Which watch ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave_the_Pilgrim

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Hi,
I suppose that time should have no importance in the wilds. However, sometimes it needs to in order to make RV's with friends and to make sure you get home before 'er indoors' gets a hissy fit about how long you like to spend outside without her.

I'd be interested to hear which watch you use and why. Are watches like knives . With knives everyone has an opinion but views are polarised between cheap, basic, effective and no great loss if you do lose it or go for expensive and all singing and all dancing. Are watches the same ??

I use a CWC divers watch myself.
cwcdiverswatch01.jpg

Dave

Dave_the_Pilgrim

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
I've had my Rolex GMT I since my 18th birthday back in 1981. It cost £350 back then !

Rolex01.jpg

I switch between the NATO strap and a Submariner bracelet. It has been my daily wearer apart from when climbing. I also have my old issued G10 but my son 'borrowed' that.

I do a lot of kayaking in Klepper 1 and 2 seaters and decided that losing my Rolex wasn't worth the risk anymore as whilst it is insured, it's sentimental value is priceless. I recently bought the CWC to use for paddling and activities where losing a watch where it would be unrecoverable.

C'mon guys, photos would be nice ! Save me trawling the internet looking to see what they look like ;-)

Dave

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I generally wear a G-Shock GW-M5600 for day-to-day stuff as I like its atomic accuracy and useful functions (I use the countdown timer to brew my tea just right :) ).

For "best" I have a lovely full sized, black faced, Seamaster 225450 Auto that my Mrs bought for me.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
i got a casio waveceptor for £28 or so a few weeks ago (based on recommendations from this forum actually) - really good watch, nice and big numbers, very tough to break, and is just what i was looking for. Was a bit of a steal, got it half price.

Dave_the_Pilgrim

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
ive had my eye on the seiko military pilot watch SNX427K2 for awhile now, but dont really have any reason to buy it.

Don't do it !!! They look great but are as waterproof as a teabag. I've had 2 issue ones and they are o.k. for a quick shower but any immersion and they let water in. And NEVER use the buttons when near ANY kind of water or water vapour.

Remember, they were made for pilots and when a pilot gets wet it means that he has things other than how waterproof his watch is to worry about LOL.

I would recommend the divers or SBS watches if you like CWC. They were made for dunking. I opted for the battery version as I like to wear my Rolex a lot still and can't be bothered with a watch that would need to be re-set every time I put it on anew. Also, the auto versions are very thick watches and stick out from your wrist a lot further than the quartz ones.

My two pen'i worth,
Dave

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Hi,
I suppose that time should have no importance in the wilds. However, sometimes it needs to in order to make RV's with friends and to make sure you get home before 'er indoors' gets a hissy fit about how long you like to spend outside without her.

I'd be interested to hear which watch you use and why. Are watches like knives . With knives everyone has an opinion but views are polarised between cheap, basic, effective and no great loss if you do lose it or go for expensive and all singing and all dancing. Are watches the same ??

I use a CWC divers watch myself.

Dave

You haven't been around here long. Any thread about watches will inevitably have people recommending timepieces that cost more than my car for going out into the woods and scree scrambling to something that cost less than a tenner in Argos and everything else in between. Oh and there'll be a few who don't want that damnable jewellery reminding them of the time while they are out enjoying themselves in the wilderness.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I use a digital watch thing that clips to my belt loop like a karibeaner (or however you spell that...). It has a little flashlight on the end that's actually pretty good, at least for finding something in a dark room. I don't think I'll keep it for too long though because if I went into the woods, I'd like to have a proper watch that I can maybe make a compass out of (however incorrect it may be).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE