Wild camping in Yorkshire or there abouts.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
Hi all can anybody recommend and good wild camping spots in Yorkshire or surrounding areas? Looking for woodland ideally that is away enough to get away with a fire and somewhere were not likely to bump into loads of other people. Planning a 2 dayer with a pal with the focus been on tree and plant identification and bow drill practice. Cheers guys

Hagrid

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2013
North Devon
remember: there is no such thing as wild camping, all land in this country is owned by some one, you may be asked to move on.

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
Cheers hagrid. This is just the way it is. If you don't want to be in the middle of the caravans and families then you have to do it this way. We have done it in the Lakes a lot but it is kind of accepted up there. Just looking for somewhere closer to home for regular trips. If I find a good spot for regular use i would be approaching the land owner for permission anyway and hopefully make some kind of arrangement as we are looking for a base to practice our skills and trips to the lakes can become expensive if you're doing it a lot with the price of fuel nowadays.

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
Sounds good i'd be well up for that. Will have to confirm closer the time as i don't have my shifts for work yet but well up for tapping you all for knowledge and giving you a laugh watching a 6ft 4, 20 stone guy getting into a £30 Gelert solo 1 man tent ;)

Hagrid

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2013
North Devon
Cheers hagrid. This is just the way it is. If you don't want to be in the middle of the caravans and families then you have to do it this way. We have done it in the Lakes a lot but it is kind of accepted up there. Just looking for somewhere closer to home for regular trips. If I find a good spot for regular use i would be approaching the land owner for permission anyway and hopefully make some kind of arrangement as we are looking for a base to practice our skills and trips to the lakes can become expensive if you're doing it a lot with the price of fuel nowadays.
yeah, I have done a lot of camping on Dartmoor, if its just one of you they tend to leave you alone, no open fires are allowed, and if you only stay one night and move on, then nothing is said.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Last edited:

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
I like the look of that. I've been looking for a light 1 or 2 man tent for a while that is suitable for somebody my height. On paper the gelert solo ticked all the boxes but in reality my head and feet are touching the inner of the tent. I'm thinking of getting a tarp and just sleeping under that in woodland in warmer months. But i need something for the lakes also when were high up and there are no trees and the winds can get pretty bad.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Sounds good i'd be well up for that. Will have to confirm closer the time as i don't have my shifts for work yet but well up for tapping you all for knowledge and giving you a laugh watching a 6ft 4, 20 stone guy getting into a £30 Gelert solo 1 man tent ;)

lol, fook knows how you get in that. I've got one (Was my first solo tent) and found it too small and I'm about 5ft2 and 14st.

You would be most welcome on the meet bud :)

I like the look of that. I've been looking for a light 1 or 2 man tent for a while that is suitable for somebody my height. On paper the gelert solo ticked all the boxes but in reality my head and feet are touching the inner of the tent. I'm thinking of getting a tarp and just sleeping under that in woodland in warmer months. But i need something for the lakes also when were high up and there are no trees and the winds can get pretty bad.

Whats your budget bud?

A good choice would be the Wild Country Zephyros 1 or 2. The pre-2013 version would be cheaper. Its a great tent and is basically the cheaper version of the Terra Nova Laser (Made by same people).

Another good choice would be the new Sil-MiniPeak or the MiniPeak II, Its a tarp tent and my latest purchase (Sil version) :D

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire

I'm about the same build by the sounds of things mate, and I've used my Coleman Libra x1 comfortably. not a bad little tent.

I paid about £40 for one in Winfields at garforth. But if you're ever in the Castleford area, give us a shout, you can try it out.

http://www.coleman.eu/p-25876-libra-x1.aspx

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
lol, fook knows how you get in that. I've got one (Was my first solo tent) and found it too small and I'm about 5ft2 and 14st.

You would be most welcome on the meet bud :)

Whats your budget bud?

A good choice would be the Wild Country Zephyros 1 or 2. The pre-2013 version would be cheaper. Its a great tent and is basically the cheaper version of the Terra Nova Laser (Made by same people).

Another good choice would be the new Sil-MiniPeak or the MiniPeak II, Its a tarp tent and my latest purchase (Sil version) :D

I put it up for the first time in Middleton Woods the other night it gave my wife a good chuckle. Loving the look of the mini peak. I think i would still struggle with the length but the space you get for the size and weight ios awesome.

Last edited:

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
I'm about the same build by the sounds of things mate, and I've used my Coleman Libra x1 comfortably. not a bad little tent.

I paid about £40 for one in Winfields at garforth. But if you're ever in the Castleford area, give us a shout, you can try it out.

http://www.coleman.eu/p-25876-libra-x1.aspx

The coleman looks good and i like the price. How tall are you? really been struggling with this height thing, seems if your over 6 ft your screwed. Will definitely give you a shout when i'm over your way and you have spare time. never heard of Winfields do they have tents set up in store? swright are you the Steve Wright who did the baton test on Hillbill's knife on youtube?

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
The coleman looks good and i like the price. How tall are you? really been struggling with this height thing, seems if your over 6 ft your screwed. Will definitely give you a shout when i'm over your way and you have spare time. never heard of Winfields do they have tents set up in store? swright are you the Steve Wright who did the baton test on Hillbill's knife on youtube?

I'm about 6'3", at am very comfortable in it.
I'm free most days mate. Winfields is just off the a63 roundabout near aberford, and the tents are all set up it the back.

Aye, I was involved with the hillbill knife baton video, but I was holding the camera. Chiseller was doing the test.

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
I'm about 6'3", at am very comfortable in it.
I'm free most days mate. Winfields is just off the a63 roundabout near aberford, and the tents are all set up it the back.

Aye, I was involved with the hillbill knife baton video, but I was holding the camera. Chiseller was doing the test.

Nice one. Winfields sell on ebay now they have that tent for £49 which i don't think is bad at all. I'm returning the gelert tent as when i ordered it on ebay it was advertised as a Highlander Blackthorn tent not the gelert solo. The reviews online for it are shocking as regards leaking and such. It looks like the highlander and the gelert are the same tent with a different name but i wouldn't have bought it if i had read the reviews. I think i'll nip up to Winfields tomorrow as i'm off up Seacroft way and it's not too far from there. If i can fit in the libra without lubing up or the use of a crowbar then i think i'll give it a go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE