Wild Snake Rescue (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I know that in some countries there are more snakes than people would like. In certain countries my first inclination might have been to bash it over the head with a spade and ask questions later. However this is England and we don't have many snakes. This one is a grass snake, it is non venomous and I thought I ought to rescue it and it was an interesting project to do with the kids.

I've never seen a snake in the wild in England before so I was quite surprised to find this one stuck on my allotment. Although I'd never seen one before I was pretty confident that it was a grass snake and not an escaped pet with enough venom to kill a horse.

It had somehow managed to squeeze its body into some plastic netting that I was covering my fruit bushes with, not just through one loop in the netting but through several, and had become stuck.

The netting is pretty tough and it was actually cutting into the snake's skin.

snake01.jpg

Here it is stuck in the netting.

snake02.jpg

I realized that I wasn't going to get it out of the netting without hurting it so I cut the netting off around the snake and took it home.

Now grass snakes aren't venomous but that doesn't mean they won't try to protect themselves. I guess they can bite and I wasn't 100% sure that my ID was correct so I made sure I avoided that possibility. The main defences mechanisms it has are to either make an awful smell from their anus or to play dead. This snake decided to make an awful smell and it was pretty bad.

Here's the snake at home under a lamp and magnifying glass with me carefully cutting the netting from it. This was difficult to do without hurting the snake. And it kept making an awful stink.

snake03.jpg

This snake was well and truly caught up in the netting. I had to cut away about ten loops that it had squeezed through. I really don't know how it managed to do this. I've used the same netting for years and never had any problems with wildlife getting caught in it before.

I had my wife call the RSPCA to see if there was any advice they could give us but as usual they weren't very useful.

Here it is free at last (that's my daughter's hand).

snake04.jpg

There were a few cuts on its body were the plastic netting had dug into it but they looked superficial and I felt confident that if I returned it to my allotment it would stand a pretty good chance of surviving (at least until something preyed on it :rolleyes:).

I put it in a cardboard box and let it go close to where I'd found it.

snake05.jpg

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Nice one Rebel, glad it never hit over the head with a spade..lol . It looks quite healthy now. I've handled a couple before now and been put off by the smell. Well done.Thanks for sharing.
Darren

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
poor snake! glad you rescued it
not surprised rspca didnt help- they are useless to be fair... they usually have the cheek to phone you back at a later date and ask for money, dispite their rubbish advice and services

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats great

At least you didnt bash it over the head (decapitate more like) like a true animal lover would have gleefully done.

Sad to say, I have witnessed this.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Nice one. It's a female.

Sadly, grass snakes get caught in garden netting all too frequently in this country due to their scales allowing them to go in, but not back out.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They are beautiful snakes. It amazes me how calm all our species of snakes get after being handled for a few minutes. They all calm down really quickly and alow you to handle them, even the adder (although I don't recommend anyone go out and try that observation). You certainly can't say that about 95% of the wild snakes I've caught in other parts of the globe. They just go nuts.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They are beautiful snakes. It amazes me how calm all our species of snakes get after being handled for a few minutes. They all calm down really quickly and alow you to handle them, even the adder (although I don't recommend anyone go out and try that observation). You certainly can't say that about 95% of the wild snakes I've caught in other parts of the globe. They just go nuts.

Is that for business or pleasure JD ? I saw loads in Mexico but the last thing on my mind was to try and catch one. The ones that swam up beside me in the lagoon gave me the creeps.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Is that for business or pleasure JD ? I saw loads in Mexico but the last thing on my mind was to try and catch one. The ones that swam up beside me in the lagoon gave me the creeps.

Bit of both. Even when I'm on holiday I always seem to be looking for the native reptiles.

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
Nice action by you Rebel. Didn't knew that snakes were so difficult to find in your country. Here it's normal to hear the debris on ground movin' because a snake is avoiding me and very often I see them. In Portugal they are called "Cobra de Água de Colar", wich translated means "Collar Water Snake" and they're often found near rivers or humid places like high grass and it's not unusual to see them cross some local roads.

Unfortunetaly many people in my country are not informed and think that this and other snake species only do bad thing to their chickens and cattle so whenever they see one snake they try to kill them :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE