Wild Strawberry syrup :-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The little hautbois strawberries are fruiting merrily; they taste almost sweetie strawberry like :) nothing like the overblown almost tasteless supermarket fruits. They make a most wonderfully tasty syrup that is excellent in home made chocolates as well as for deserts. I like a little in tea in the late Autumn when the first cold, damp chills come in.
I know of them as this name from childhood, but I think of these as our wild strawberry since they grow so profusely along burnsides, etc., I don't think they're pure hautbois, I think they must surely be a mix, but the scent and taste is wonderful :)

9267782121_c6d6445e68.jpg

They always have a little present for those who look :) from early spring right through to late autumn. They're setting out runners now, I will happily bag and post a few.

Wild Strawberry Syrup Recipe.
I pick the ripe ones, even the 'raisined' dryish looking ones, and then just and no more, cover them in water.

9267783357_171691fbc1.jpg

9270567682_39cdf91425.jpg

Bring to the boil, cover and turn off the heat. Leave until they're cool. Overnight's fine. Stain through a sieve lined with muslin or paper kitchen towels (works really well), measure the liquid and add the equivalent of sugar. If I get 500ml of liquid, I add 500g of sugar.
I'm not making jam or jelly, I'm making syrup. That means that I don't want to boil for ages, I don't want the cooked fruit taste, I want the sweet strawberry flavour in something that preserves it tastily.
Bring slowly to the boil, stirring until all the sugar crystals are dissolved.

9270569594_6d39dcf604.jpg

There will be a little froth, gently skim it off into a small bowl. Don't throw it away, it might not be quite as pretty as the syrup but it's great over ice cream or to dip bread into :) I let the liquid reduce a little, and then remove the pot from the heat.
Meanwhile prepare bottles by washing and rinsing in boiling water. This year I'm using the wired ones, but tbh, usually I just use washed out condiment bottles and they work fine. Just make sure the lids aren't tainted and are sound enough to seal well.

I pour the hot, but not boiling, liquid into very warm bottles and seal pretty much straight away. I really don't want anything in there to cause any fermentation, but there should be enough sugar in the mix to keep everything sound anyway.
If you pour too hot liquid into too hot jars or bottles the syrup will boil, and that's messy and not advised. It's a 'think about what you're doing' kind of activity this :D

I have more photos; and I will get them uploaded, but if you're out for a wander and come across the wild strawberries, they're well worth picking for the syrup.
It lasts very well indeed (when you manage to hide a bottle :rolleyes: ) and it a lovely remembrance of Summer late on in the year. It not only makes excellent robbs for medicines, but adds to tisanes, chocolates and desserts too. It's actually very soothing on a sore throat from a hoasty cough as well.

atb,
Mary

Reactions: Kav and beachlover

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmm Mary looks good. I'm not a fan of strawberries in general, the big ones smell better than they taste. But the little wild ones are fantastic - what a strawberry should taste like. They syrup makes a nice cordial too.

I am a bigger fan of raspberries, currents (red, black and white)and goosegogs (gooseberries to our southern chums).

Nice informative post though.

Though when making syrup and not jam you don't get to have "skimmings" though.;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The skimmings from the syrup are too runny for spreading on a piece Colin :sigh: but it's lovely to dip fresh bread into :cool:

Normally I agree with you about strawberries, but see if you mix strawberries with rhubarb ? it makes a really lovely jam :D

Niels, this is an outtake from a much longer article that's being written in the Mods, but I picked more strawberries yesterday and thought that this bit should go up now.

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Always lovely - we are getting about 2lbs of strawberries a day at the moment - I'm thinking of rhubarb and strawberry crumble soon :)

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yummmmm !!! I hope mine will give more crop - I keep eating them as I go past! We just had a gentle soft rain this morning which will have done them good so if they do crop again, and there are pollinated flowers to come still, will have a go at this. I'm moving a goodly crowd of wild-runners down to the Woody Bit later on when it stops burning everything as I want more of them. Got raspberry canes in there last year, doing well, might make framboise! My garden strawberries (organic/biodynamic) are sooooo much nicer than the water-filled supermarket ones :), have some everbearers this year which are doing nicely.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The skimmings from the syrup are too runny for spreading on a piece Colin :sigh: but it's lovely to dip fresh bread into :cool:

Normally I agree with you about strawberries, but see if you mix strawberries with rhubarb ? it makes a really lovely jam :D

Niels, this is an outtake from a much longer article that's being written in the Mods, but I picked more strawberries yesterday and thought that this bit should go up now.

atb,
M

Strawberries and rhubarb... Hmm sounds good never tried that combo before. And BR in a crumble sounds too good. Have always stuck to rhubarb and ginger or rhubarb and plum in the past. But really fancy the sound of that mix Mary.

Skimmings just remind me of being a kid and waiting by the open window as they cooled enough on the sill to taste.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Rosehip syrup is the only commercially produced foodstuff made from predominantly foraged ingredients I believe.......

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Your place looks like heaven thumbs up to you for the shear amount of work you have done your an inspiration

Have you tried making leather from your fruits ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks very industrious and productive, BR :D Nice stash for the pantry :cool:

Funny just how good rhubarb and strawberry are together :D Makes a great filling for little frangipani tarts too with almond paste on top :)

Rhubarb and ginger is the commoner mixture up here though, it's another perennial good thing :D

atb,
Mary

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not tried the Rhubarb and Straberry yet (YET!). Sounds like it would be fandabydozy on Brown Bread Ice-Cream instead of the usual Raspberry Coulis. This isn't my recipie, it's tucked away in a book upstairs: -

Brown bread ice-cream is an old-fashioned English recipe. It is made from vanilla ice-cream plus crunchy caramelised bread crumbs. Ingredients

• 4 large egg yolks
  • 3 oz (90g) caster sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cornflour
  • ½ vanilla pod
  • ½ pint (0.3 L) milk
  • 2 oz (60g) butter
  • 3 oz (90g) crustless wholemeal bread
  • 2 oz (60g) soft light brown sugar
  • ½ pint (0.3 L) double cream
1 oz = 28.35g rounded up in this recipe to 30g
1 UK pint = 0.568 Litres
Equipment

• Weighing scales
  • Measuring jug
  • Pan
  • Wooden spoon
  • Sharp knife
  • Whisk

Making and cooking it

1. Crumble the wholemeal brown bread
  2. Mix the brown sugar with the melted butter and add the crumbs
  3. Stir well then spread the mixture on a baking sheet
  4. Bake the crumbs in a pre-heated oven at 180 centigrade for 15-20 minutes, turning from time to time until they are toasted and crisp
  5. Allow to cool
  6. Cut the vanilla pod open and scrape out the seeds
  7. Pour the milk into a heavy-based saucepan, add the vanilla pod and seeds and bring to the boil
  8. Remove from the heat and leave for 15 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse
  9. Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a bowl until thick and pale
  10. Gradually pour on the hot milk, whisking constantly
  11. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring all the time
  12. When the custard thickens and coats the back of the spoon, strain out the pod and cool
  13. Stir the cream into the custard and churn the mixture until thick
  14. Take the breadcrumbs and crumble up any lumps
  15. Stir the crumbs into the mixture
  16. Churn for 5-10 minutes until ready to serve

Reactions: Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I do something similar although a bit easier: I just cut the berries and smother with sugar (no water and no boiling) Put in the fridge overnight and the sugar will draw the syrup out of the berries.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I do something similar although a bit easier: I just cut the berries and smother with sugar (no water and no boiling) Put in the fridge overnight and the sugar will draw the syrup out of the berries.

Hi Santaman, the technical term is called "Maceration" (in case you want to know?) Here a wee LINK about it. :)

ATB,
Colin.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, that's good too, but it'll ferment and go tangy really quickly, if the mould doesn't get it first :sigh: it's how we start off the rhubarb for jam making; it pulls the juice.
The boiled syrup lasts long past the strawberries are gone :)

Colin, that sounds really really tasty....and me trying to stay gluten and dairy free :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE