Will this work in practice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
My guess would be under ideal circumstances and conditions (and a lot of time for editing) they would probably work to an extent.....if they were as good as suggested though I would have to question why soldiers from all armies in all countries world wide are still issued bigger rucksacks rather than smaller rucksacks and one of these.
The only way to know for sure would be to try one I guess but I'm betting they wont be given away free with coupons collected from the Sunday paper.

D.B.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I would have to question why soldiers from all armies in all countries world wide are still issued bigger rucksacks rather than smaller rucksacks and one of these.

They were issued with longbows right up to the point where a reliable musket became a real alternative ;)

No reason it shouldn't work, it's similar in concept to a pulk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffquSy7EYUA - this guy is a nutcase but strangely watchable).

The name is horribly contrived, MULE - Uniaxial? Enginery? Someone swallowed a book of synonyms, or should that be bacronyms.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I would want a bigger wheel with a *much* fatter tyre (or you are going to get a lot of shock bumping through to your shoulders and spine). They'd be great for long distance trail walking, particularly in countries like Australia where there can be substantial distances between water supplies.

Doesn't look to be much clearance between wheel and frame - I'd expect that to get a bit jammed with mud.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Under ideal conditions, flat roads, tracks etc. they would work fine.....long grass, sloppy mud, soft sand, brambles/briers not so sure about. The fact that it suggests twice your normal comfortable load doesn't sound so clever when it comes to having to take it on and off regularly to climb stiles, fences, cross ditches etc. I know how much easier a trolly or barrow makes it when carrying fishing gear....at least it makes it easier until it doesn't and it doesn't a lot more often than the adverts and salesmen would have you believe.

D.B.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I wish the guy well, he has a dream and is trying to make it a reality.

However, not entirely convinced with the shoulder attachment point. I'm all for experimentation but suspect it's probably more likely a patent related decision.
As a result the centre of gravity seems pretty high for lateral stability and would personally prefer more weight over the axle. Other than that it appears to do the the job intended well enough. The only real problem I can see is trying to break into the heavily saturated niche market of hiking trailers.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have converted a rucksack into a shopping trolley by fixing a pair of removable stair climbing wheels to the home made frame and adding a fold down handle to pull it. After some experimentation I find it works very well, and I could because of the nature of the handle attach that to my belt with a strap and pull it along if I were so inclined though I am content to pull it along by the handle. I have not been anywhere really rough, but it works on the average footpath cum bridleway. My reasons for doing this are because I have been experiencing a lot of shoulder pain from rucksack carry over any distance so I thought I would make the best of two worlds. Carry it on my back where it is impractical to drag it, and drag it where it is more comfortable to do so.

Lancer165l

Jul 28, 2016
Windermere
I can imagine what a strong side wind would do to this device!

And as for soldiers being issued them, a night time bug - out, or withdrawal in contact, would be a huge cluster - ****.

How about stowage on a vehicle? It would be interesting to see that.

It looks a good concept but useful only under certain conditions.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I can see this causing back & hip joint issues if used long term. Esp over loading it, going over really rough terrain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE