Why Prepare?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana Hawkeye

Oct 1, 2008
England
WHY PREPARE?

Categories of a possible Situation X

(Copy and paste the list to a wordprocesser program and then print out)

Tick all the boxes you think may apply to you and to where you live.

NATURAL DISASTERS

 Avalanche
 Coldfront
 Drought – Water rationing
 Earthquake – Aftershocks – Tremors
 Flood
 Fire (brushfire)
 Heatwave
 Hurricane – Severe Storm – Typhoon – Tempest
 Landslide – Mudslide
 Meteor Shower
 Snow – Snowstorm – Blizzard – Whiteout
 Tornado
 Tsunami – Tidal Wave – Tidal Bore
 Volcano – Ash Cloud – Lava – Pyroclastic Flow

LAW, TERRORISM and WAR

 Biological Warfare/Terrorism
 Chemical Warfare/Terrorism
 Civil Unrest – Mob Rule – Looting
 Crime – Gang War
 Genocide – Ethnic/racial Cleansing
 Global War – Regional War – Civil War
 Martial Law – Curfew
 National Emergency – Civil and Military – Disasters
 Nuclear Warfare – Blast Wave – Fallout – Radiation – Aftermath
 Sabre Rattling – Military Standoff/posturing – Escalation – War
 Terrorism – Assassinations – Bombings – Threats

ECONOMIC & DOMESTIC

 Commodity Shortages – Food, Fuel, Medical Supplies, Water Rationing, etc
 Chemical Spillage
 Fire (domestic)
 Hyper Inflation
 Industrial Action – Strikes – Work to rule
 Interest Rate Rise – Mortgage Shortfall – Negative Equity
 Job Loss – Loss of Income
 Power Shortages – Blackouts, Power Breakage
 Transport Problems – Aircraft, Boats, Rail, Road – Bad weather, strikes, accidents
 Vehicle Breakdown

HEALTH RELATED

 Birth (non-hospital)
 Disease
 Health Conditions – CHD – COPD – Diabetes – Dialysis
 Heart Attack – CPR
 Medical Incapacity
 Pandemic – Plague – Virus
 Trauma – Severe Wounds – Fractures

Look at the list above and think back over the past 10 to 20 years to see if some of these events have happened to YOU or in the area where YOU live.

It makes you think, doesn’t it?

Dana Hawkeye

Oct 1, 2008
England
The reason that I have posted the above 'Listing' is that it seems to me that some people have forgotten or are even trying to ignore 'why we do what we do'.

For some, Bushcraft maybe a 'hobby', for others its a means to an end and to others its a way of life. Please do not condem or knock people because of the reasons why they are doing what they are doing if it doesnt conform to your way of thinking.

I would like all to have a look at the listings (copy and paste list) and tick which ones that have happened in whatever part of the world that they live-in and to think realistically if these things could happen again - You may be surprised at your answers.

regards
Dana

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Look at the list above and think back over the past 10 to 20 years to see if some of these events have happened to YOU or in the area where YOU live.

It makes you think, doesn’t it?
None, It makes me think that this and threads like it are not at all relevant to BCUK

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Yeah but you see they left out zombies!!!!!!I so it is not like they are keeping it real.

Genocide – Ethnic/racial Cleansing
 Martial Law – Curfew

Happens all the time in Somerset
:lmao:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Dana, there is already a thread going on being prepared, do we need another, this is not a survivalist site. I'm a member of several survival forums and tend to discuss this topic on those forums; BCUK is not the appropriate forum IMHO

The vast majority of members here are just into a gentle way of camping and enjoying the outdoors, not TEOTWAWKI

ganstey

Settler
The only one of those I can think of that's happened to me in the last 10 years that's caused even the slightest inconvenience, and would be helped by a bushcraft knowledge, was a power cut for about an hour a year or so back. I put a pan on the (gas) hob, made a brew, sat and read a book, and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

The above list seems to be aimed at those of a 'survivalist' leaning, whereas as I'm into bushcraft, which I define as 'living comfortably without modern conveniences'.

G

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Genocide – Ethnic/racial Cleansing
 Martial Law – Curfew

Happens all the time in Somerset
:lmao:

We had a tsunami hit stoke on trent the other week. It distroyed the beach complety, it is going to pay havoc with tourism.

My nieghbour are zombies, but i am prepared to hit them on the head with spade if they get too smelly.

Dana Hawkeye

Oct 1, 2008
England
Dana, there is already a thread going on being prepared, do we need another, this is not a survivalist site. I'm a member of several survival forums and tend to discuss this topic on those forums; BCUK is not the appropriate forum IMHO/QUOTE]

Hmm, If that is the way you all feel then it seems to me that Bushcraft and Survival have gone their separate ways, or that you you have all gone the way of the Ostrich and stuck your head in the sand.

I am sorry I have wasted your precious 'spoon whittleing' time. I shall not bother again.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
personally I see survival as the art of staying alive until you are rescued, Bushcraft is the art of not needing to be rescued.

I'm not sure this is the forum you're looking for with this line of questioning.
We tend not to focus on that sort of thing.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
None, It makes me think that this and threads like it are not at all relevant to BCUK

SInce when are you the one to decide whats relevant or not on BCuK, i thought that job belonged to the moderating team,and there are two on line at present,and if it was out of place it would have been locked immediately,perhaps a little ottp i agree,but can we have Tony and the moderating team run the forum please.:rolleyes:

Bernie

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
SInce when are you the one to decide whats relevant or not on BCuK, i thought that job belonged to the moderating team,and there are two on line at present,and if it was out of place it would have been locked immediately,perhaps a little ottp i agree,but can we have Tony and the moderating team run the forum please.:rolleyes:

Bernie
since when has it been that only I can not express my opinion. :rolleyes:

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
The relevance of Dana's post is surely in the mind of the reader and should some one wish to discuss the subject matter then that's fine. If on the other hand someone doesn't like the content then don't respond with negativity, simply move on to the next thread that does interest you, it doesn't help all it does is wind people up.

I do find the concept of teotwawki a little bit narrow if anything as I believe it would be almost impossible to predict the circumstance which may trigger our need to use our skills and survive.

Andy

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
I think that by taking my pack into the woods with me i am going *prepared*. It has the things i need for bushcraft as well as the things i'd need to survive, if called for.
The survival mentality can be as big or small as you want to make it.

Andy >>>>>-----------------------------<>

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
The relevance of Dana's post is surely in the mind of the reader and should some one wish to discuss the subject matter then that's fine. If on the other hand someone doesn't like the content then don't respond with negativity, simply move on to the next thread that does interest you, it doesn't help all it does is wind people up.

I do find the concept of teotwawki a little bit narrow if anything as I believe it would be almost impossible to predict the circumstance which may trigger our need to use our skills and survive.

Andy

I totally agree Andy if the post is not your cup of tea,read the next one.:)
Or as other members have a bit of light hearted banter about it.
Bernie

Dana Hawkeye

Oct 1, 2008
England
I do not think the Listing that I have posted is OTT in general - I agree that some of the scenarios maybe a bit much, but what is a listing if it doesnt cover ALL possible scenarios.

I would wager that most people on this forum could tick a few boxes - I know I could easily and that is without going to the extreme scenarios.

People have very bad memories, but I still remember the 'bad old days' of the 1970's with its 3 day week, bread shortages, transport strikes, power cuts, etc - the 1980's with negative equity and high interest rates. Who could forget the 'The Great Storm', the numerous floodings and snowstorms that the UK has had in recent memory.

As someone has politely pointed out, if you find this type of thing 'distasteful', then move on to another thread. I do not make sarcastic/negative comments about people who want to sit in the woods making spoons or cordage or nettle soup. If that is your 'bag', who am I to argue with you or make snide remarks to.

As has been said many times before - Bushcraft and Survival go hand in hand .... whether you like it or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE