Wiggy's Ultima Thule

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Wondering on opinions of the Ultima Thule from Wiggys? Heard good things in the past, but I'd like to know if any opinions have changed after repeated use? Specifically, I'd like to know how people feel about the fact it has no neck baffle?

Cheers,
Matt

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Simply an awesome bag. It's my arctic security blanket. Never missed the neck baffle in mine and I've taken it well below -30c on the ground and in the hammock, once slept for 15 hours straight at well under -30c. There's 5-6 inches of loft on the top half.

The insulation continues to allow moisture out at low temps in extended use. The quick release zip is the best invention ever for middle of the night pee trips. It is a huge bag though, needs consideration for packing. Also very difficult to wash. The long staple monofilament insulation offers good insulation when compressed too and it provides a good bit of additional back warmth in the hammock.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Brilliant bag - I got the boat-foot version. Never had any problem with not having a neck baffle. Not light, but then again some of the lighter bags I've had didn't keep me as warm as they said they would!

Wiggy has made a lot of enemies in the US outdoor forums because of his outspoken defence of his gear. And from my dealings with him buying some stuff, he can be very ... abrupt! BUT

He is the only sleeping bag or clothing manufacturer to guarantee his products for life against loss of loft or failure. (and honours that guarantee regardless of age of the product)
He claims his bags can be stored- for years if necessary - fully compressed in their compression sacs without damaging the loft.
He is the only manufacturer of synthetic - or down - bags to recommend frequent washing of his gear, even in home washing machines. (And one thing I've learnt over the decades is that sleeping bags become less efficient the more they are used, primarily due to the dirt and sweat and body oils flattening the loft)

So I'll put up with Wiggy's ego and occasional rants because his gear works.

Now I know that lots of BCUK members have favourite manufacturers and get very proprietorial over them. But the simple task I put to you for those who press their praises for Marmot, Snugpak, Ajunkilak, North Face,Kifaru etc etc - is to ask them to match Wiggy's lifetime guarantee on loft and construction (or even washing frequency). And they won't. That should tell you something:)

Oh, and a youtube video I came across https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD3wA5Wrcmc

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive ordered the big version recently, in [hopeful] anticipation of an arctic trip.

The hunter ultima thule with a hood. I think its about 4kg.

I found Jerry to be polite very speedy and efficent. Answered my emails within seconds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE