which ruck to get?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

whipcracker

Mar 19, 2014
Cache Valley, UT
I am in a conundrum...
I am torn between a Norwegian army ruck "Ludwig" (I currently have one and use an Italian bivvy bag for my tarp and sleeping bag but I alweays wish I had one more outside pocket for organization), Swedish LK70 or Savotta saddle sack 339.
Any suggestions/experiences/warnings/calls to repentance?

I do not go far, few days with the scouts and on my own some, but I do live in extreme northern Utah and temps get down to -35F in winter and up to 100F in summer and the mountains are steep. So steep that we have had climbers train here for the Himalayas.

I just thought I would connect to the collective wisdom...

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
I use a size 3 back, berghaus Vulcan. With a cyclops II frame

I have about 6 different ones, in different conditions with different customizations.
If I'm not wearing a ROC or a Vulcan, then I'm not prepared.

My two cents =]

(forgot the mention the Centurio is a quality 30L pack)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I use a size 3 back, berghaus Vulcan. With a cyclops II frame

I have about 6 different ones, in different conditions with different customizations.
If I'm not wearing a ROC or a Vulcan, then I'm not prepared.

My two cents =]

(forgot the mention the Centurio is a quality 30L pack)

Berghaus fan then eh.....my vulcan is my winter pack and I love it, it can handle massive loads
I nearly bought a centrio too, but I thought the non compatibility of the side pockets a bit of a cheap shot

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
Berghaus fan then eh.....my vulcan is my winter pack and I love it, it can handle massive loads
I nearly bought a centrio too, but I thought the non compatibility of the side pockets a bit of a cheap shot

Just switch the zips around on the pack ;)

Endicotts can do it for you

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I've got the Lk70 in canvas and leather. I'm 6'3" tall and pretty broad shouldered and I find it very comfortable, but I never carry it more than few miles and I consider lugging this steel framed beast around good exercise.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District

I thought that too. Have been a berghaus boy for a lot of years and that left a sour taste!

Also interested in the zip reversal cost if you've got it :)

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
What sort of money would they charge for that mate?

Well he modified 2 pouches for me, and put the zips upside down so it fitted the centurio and sent them for about £28 I think. (pouches + modification)

If you sent in your centurio to have the zips swapped, Rough estimate i'd say like £15

If you swap the zips on the centurio then the vulcan side pockets work on it basically. But I opted to get pockets that fit it instead because I'm clever in hindsight ¬¬

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Whipcracker you're gonna get some very good suggestions on here, but most of them will probably be too expensive by the time you get them to Utah. For a good, affordable ruck in the States, you might want to get either an LCP-90 or a Marine ILBE Rucksack. Both are fairly widely available as surplus now.

For the British or European ones, occasionally they do show up on US or Canadian e-bay sites, but not very often.

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
Just gonna throw a spanner in the works and suggests dutch army sting: the best rucksack I have ever used for versatility, expandability, strength, quality and just about any other reason. I simply cannot fault it, the thing is simply MAGNIFICENT!
As you can tell I like it a lot!:lmao:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Just gonna throw a spanner in the works and suggests dutch army sting: the best rucksack I have ever used for versatility, expandability, strength, quality and just about any other reason. I simply cannot fault it, the thing is simply MAGNIFICENT!

Told ya! :p

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I wish I could find one of these here at an affordable price (or better still, the Stingray)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
If you've the cash go Kifaru, recent convert and I struggle to see a reason to use any other.

I struggle to see past Kifaru for tough and heavy stuff. I was stunned at how much wet kit I carried from the day at the beach when we had walked the couple miles up hill to the pub, my wife almost couldn't lift it and the back system on the Express is immense. Got the Late Season 55 litre one too.

rg598

Native
I agree with the above. If you have the money and want to carry such large volumes (70L+), go with Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or Exo packs. They will let you carry large weights much more comfortably than any mil surplus pack. For a bit less money I would go with a Gregory or Osprey pack, or even a second hand Arcteryx Bora. As far as mil surplus available in the US, CFP 90 (and especially knock offs) are still readily available. With a lid pocket and two side pockets they are not too bad. If you want an old school external frame pack, Kelty still makes some decent ones.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Still reminiscing about rocs and crusaders....
In light of the topic; I've no experience with either I'm afraid.
There are quite a few good solid brands out there around the world. Choose according to terrain use, weight and the biggy - budget! Santaman has a good point with mil spec surplus rucks over the pond?

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....As far as mil surplus available in the US, CFP 90 (and especially knock offs) are still readily available. With a lid pocket and two side pockets they are not too bad....

They have three side pockets. Two on one side and one long one on the other side.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE