Willow basket weaving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I went to Ogmore-by-Sea today for a basket weaving course with Out To Learn Willow.

I got to revise some techniques I was familiar with and learnt some new ones too. My main goal with the day was to maintain control of the stakes etc and I think I managed that quite well.

This basket is the least wonky willow thing I've made and I'm very pleased with it.IMG_20190126_162907088.jpg IMG_20190126_162904674.jpg IMG_20190126_193147018.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh excellent :D I love the colours and the whole piece looks really sound too.
Looks kind of like an apple basket, practical :)

Thank you for sharing; I miss threads like this.

Reactions: JFW and SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Oh excellent :D I love the colours and the whole piece looks really sound too.
Looks kind of like an apple basket, practical :)

Thank you for sharing; I miss threads like this.
Well there will be at least five more from me since I've signed up for several courses. :)

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well there will be at least five more from me since I've signed up for several courses. :)

So very pleased to hear it :)
Basketmaking is such a useful skill, and we have such a rich history of making them in the UK. It's also amazing just how many materials can be used to make something so practical.

M

Reactions: SaraR

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Unfortunately we don't have much willow around here. In Mid Wales (and I think North Wales) baskets have traditionally been made using hazel but to do that you have to split off the weave material (the first layer under the bark) from the cut stems which takes a long time (for a total beginner like me). It also hurts the fingers :emoji_cry:

However, seeing such great work inspires me to persevere and have another go - I'll buy some more plasters :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can make baskets from all sorts of plants though.
The oldest basketry example that we know in Europe is a fishtrap and it's made from privet. Yep, the same stuff that grows hedges. If you don't cut it them it grows long whippy stems that are excellent for basketry.
Dogwood, rushes, flag iris, brambles, briar roses, oak and chestnut splints....the list goes on and on. I've even made a tiny wee basket from linen thread, just to prove I could :)
The little one I made from the iris leaves is still going strong, and it was simple to make.

Hazel and willow do make really strong baskets though, but you don't need that 'strength' for everything. The original backpack of these isles is made from straw and rush rope. It's incredibly lightweight for the load that it'll carry.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I like your color shifts in the design. Could be hundreds of years old.
Paleo people made hundreds of these, out of grasses as well, for winter food storage.
My _first_ reaction was "I need that for a fruit basket!"

Q: What's the trick to keep the willows from sprouting? My brother created a shrub in his kitchen.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You can make baskets from all sorts of plants though.

Agreed; I need to be more adventurous. I was fortunate to have spent part of my childhood education in a North African school and we had a lesson each week on traditional crafts. I particularly remember sitting outside under the shade of a big eucalyptus tree platting raffia then stitching it into place mats and small baskets; great education :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've harvested my willow for the last couple of years and it's drying now. Hope is that once it's a bit warmer I am going to sit by my pond in the sunshine and try making a basket or two. I'll be soaking the willow in said pond. I've planted a woven willow fedge on the island which should provide some shelter too.

To the OP - that's a beautiful looking basket

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I like your color shifts in the design. Could be hundreds of years old.
Paleo people made hundreds of these, out of grasses as well, for winter food storage.
My _first_ reaction was "I need that for a fruit basket!"

Q: What's the trick to keep the willows from sprouting? My brother created a shrub in his kitchen.
I think keeping it dry would be thetmain thing. And perhaps keep out of the sun if it's fresh willow. You can also use buff willow which has had its bark removed. And it's easier to work with too.

Reactions: Robson Valley

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've harvested my willow for the last couple of years and it's drying now. Hope is that once it's a bit warmer I am going to sit by my pond in the sunshine and try making a basket or two. I'll be soaking the willow in said pond. I've planted a woven willow fedge on the island which should provide some shelter too.

To the OP - that's a beautiful looking basket
Thank you!
I have been thinking of planting some myself but not sure if I've got a good enough location available in the garden.
When I was a kid I planted a living willow domed hideaway in my parents' garden and I'd love to do some live willow structures in our current garden too, it looks so nice and is so sturdy.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Unfortunately we don't have much willow around here. In Mid Wales (and I think North Wales) baskets have traditionally been made using hazel but to do that you have to split off the weave material (the first layer under the bark) from the cut stems which takes a long time (for a total beginner like me). It also hurts the fingers :emoji_cry:

However, seeing such great work inspires me to persevere and have another go - I'll buy some more plasters :)
There are a couple of willow growers south of here and into Pembrokeshire actually.
I bought some from Musgrove just to have some good stuff to start out with, before trying out scavenged materials.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
A great European tradition. So muchcan be made from this wonderful material, from whips for animals to beds.

Yesterday’s plastic, except harmless and more lasting!

I confess that I went on a course too, in Simrishamn in Skåne.
Made a large fruit platter.
30 years ago or so! ( I was the only guy apart from the course giver)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE