Wild Weather and Power Cuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
The weather here in fife is pritty tame compared to some other parts although when i got in from work tonight i was pretty excited to see the lights flickering i was secretly hoping for a power cut.

The last power cut i experienced was at new year a few years ago at a friends farm in aberfeldy, there was a good crowd and all the neighbors congregated with candles and bottles and was really great atmosphere one of the best new years ever.

before that the last power cuts i recall was as a kid, and cooking toast and marshmallows on the coal fire.

I know its not that much fun to be without power for days on end but i think ill shut the pc light a candle and sit down with a book as the wind and sleet batters the window :)

Stoo.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got called out for our Motherwell depot going down about eight o'clock. Apparently they're still on gennies but I'm not planning on driving up because there's nowt I can do about it anyway.

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
The lights never went out here yet, but my kids were making toast at the fire earlier and had a great time while the wind is howling and the sleet is coming down.

It's great how a fire can bring so much enjoyment.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Our power's cut out three times so far tonight, and each time the computers shut down and did the long restart :sigh:
The trees along side the house are fair shifting in this wind too :eek:
The snow's really coming down now and it's starting to lie instead of thawing right away.
I've got the lanterns, stoves and matches ready just in case.

I think it's an early night for us, curl up under the duvets and see what the morning brings :)

Stay safe,

cheers,
M

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Hopefully we'll not get the worst here...i'm out of gas for one lantern and cannae find the new ane:rolleyes:

Hope the gas camp fire will work without blowin' up as it's prone to.

Still at least the candles are pretty much infallible.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hopefully we'll not get the worst here...i'm out of gas for one lantern and cannae find the new ane:rolleyes:

Hope the gas camp fire will work without blowin' up as it's prone to.

Still at least the candles are pretty much infallible.

It's Sod's Law isn't it ? :)
The bit that bugs me is that our gas heating is electrically controlled :rolleyes:
We're fine, but not many of my neighbours will be if the power does go out for long.

cheers,
Mary

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Well we have a Parkray fire, and a bag of coke costs us £13.50. We go through two bags a week and keep the fire going 24/7/365.

No snow in Durham, but it's been pouring down all day and it's below zero tonight. Skating rink roads in the morning methinks!

Eric

I just heard today that a bag of coal is now c. £14:eek:
and oil is a min. £500 per order (fainted)...

Tell me about it, when I first filled my oil tank when I got the house I was still in shock for days afterwards at the price. Mains gas isnt an option for us.

The lights were flickering a bit last night and I was getting ready with the stoves for making me tea, which I did back in January when we lost power for a night. So glad that I have all that kit. :)

Parts of Aberdeenshire were out this morning though.

Plenty of snow as well this morning, managed to make it into work after shovelling the drift snow (thats one of the problems having a house on the end of a row).

I wondered when I got to work how many people who lived in the City centre couldnt make it in because of the snow. Hmmm.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
My work is ten miles west of Edinburgh city centre, we had 5 inches of snow this morning (and rising), the leccy is off and could be off all night. Thankfully the polytunnels survived all of the branches that fell from the pine trees last night. We have 15 volunteers and residents to find temporary, alternative accomodation and the lack of leccy means the propagators are all cooling down.

Still at least we're all having a fine time mucking about cooking stuff on alternative aparatus. I feel for the kiddies that were in the South Lanark bus crash this morning.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Aye that was a tragedy this morning,so easy for anyone to lose control in such conditions and if it's a slide,very little you can do.

My sympathies to those who've lost and been injured.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
just had some snow, not staying though, hard rain all day although I can see some sun beams cutting through onto the field behind me. Compared to you all up there though it's lovely here :-(

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Lights were flickering a lot last night and the night before in Ayr, The house is only 4 years old so must be a prob with the main supply. Would actually quite like a power cut, get the lanterns and candles on, guitar out and not have swmbo watching soaps the bl**dy tv on all night lol :D

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
My misses went to Eyemouth this morning to nip into the co-op to get some bread etc,when she got there it was closed due to the Sea coming through the roof! its not far from the harbour walls which arent much really, ive seen it break over the wall before but it must have been something to flood over the co-op, apparently a similar thing happened at North Berwick,and as for price of coal we pay 15 quid for anthracite,and bag of best is 17 quid here, it hurts my wallet just taking about it.

EdS

no snow here - plus we have private sub-station, oil heating (yes ouch when filling it) 2 wood burners, 1 a Frankilin stove.

While we get electy when most of the area is down we also tend to loose power more often due to the re-construction work on site. Including the time the 360 excatator driver put the bucket through an unmapped high voltage (kV one) - poor bloke was trapped in the cab for most of the day due to metal tracks etc.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep, it's a beautiful sunny evening here :D
Bitter cold wind driven sleet this morning though :(

That's a bad bit of road that the bus came off :sigh: It's just about half a mile from where we'd planned the New Year meet up at Wiston.
I reckon the driver must have been aiming for the M74 by going from Lanark along the A73.
You can only feel heart sorry for the families though, and the kids themselves must be pretty shattered.

Toddy

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I have nearly 3ft of snow in my garden and it is still snowing as it has been for 24hours! Really fed up of it now. How can I roll my Easter egg in this?:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It'd make a hell of a snowball Fred :D
Hear ? You could have a shot at an igloo :cool:

Seriously, is it just me ? or has this Winter had it all ?
Frankly I'm astonished when I get up and the trees are still there after all this weather.

Hope everyone stays safe,

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE