Wild camping videos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
I don't know if anyone's overly intrerested, but I'm in the midst of producing a You Tube video series about wild camping. I apologise in advance for errors in content, dodgy editing and poor camera work. It's a pretty steep learning curve.

Admin edit: awaiting answer to questions relevant to rule 7 found here

(the r4nger5 thing is a group media project that I help out with)

I'd appreciate any feedback as far as content and constructive griticism goes.

Thanks in advance

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
V4V,
While I appreciate that a number of folk enjoy "Wild Camping", it remains, in law an illegal act of trespass - as such we are loathe to condone it as acceptable here on BCUK. All camping in England and Wales should be undertaken with full permission of the landowner, following any guidline or restrictions that he imposes.

I'll check this out with the rest of the moderating team and get back to you as to the ability to post such videos on this website, and whether it contravenes the firum rules.

Your understanding in this matter is appreciated.

Ogri the trog

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Are there people or organisations out there fighting for the law to be changed?

I would hope, given the size of this forum, that it's owners and moderators would or could be representing our interests at a political level?

Are we open for debate on access laws? Given the amount of members here, I think most would be willing to donate financially and provide support in Pershing a change in the access laws.

I personally would rather feel like a mature adult indulging in a sensible hobby than a petty criminal if I wanted to pitch a tent in my local woods.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Wild camping is legal on large stretches of Dartmoor and is "tolerated" in remote, usually mountain areas. In umpteen years of wild camping I have never been troubled by anyone trying to move me on. The law exists so as not to allow people to set up semi permanent camps on land they do not own and seems to be a "hammer to crack a nut" situation. In lowland areas I seek permission, use a campsite or "stealth camp". which I think is a better term that wild camping for the sort of "bivi bag in the woods as I am passing through" sort of camping that does not involve setting up a great deal of equipment. Camping late and moving on early is the key. The US lightweight backpacking gur Ray Jardine suggests eating your eveniong meal in one location and walking on for an hour or so before finding as place to sleep and I have found this a geat way to avoid being "found" - although he advises it to avoid being found by bears!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
yes there are and there's new laws that are being considered for access.

Nope, we're not involved in representing you at a political level, the moderators volunteer their time and energy on top of full time lives. We are not a political movement and we remain neutral in most instances.

We would all like to feel like we're acting within the law when we're camping, however at present wild camping in this form if not done with the land owners permission is trespass and if it's in some areas it's criminal law that you're breaking, such as Rail land. We cannot condone this hence our reticence in letting threads like this stand.

it's hard because the nature of the whole thing it obscure (other than the fact it is definitely trespass) it is sometimes accepted, in Scotland it’s not always trespass with the laws on access that they’ve introduced, sometimes there are local bylaws that allow or don’t, in some areas over a certain height is ok, most not. In Dartmoor The right to wild camping is actually enshrined in the National Parks & Access to the Countryside Act, 1949 amendment Dartmoor Commons Act, 1985.

Article 6 states:

6 Camping

(1) No person shall knowingly use any vehicle, including a caravan or any structure other than a tent for the purpose of camping on the access land or land set out for the use or parking of vehicles except on any area which may be set apart and indicated by notice as a place where such camping is permitted.

(2) No person shall knowingly erect a tent on the access land for the purpose of camping:
(a) in any area listed in Schedule 2 to these byelaws;
(b) within 100 metres of any public road or in any enclosure.
(3) No person shall camp in a tent on the same site on the access land for more than two consecutive nights, except on any area which may be set apart and indicated by notice as a place where such camping is permitted.
So that implies that you can camp there if you’re within those rules.

The government said:
This Government appreciates the potential benefits of wild camping in England and its attractiveness to campers who already have the opportunity to camp in the wild in Scotland.
The Land Reform Act in Scotland allows for wild camping, but the land issues and the legislation in England are somewhat different. The introduction of wild camping in England would be a controversial issue, which would require both significant consultation and legislative change.
On open access land wild camping is prohibited under Schedule 2 of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000, which lists all restricted activities. Therefore, new Regulations would be required to exclude wild camping as a restricted activity. Any change to the current rules on wild camping in National Parks and Ministry of Defence land would require new primary legislation.
The Government has no plans to allocate the necessary resources to consider proposals for such legislation at present, and is concentrating on following up the successful introduction of 750,000 hectares of open access land with new legislation on access to the coast in the Marine Bill, which is currently going through Parliament.

At the moment there is no right to wild camp in England and Wales, if you want to camp in the wilds a trip to Scotland would be good :D What I’ve often found to work is actually asking for permission but for some that’s not the point, some want to wild camp without permission feeling that they should not have to ask.

Anyway, I digress. Unless this Vid is was made in Scotland it’s promoting trespass and even though he might be taking very good care of the environment and leaving no trace many will follow this example, trespass and reinforce the argument not to permit wild camping because of the mess they make, a dilemma for us, well for me :D

So, no thread promoting wild camping, I’m happy for the laws to be discussed, the subject is ok as long as it stays non political and doesn’t deteriorate into a slagging match, which is what nearly all political threads do. If someone is working towards better access we will think about supporting it.

Leigh...
...there's already been a very large petition to Number 10.

It essentially asked for legislation modelled on the Scottish access laws.

The response, while a lot more verbose, basically boiled down to "Go and whistle. We'll do nothing of the sort. Everything is just fine the way it is."

(EDIT: I see Tony posted the actual response a couple of posts above while I was typing this lot.)

It's going to be a very long haul to get anything approaching sensible access in the rest of the UK.

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
interesting responses - i'll be interested to see what happens - I think it' important to note that I advise on the legal issues early on in the series, and that I dont condone randomly using other people's land without their permiission, at any point.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ahh, sorry I watched some but not all so i've missed that bit, so you're camping wild as in not a camp site , in the woods where there's few others but you've got permission and your not trespassing.

K, in that instance i've got no problem with it being on here as a great informative Vid that will hopefully inspire people to get out and enjoy themselves.

Good stuff V4V, i'll watch some more later.

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
Where was it filmed V4V?

I think it's a much more interesting exploration of the clearly political level of moderation on this site not to say, at this point. To accuse me of trespass is much more interesting, especially given my stance in the legalities section.

Also, given that it's such a shocking idea, and the tone is mostly negative, why would I want to complicate the life of the landowner with requests for permission to camp?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ehh, sorry that doesn't make much sense to me :confused:

Ok, are you camping in Scotland or are you trespassing in another part of the UK or are you wild camping with the landowners permission?

I thought we'd sorted this with your last post where you said you did not encourage people to camp without permission.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I think this is a good idea which will help many people with maybe newer ideas and a handle on real world problems. We all as humans, adults, resonsible people blah blah blah take the responibillity ourselves to gain permission with land owners prior to advancing on any land.

Just because I like fast car movies, does not mean I will break the law and drive my car fast..

As for political, no no no, dont go there. Its not I think a bush crafter thing and causes more arguments then is required. This would be like having a God thread on here.

I understand that Bushcraft UK may not allow this thread to continue, fairplay, it is there site after all to do as they wish and it is in the rules of the forum regarding the issues here, I will however continue to follow this on you tube as it does interest me.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
As it interests me, i'd just like to know where i stand as the site owner, it is me that will get letters from legal representatives and the like (it has happened a number of times) and i'll have to spend my time dealing with them etc, so any issue like this is worht me knowing where i stand.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Did someone mention god and politics on an internet forum?
we're all doomed!!!

on a serious note, the mods aren't being funny, its just from a legal perspective they have to watch out for the site, tony is the owner and as he states he has to deal with anything we post on this site. for instance if you posted i dunno pics of you poaching deer or something tony's the one that gets the wrap simply for allowing the content to be hosted on the site. its not a great position to be in tbh. i've been the one dishing out the notices and dealing with site owners before and its not nice.

anyhoo, lets not get into the politics and whatnot. if the vid was filmed within the letter of the law then why can't it stay? if not then its not mean that its removed its just sensible. both from the owners point of view and our continued enjoyment of this site.

however V4V, must comment on some great vids ;)

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
The vids may be great, maybe even the best, but I'm afraid you lost me at "2012".
Sorry.

Bigshot, I would not insult Tony or any other member on here by displaying a link to a dedicated site for it or by explaining it as its not a bushcraft theme, but if you search " 2012 mayan calender", you may get some answers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE