Wild Camping In Norway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 7, 2018
Lewes
Hello,

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has been wild camping in Norway. Some friends and I are looking at going next March. We aim to either ski or snowshoe and camp using tarps. We did a trip to Evo Hiking Area this April using lean to shelters which had firepits and hope to do the same in Norway. The area we are looking at is Nordmarka due to it's proximity to Oslo (we only have a few days for the trip). If anyone has any words of wisdom they would be gratefully received.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
If you only have a few days, either do a loop from the last train stop at Frognerseteren to Sognsvann Station. Plenty of places to camp along the way or pop higher up to Lille Aklungen.

Not too far out of Oslo and as hard or as easy as you want to make it, either sticking to the plowed road or off piste.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
If you only have a few days, either do a loop from the last train stop at Frognerseteren to Sognsvann Station. Plenty of places to camp along the way or pop higher up to Lille Aklungen.

Not too far out of Oslo and as hard or as easy as you want to make it, either sticking to the plowed road or off piste.

I'm afraid to say all the pics on the relevant threads from the trips I was involved in are gone.... (imageshack and photobucket)

Here's one Twodogs did going that loop in Non-winter conditions:

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/nordmarka-oslo-very-pic-heavy-yarrrrr.74512/

Reactions: bopdude

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I assume you are familiar with snow shoeing or x-country skiing?

If not you still have time to learn! There should still be snow on the ground in March, but large parts could have melted away, specially in clearings.
You never know these days.

Drinking water in the lakes there. Plenty of cabins. The area is very popular with the Oslo crowd. a friend of mine goes there almost every weekend. It is not a true wilderness, lots of well marked tracks and trails. If you plan to snow shoe, please do not walk on the ski tracks.

Nov 7, 2018
Lewes
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I assume you are familiar with snow shoeing or x-country skiing?
We are not experienced in either but plan to learn as we go. I have read snowshoes are easier, is this correct? If we snowshoe you can be sure we will be courteous and not destroy the snow for skiers!

Are there Gapahuk shelters we can use? If so where would I find a map of those available in Nordmarka? We are keen to have an open fire but I know there are restrictions on this during the time we plan to visit. Can we have a fire during March at a Gapahuk?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Well, I am good on crosscountry skiing, not so good on snow shoes.
Skiing is much more complex, but you move forward more effortlessly and infinitly faster.
The difficulties as a beginner ( assuming you have the correct skis) is to put correct wax, keeping the balance ( specially with a backpack) and get the rhytm.
Snow shoeing is far more laborious. balance issues with a back pack.

I never used snow shoes as I love skiing and know about the difficulties, and have had a severely damaged knee since my early 20's which I must not overload. If you choose snow shoes, get poles too, will help you with the balance

My recommendation would be skis. Traditional width, with a traditional boot 'lock' ( do not know the correct English word) where you can use your preferred boots and that can be easily removed.
Also, you can use the skis in your shelter construction!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Snowshoe designs used to be made for different uses and different body weights.
If there's any chance, rent before you buy.
When I worked, I used Sherpa with ice claws underneath. Almost too wide = made my crotch ache.
But they don't skid on a slope and of course, climb well with the claws. Sort of "bear-paw" design shape.
For travelling, I have traditional trail-breakers. Less than 12" wide and 60" long with pointed tips and long tails.
They were always my favorites.

I'll say go with the skiis and poles. Make certain that you take an emergency spare ski tip.

Nov 7, 2018
Lewes
Thanks for the advice on skis vs snowshoes very informative! We have several novices in the group so we would need to pick a ski route which reflects this i suppose. Our aim is to spend a couple of nights camping in the snow, if anyone has any advice on route planning i would love to hear it. Thanks.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I checked out the last few years weather ( temperatures) for March. It can be a few minus, or a few plus.
I suspect you might discover that a lot of the snow has melted, and there are bare patches. If there are and with only a thin layer of snow left otherwise, it is very, very difficult to ski.
Also it makes for soggy ground.

My suggestion would be to go in January or February, or go further north or to the west into the mountainous part, if you want to experience snow in March.

Nov 7, 2018
Lewes
Hi Janne, thanks for the update. I appreciate what you're saying re snow, and i am loathe to contradict a local, however I emailed DNT Oslo about this trip and they said the Nordmarka would have so much snow as to make hiking impossible in March. I hope they are right as we are unable to travel earlier in the year i'm afraid. If we were to go further North or West, would you be able to suggest an area that might suit our purposes? I really appreciate your help!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
They are correct, the area SHOULD have snow. But it is not 100%.
I fly over that area several times a year ( as a passenger), in March and in summer autumn, and X-mas time, and usually there is not terribly much snow on the ground in March.

That is not so bad, just inconvenient, but the wetness is something I personally hate.

Another forumer is going to Geilo soon with his family for some skiing
. You can take a train from Oslo to Geilo. First train from Gardemoen to Oslo central station, then the train towards Bergen. Geilo will have lots of snow.

I am technically not a 'local' in Norway, I am Swedish, but I go there a lot ( to the Arctic),and I am also a resident of Norway. Soon get my citizenship if my lawyer gets his finger out.......

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Hi Janne, thanks for the update. I appreciate what you're saying re snow, and i am loathe to contradict a local, however I emailed DNT Oslo about this trip and they said the Nordmarka would have so much snow as to make hiking impossible in March. I hope they are right as we are unable to travel earlier in the year i'm afraid. If we were to go further North or West, would you be able to suggest an area that might suit our purposes? I really appreciate your help!

Page 2 of this thread:

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/i...e-making-of-this-thread-very-pic.89108/page-2

Last week of March 2012. Snow mainly gone but still -10c and below.

Reactions: Janne

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I can't give any help with the Norway bit (I've not visited that part of Norway) but I will make a cautionary comment about the skiing - Make sure everyone in your group is fit! Despite what Janne says, and I know he has far greater experience and knowledge on this subject than me, I found langlaufen/skiing knackering the first trip/use of the year when I was not fully fit (I should point out that I no longer do any). You can get a good easy rhythm going on the flat (still tiring) and they're great on gentle down-slopes, can get a bit scary for the inexperienced on steeper slopes and are absolutely knackering on any kind of accent.

I know, I was just never good enough at it :) - too late now :(

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Never to late....

I learned to ski and skate around the age of 5 so those memories are shrouded in the mists of the past......

Yes, it is difficult ( specially with a backpack) but snow is soft if you fall.. Do not expect to be able any speed, just be happy to 'walk' for the first day or two. Like everything else, it is a skill that takes lots of practice. It requires a good coordination between the leg and arm movements, adopted to the terrain.
I would not worry, you will not compete and we all in Scandihooliganland have fallen lots and lots of times.

Most people fall going downhill because they stand up, flail their arms trying to keep the balance. The trick is to go down into the position downhill skiers use. Arms close to the body, poles pointing back.
If you fall now, it is closer to the snow, and you do not risk breaking your shoulder.

I do not know where you will get the skis though. Rent?

Wherever you decide to go, and when, matters not, you will have lots of fun!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The best fun I had in snow was a massive snowmobile. Carries all the gear and you can get up into the mountains in a couple of hours. Can be tricky untill you get the knack. Make sure there are others with you tho. It's not much fun being pinned down under it after a spill in 4 foot of snow. (Missed a corner properly ). You do need someone or two to lift it off you! All said and done I'd do it again.

Reactions: Broch

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Those got restricted/banned in Sweden ( except on designated trails and pro use) some years ago I believe.

Snow scooters are fun. A big sport in northern Sweden. Racing, tricks, stuff like that.

There are techniques how to get out of a such situation, when the machine overturns. Involves a lot of digging and packing snow.
Always carry a shovel, small leak proof fuel container. Never 'sit on' the scooter, but always have a leg under your bum. So you can throw yourself off quickly.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Low altitude and level snow experience would serve well for many years.
Only then should you try any sort of a climb.
Inexperience in the snow-pack will kill you.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Those got restricted/banned in Sweden ( except on designated trails and pro use) some years ago I believe.

Snow scooters are fun. A big sport in northern Sweden. Racing, tricks, stuff like that.

There are techniques how to get out of a such situation, when the machine overturns. Involves a lot of digging and packing snow.
Always carry a shovel, small leak proof fuel container. Never 'sit on' the scooter, but always have a leg under your bum. So you can throw yourself off quickly.
Yes we were on designated trails. Everyone else had the scooters but as experienced motorcyclist the guys gave me the monster. Wish I'd known about the foot underneath thing tho. Will store that knowledge for next time.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
They should have told you, you can easily get killed if one rolls on top of you.

We were taught to place our strongest leg under the bum, and then of you are losing the machine to push away. even if you are travelling at high speed it is better to roll off than be rolled on.

I had two snow scooter teams under me and had to be able to use one. But in those days they 'only' had about 90 BHP, maybe around 100 after the boys tuned them. Today?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE