Why I find a hatchet worth the weight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day everyone.

Right from the word go, let me emphasise that this post is not intended to convince people that one tool is better than another for Bushcraft.

At the end of the day, IMO what does matter is that the individual is able to make productive use of the tools that they have selected. We all have different preferences and live in different locations with different requirements, so it is only natural that the tools we select should reflect this difference :beerchug:

No, this thread is an attempt by myself to share with you why I choose to carry a hatchet when out & about in the Aussie bush.

When I say hatchet, I'm talking a small hatchet. To be specific a GB Mini.

Personally I find the GB mini to be very versatile, and it's this versatility that earns it a place in my gear.

The squared poll works as a functional hammer for tent pegs (with the snakes & spiders we have, I prefer a tent to a tarp for sleeping :) )

Hammeringinthetentpegs.jpg

Considering the self prunning nature of our Eucalypts, there is an abundance of seasoned hardwood deadfall in our less frequented areas. Therefore I really don't have a need to fell a tree for firewood and the limited chopping power of the GB mini is a non issue for me.

Drysclerophyllforest.jpg

If I feel the need to break up timber for the fire, I'll either use a forked tree...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQEgOwpDXhI

....or if its kindling I want, I'll simply prop one end up on a log & stomp on it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=928mnpV5M6E

That's not to say that the GB Mini isn't up to preparing kindling because it is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn-cyXPAjzg

What I like about a small hatchet is that I find it to be a very usefull tool for stripping bark from downed limbs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRe0kz3OIz8

...and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CCS3tueE5w

...to be able to construct windbreaks at the end of a fly for shelter from a change in wind direction.

Barkwindbreak1.jpg

I also find it be be very handy for carving tools for the camp kitchen, including a "egg scraper / stirrer"...

Eggscraper1.jpg

That comes in handy for nettle & garlic stir fry...

Nettlestirfry1.jpg

& dried salami & capsicum filling for tortilla bread pocket pizzas.

Dinner1.jpg

...and carving a combination chopping board / coolamon (i.e. a shallow dish)

Choppingboardside.jpg

Dishside.jpg

as seen in the videos ..

Part 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w5N2kQOB8o

Part 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr9zuoRCK0s

and Part 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5arG-3KvQWs

I guess you can tell I'm a fan of small hatchets for bushcraft :)

Kind regards
Mick

Last edited:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Completely agreed, I always take mine. Only thing I'd add is I upgrade my FAK to include a trauma dressing and a couple of large dressings - there's so much more potential to make a mess of yourself with a hatchet :)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
great post:) they do come in very handy. wish i had mine the other day when splitting some larch to fit in a honeystove, sometimes a knife and a batton just isn't up to it:eek:

wish we had eucalypts over here, top notch firewood and the leaves make a lovely tea:) one of out customers thought we where nutters after useing some leaves from a eucy we just pruned :D lol

pete

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've been tempted by the mini axe many times. I have the SFA and wildlife hatchett, but why oh why is the mini so much more expensive.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Theres plenty of good mini axes around - both cheaper and needing a little work (Wetterlings) or better & prettier (Lee Reeves) or nice and you know the smith (Cegga). Nothing wrong with the Gransfors at all - but there are plenty of options out there

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Jonathan

I've been tempted by the mini axe many times. I have the SFA and wildlife hatchett, but why oh why is the mini so much more expensive.
IIRC, because GB applies stringent quality control to the finished product, there are a number of finished mini's that don't pass. These rejected pieces add to the production costs.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Lennart Pettersen (LP) is now the only GB smith that is making them.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Mick

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
I'm looking out for a small axe / hatchet. Anyone here have any views about the Gerber Pack Axe?

I quite like the traditional style of the GB mind, it's nice. The Gerber looks like a space age 'off the production line' bit of kit.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I have the small Gerber axe. It has went through about two or three name changes, when I got mine, a Christmas present from my wife, it was called a SMAX, which was a dumb name, but it is actually a very nice little axe.

It came out of the box, unbelievably sharp. I would say it was very close to shaving the hair off of my arm. It holds an edge quite well. Mine came with a ballistic nylon belt case that the hatchet drops into from above and a velcro flap closes over it and holds it very secure.

No, it is not as "elegant" as a GB in a hand made leather holder. Have never been able to compare the two side by side. Yes it works very well. The only thing I can say negative about it, is the handle is some type of "space-age" plastic, and although extremely strong, is also extremely SLICK. I literally "threw" mine out of my hand twice before I decided I had to do something before I brained someone with it. I just wrapped the handle with a nylon cord that was of the same type that builders use for plumb bobs. This gave me plenty of grip and it no longer flies out of my hand. I keep it and a kukri in my truck and I generally will chose it over the kukri if i'm cutting down saplings or splitting wood.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Great post! All you need to use the GB mini effectively is a little patience. :) I think Horace Kephart would have enjoyed your videos. :)

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
I have the small Gerber axe. It has went through about two or three name changes, when I got mine, a Christmas present from my wife, it was called a SMAX, which was a dumb name, but it is actually a very nice little axe.

It came out of the box, unbelievably sharp. I would say it was very close to shaving the hair off of my arm. It holds an edge quite well. Mine came with a ballistic nylon belt case that the hatchet drops into from above and a velcro flap closes over it and holds it very secure.

No, it is not as "elegant" as a GB in a hand made leather holder. Have never been able to compare the two side by side. Yes it works very well. The only thing I can say negative about it, is the handle is some type of "space-age" plastic, and although extremely strong, is also extremely SLICK. I literally "threw" mine out of my hand twice before I decided I had to do something before I brained someone with it. I just wrapped the handle with a nylon cord that was of the same type that builders use for plumb bobs. This gave me plenty of grip and it no longer flies out of my hand. I keep it and a kukri in my truck and I generally will chose it over the kukri if i'm cutting down saplings or splitting wood.

Nice one Chinkapin, sounds a bit dodgy it flying out ya hand. Wrapping with cord sounds like a good plan.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset

I have had the Gerber axe for about 12 years great little axe takes and holds a edge, light weight and has never let me down. It looks cheap but its very strong. Just try to find the one with the nylon sheath and not the plastic one.

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
Glad the GB worked for you; I tried one and just didn't get anywhere with it. I've gone to a big knife, and if that doesn't do it then a full sized axe. Nice write up, though, thanks!

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I'm not going to get a mini as I have the GB hatchet and SFA.

I love taking my hatchet out with me though. Light and powerful. It also packs into a backpack and you can forget about it.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I realy must get hold of a GB mini - wish BB was back up I was in the middle of trade negotiations :(

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I don't mind to much this weekend as I'm going to post a couple of photos of my first knife sheath, but ment I could get the blade to the edge I will be keeping it at as. In other other words about an hour on the stones and a good stropping.

Back to the mini for me I think I'm just find it too small. As I stated above the hatchet is a cracking bit of kit and would do more if it was needed to. I use mine for carving too.

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Great thread - really love the pic-link-text combination - well done mate!
I love my hatchet too (I prefer the next size from GB which I own) but dont need it so much in my environment (Austria). I always carry a variation of tools with me (folding saw, hatchet, main user knife and a small knife or multitool). with this combination I am able to do everything I need in the woods. But the hatchet is a very handy tool at all, for carving purposes to splitting something and its always better to have the right tool for the right job - as improvising with some other because thats why the tools are made for the specific job ;)

cheers
Mike

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
I always take a Bushcraft knife (of one description or another) a Laplander Saw and a Wildlife Hatchet with me... I find this 3 Combination, allows me to do many jobs where as with only one, I know I would struggle. I’m not saying I use all three every time I go out, but if I see a job that needs doing, I know I have the tools for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE