Which Rucksack For DofE?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

twyforge

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2013
Winchester
Hi all,

I am planning for my DofE Bronze Practice Expedition and I was wondering if anyone would be able to suggest a good rucksack that I would be able to use for my DofE expeditions? As a good rucksack is quite a considerable investment, I would also like to have the ability to use it for my Silver Expeditions and also potentially Gold. It would be preferable if it was available at Cotswold Outdoor as there is a discount for DofE participants there, and it would also need to be in the sub £80 bracket as that's all I have saved up. I have been looking at the Vango Contour 60 + 10, and was wondering is that the kind of capacity necessary for DofE expeditions? Also, would my height have to come into consideration? It seems obvious to me that there would have to be some allowance there, so if it is a factor I am 5' 7". Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Thomas.

sandbag47

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I have just ordered 3 rucksacks from blacks, for my daughter to look at. Mainly because they have 15% off today. So she can keep the one she likes and take the others back. But I do like the look of the vango sherpa 65lt.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I would keep it as small as possible as when I did a DoE exped. one was expected to carry it, they wouldn't let me use a sherpa despite having one in my huge rucksac.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
have a look at the lowe alpine sting (dutch army 55ltr. £40 from endicotts or ebay) add a couple of cheap PLCE side pouchs and it should certainly do you for a DOE trip...the back is adjustable on these too

also while your here mate the "7 days food in a plce pouch" thread might be worth a look

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I'd take a look at something by Lowe Alpine, they have a very comfy and adjustable back system. The Kibo would be very suitable for your DofE trips all the way up to gold. Linky

Many outdoors places will give a DofE discount, or at least it that was the case when I was doing mine.

twyforge

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2013
Winchester
sandbag47 is there a code for that?

sunndog I did see that, great video

bushwacker bob point taken :)

copper_head I think Blacks do 10% and cotswold outdoor does 15% with the DofE reward card

thanks all

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I have just ordered 3 rucksacks from blacks, for my daughter to look at. Mainly because they have 15% off today. So she can keep the one she likes and take the others back. But I do like the look of the vango sherpa 65lt.

I was maybe just unlucky, but my first rucksack was a Vango sherpa, and the stitching was starting to fall to bits after only a couple of overnighters.

Was good enough other than that, but i replaced it anyway as i feared one of the shoulder straps would go when i was out somewhere.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Don't be afraid to go in and try the rucksacks.
Personally I have always had Berghaus for my big pack, but I do like my Lowe Alpine at 50l for expeds.
Bear in mind that you will be part of a team and that group kit will get shared amongst you.
The DofE website makes recommendation and GoOutdoors identifies everything. You can always shop around and use their price promise to get it cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twyforge

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2013
Winchester
So if I was to go for the Lowe Alpine Kibo at GOOutdoors I'd be able to get it for £71.50? As this is the price quoted by copper_head's link with a 10% discount?

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I've got a Highlander Forces 88l in as new condition up for sale in the classifieds for £50, local to you too. Welcome to drop in and check it out, no obligation.

If you don't need the full capacity you can just tighten it down, but you'll have it if you need it. Adjustable back system too.

I'm around next week so just pm if you want to drop by, kettles always on :)

Cheers, Paul

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Like boots a good rucksack has to fit properly.

Certainly in my local Cotswold they have weight bags which they will put in the ruck so you have a better idea of what it's like with weight in on your back. You HAVE to try it on before you buy it. It's something that will be attached to you for potentially long journeys so you don't want it to nip your neck or give you backache.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Agree completely with ArkAngel - the most important things are that it's big enough (but not TOO big) for what you need and it fits you comfortably. If you want to keep it for your Gold expeds, allow for the extra kit you will need for more days out (i.e. more food, a bit more clothing). It would be nice if it was light, too! For the same reasons, it may be worth paying a bit more for a quality item that will last you. My advice - go to Cotswolds and spend a bit of time trying on different rucks with weight in them. Then, before buying, have a look on ebay for the one you like - lots of rucks only get one or two outings and you may get a bargain.

Good luck!

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Code is SUMMER15
a
And I managed to get more off using my army id as well

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd take a look at something by Lowe Alpine, they have a very comfy and adjustable back system. The Kibo would be very suitable for your DofE trips all the way up to gold. Linky

Many outdoors places will give a DofE discount, or at least it that was the case when I was doing mine.

Plus one to this advice; two of my nephews have used this pack for DoE, and both give it glowing reports saying it performs very well in all respects. One of them is 5'7" and the other 5'10", and they have both continued to use the pack after DoE, despite the fact that they're in a position to buy again. I've never had a Lowe Alpine pack that hasn't been all it should, and for that price and no postage, that's what I'd be buying :)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
So if I was to go for the Lowe Alpine Kibo at GOOutdoors I'd be able to get it for £71.50? As this is the price quoted by copper_head's link with a 10% discount?

Yeah they should honour their price guarantee, providing you have a GO discount card. That said I've not done it before a couple of days a go and I'm still waiting to hear back about a jacket I bought from them.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
When are you going to need this pack?

If you have time, it has to be worth doing the rounds of the charity shops. I've picked up some good deals on packs in places like Oxfam and the Lighthouse. You could still have more than sixty-five quid to spend if you paid what I paid for a Karrimor Panther 65 a couple of years ago.

twyforge

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2013
Winchester
Yeah they should honour their price guarantee, providing you have a GO discount card. That said I've not done it before a couple of days a go and I'm still waiting to hear back about a jacket I bought from them.

Do you think they'd do it at the till if you showed them the website?

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
It says on the website you can... Not tried myself I emailed customer services as I'd already bought the jacket.

twyforge

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2013
Winchester
Apparently not as the website with the cheap kibos has no stock, and it is a very clear condition of the GOOutdoors price promise. Darn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE