Why do so many people use a Tarp/Hammock setup instead of a normal Tent/Sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 13, 2010
London
I'm new to the whole bushcraft thing and all I seem to hear about are tarps and hammocks and not very much on tents..

Why do so many people perfer hammocks?

Is it purely to do with the whole 'not sleeping on the floor' thing? If so it doesn't bother me, I've spent a few nights on a woodland ground next to a fire with nothing more then a top jumper and pair of jeans!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
There are a few reasons Hammock/Tarp combos are popular.

1. You have a more adaptable living space.
2. It's very comfortable,
3. in some woodlands enough flat ground to pitch a tent is hard to come by,
4. you are more aware of your surroundings (I've watched otters playing while lying in my hammock)
5. it's lighter.
6. if the weather is bad/ground is wet, you don't create a quagmire at the entry point.
7. as you say, you're off the ground (handy when it's waterlogged).

How's that for going on with?
:D

Jul 13, 2010
London
There are a few reasons Hammock/Tarp combos are popular.

1. You have a more adaptable living space.
2. It's very comfortable,
3. in some woodlands enough flat ground to pitch a tent is hard to come by,
4. you are more aware of your surroundings (I've watched otters playing while lying in my hammock)
5. it's lighter.
6. if the weather is bad/ground is wet, you don't create a quagmire at the entry point.
7. as you say, you're off the ground (handy when it's waterlogged).

How's that for going on with?
:D

Fair enough. I couldn't really see myself wild camping in my local council forest with a tarp and hammock. I'd probably get robbed during the night by a mob of teenagers. They aren't the stealthiest set up.

Jul 13, 2010
London
I might have to invest in a tarp then. What size would you recommend for the average tarp use if that's possible to say?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm not sure I agree with the fact about them being lighter but everything else Graham mentions is spot on. I think by the time you've factored in the whole hammock and tarp setup is doesn't always come out any lighter, especially in winter. I suppose it depends on how far you take it, for me hammocking is a hobby as well as bushcraft, that leads me to constantly trying out new gear and messing about with different setups. A winter setup for me is a full length down underblanket, a winter down sleeping bag and a good sized tarp to keep the weather off. Once you've added it all up and include the hammock itself there are one or two tents that weigh less.

If I'm honest I'd prefer a hammock anytime, but if I know there might not be trees at some point on my journeys then I'm equally happy in a bivvy or small tent.

Horses for courses I reckon

satosato

Forager
May 29, 2009
London
I have tried tarp and hammock when I was much younger but I am always worried some inquisitive animals decided to have a sniff around lol.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
anyone going to admit the reason is because Ray mears does it?

I have a love/hate relationship with them.
there are some serious fundamental problems with hammocks:
1. hammocks were originally designed for tropical use so insulation was never in the design.
2. there's the getting into it: do you get in the sleeping bag before or after you get in the hammock?
3. there aren't many camp sites where you can hang a hammock.
4. Insulation generally works better on the outside of a hammock (otherwise you crush it).
5. (unless you have some cunning climbing gear) you need 2 trees!
6. if you don't have 2 trees you're buggered for a good nights sleep.

......you'll find me praising hammocks on other areas on this forum...as I said it's love hate relationship

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE