Wild camping kit list for Northern Sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Hey peeps,

I'm a reasonably experienced wild camper, and very used to cold snowy trips in the UK, but a Swedish mate and I are planning a trip to Northern Sweden next year and I was wondering if there were any pearls of wisdom over what special kit I might need.

We're thinking of doing a late autumn trip, maybe October, and will be hiking so need to be able to carry our gear.

I've got the usual thermarest, foam roll mats, bivvy bag, tarp, 4 season down bag, and a bunch of other gear , but it's those often overlooked little pearls that I'm really after!

Cheers

Chris

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Brynglas

Two big nalgene bottles, one to fill with hot water to use as a hot water bottle, the other to use during the night to avoid getting out of your tent. Other than that I sure you'll be fine. If the weather is bad there is a good network of huts around the place. I travel up to Sweden fairly regularly, where are you going??

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Hi there,
Still working out where to go exactly. Think there's somewhere called the King's trail, or something like that. Maybe there, but not settled on a destination yet.

You mention a tent. Is it unwise to use Bivvi and tarp then? I've never thought that tents keep you any warmer than a good sleeping bag, proper ground protection and a Bivvi. Is it advisable to use a tent then?

What clothes do you take? I've got the usual thermal layer, good trousers and waterproof over trousers, fleece, etc, but any other recommendations?

Cheers

Chris

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Brynglas

The Kings Trail is a long stretch of train from Abisko to Tarnaby, I visit Hemavan which is near the South of the trail often. I've done sections of the trail on foot and on ski in winter buhavent had a go at the complete trail. Bivvying is OK depending on the weather but the temperatures can get very low and you'll welcome the chance to dry your gear. If you google Kungsleden you should see some vids of people on the trail.
The Kungsleden is very well served with huts that are decent places to stay, dry out and warm up.
As far as clothes are concerned, late autumn can be a funny time, you can get the full range of weather. It can get cold though, you need to remember you're in the arctic circle and you need to be ready for real winter conditions. Layers, insulation, decent socks, gloves/ mitts and boots.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
I'd also go for a heated tent, doesn't take that long to erect and can be a potential life saver. After two days you'll be glad you can properly dry out stuff, you have the chance to hang out in the same place for perhaps two days... Will you be camping or hiking? If hiking you might want to opt to rent/make a pulk and some snowshoes.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Two big nalgene bottles, one to fill with hot water to use as a hot water bottle, the other to use during the night to avoid getting out of your tent. Other than that I sure you'll be fine. If the weather is bad there is a good network of huts around the place. I travel up to Sweden fairly regularly, where are you going??

Excellent advice, save for one thing. I'd avoid using the same shape bottles for drinking water and night relief. It's an accident waiting to happen. :)
(The same goes for fuel bottles if you carry any. I use army canteens or bladders for water, sigg-type bottles for fuel, and a wide mouth sports bottle for those long winter nights.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE