Wild camping tent advice...for me and the missus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
Hi all,

So...the better half and I are off to do a bit of wild camping in a few weeks time so I'm on the hunt for a new tent.

• I am looking for something fairly decent
  • 3 berth so we aren't too cramped
  • Light and small enough to carry around all day walking.
  • Budgeting around the £100 mark

So far it seems a mix between the following;
Coleman Cobra 3
Vango Banshee 300
Wild Country Coshee 3

Any recommendations on any of these? Or have a missed an alternative that's really good?

I know there are a few posts similar to this, which I've trawled through. But I'd like a bit of specific guidance on the ones I've found if that's possible...so any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
Hello,
I have the banshee 200 for myself and If my better half was into wild camping I would of gone for the 300. Check out a local store that stocks them and ask them to set one up for you so you can have a nose at it.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
banshee 200 here also top tent although not much head height which is worth considering with the missus as getting dressed in one is awkward cant see the 300 offering more headroom maybe head to go outdoors and look at one in the flesh but for a lightweight cheap tent the banshee is ideal dont know much about the other ones but they are similar shape so may offer similar problem. The tempest 300 may offer more headroom have a good look at the stats before you buy.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Your local Cotswold might have a tent show coming up (my local one has one going at the moment) - its worth actually seeing them up, to see if it suits

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
Thanks people - will probably trying and get up to the Cotswold store today - they have the Banshee 300 at £99.
I guess they are all fairly similar, Coleman seems to have a touch of extra height but nothing much in it.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Check that you can pitch either outer first, or inner/outer together. If you can't discard the tent as an option. Pitching inner first in the rain will not lead to a happy night in the tent.

Julia

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Check that you can pitch either outer first, or inner/outer together. If you can't discard the tent as an option. Pitching inner first in the rain will not lead to a happy night in the tent.

Julia

As long as it doesn't take too long to setup I don't mind inner first J, unless it's a real monsoon a slightly wet inner will soon dry out once the fly is on.

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
Thanks again guys. Have just been into a Cotswold Outdoors and they had a Vango 2 man set up and it was definitely a bit on the tight side. They had a Vango Banshee 300 in there and the pack size and weight were pretty good! Seems tents have come on a bit while I've been slung in a hammock with a tarp.

Mahomasy

Aug 13, 2013
Sweden
Just used the Cobra 3 for four wet and windy days in the Scottish Highlands.

Was fairly spacious for 2 big lads and held up well. Really easy to pitch too, about 5 minutes more or less. I really love the big stuff sack it comes with, makes it really easy to pack away.

The only gripe I have is that the fly zips could be a bit fiddly to get up and down without catching, maybe I had it a bit too taut though..

Gets my vote anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
Thanks Kieran.

So, ran the Luxe Habitat past the missus and she loved it. So I think I'm going to order one of those. Will try and do a bit of a kit review on it after our trip as there doesn't seem to be that much info on it.

Thanks all for your input

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
The Habitat has arrived! Bought from Backpackinglight.co.uk - arrived super quick and with a bag of Skittles in the box, great touch.

Tent was up in the living room in a few minutes. Love it. Will do a proper review after our trip next week!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE