Which Musical Instrument?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wasn’t sure what forum would be best for this. It could have fit a in Homesteading (recreation around said homestead) or Gear Gadgets & Gizmos. I settled here but Mods please move if you think appropriate.

Now to the meat of the post. At age 62 I’m thinking of taking up a musical instrument. Bear in mind that the last time tried was when I took piano lessons at age 8-9 and I’ve forgotten how to even read music. My interests/tastes are for folk, light rock, country, etc. and purely for enjoyment.

I’m still mainly thinking of stringed instruments but have ruled out piano (though I’d dearly love to play one) for reasons of budget and home space. My daughter still has her sons violin that isn’t being used but I suspect that might be too difficult to learn at my age. (I could also borrow their electric keyboard to practice piano but the sound just isn’t the same) I’ve though about a ukulele for both price and ease of learning and I’ve also been looking at mandolin and the Puerto Rican cuatro. (I would also like to be able to play banjo but I think that might also be over my abilities)

Finally I have also considered a harmonica (though it isn’t a stringed instrument) also for price and ease.

Do any of y’all have any thoughts or suggestions? I won’t be packing it around on the trails; car camping at the roughest.

Last edited:

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Given your taste in music it’s obvious... acoustic guitar. Learn, say four chords, a few strumming patterns and you’re off !
Make sure you go to a good shop and if possible spend a few hundred. It’ll make learning more enjoyable on a decent instrument and even if you don’t take to it, you’ll get a half to two thirds back if selling.
Good luck with it, I’ve never regretted it for one minute :)

Reactions: santaman2000

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've been picking at things for 50+ years. I agree with Mikehill = guitar.
Huge range of music and instruction. I have 36" of music books in my library.

I suggest that you have a guitar-pickin' friend go with you and maybe try a bunch of used instruments.
I bought a steel-string Yamaha that I happen to like the sound of.
I bought a LaPatrie Concert Classical because I have big hands and long fingers so the positions are easy for me.
I pick a Deering Sierra 5-string bluegrass banjo as that is exactly the sound I want to hear.

I've got 10+ year on you, santaman. Here's what I think:
Don't go big on a first guitar. You start to feel much arthritis in your hands and this thing is gonna bite you.
I do a lot of boring scales every day, just to get my hands to move!
I don't mind = something that I always wanted to do, just for myself. I can get lost in it.

Instruments "play in." They need daily exercise. I don't know how that works but I believe it.
Poke around at it. A little music theory, scales and tunes is good for your head on a rainy day.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I like the idea of a ukulele; it kind of feels like a compact guitar :). I also like the idea of trying to make my own (though I've had making my own acoustic guitar on the list for a few years now :().

There's a stall in Shrewsbury market that only sells ukuleles - some of them a beautiful pieces of craftsmanship!

I have just bought myself a penny whistle because I heard Steve playing one at the winter bushmoot - even that is going to take a lot of work :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hammer dulcimer :D

Seriously they come in so many varieties, and they fit right in with your musical preferences.
They pack away neatly into a bag too for carrying.

I admit I'm biased, my Grandpa had one and as a little girl I was entranced listening to it.
This is Dick Glasgow playing

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks everybody. Keep the comments coming. I have to admit acoustic guitar has been on my bucket list for quite a while for the very reasons y’all mentioned. The only major downside (and maybe it really isn’t that major) is that’s what my daughter and Barbara are learning and I thought it might be a boring jam if we all had the same instrument.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hammer dulcimer :D

Seriously they come in so many varieties, and they fit right in with your musical preferences.
They pack away neatly into a bag too for carrying.

I admit I'm biased, my Grandpa had one and as a little girl I was entranced listening to it.
This is Dick Glasgow playing

Beautiful music, and he makes it t look easy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
America has such a range of dulcimers though; I think because it's such a melting pot of European cultures, among others of course; and they're an easily 'accessible' instrument with a lot of teaching available.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
At least 2 big harps have been assembled from kits, here in the village.
40-60 visitors in summer for a major harp colony of all things, as well.

Guitars can and should play many different roles in a group.
Tommy Emmanuel needs no help from anybody.
Red Shea was the accompanist for Gordon Lightfoot, fast, flying fingers.
Of course, Sting isn't too shabby a bass player.

N

Nomad

Guitar is certainly worth considering. It's very versatile. Being polyphonic means you can make a fuller sound on your own, and still play stuff as an accompaniment (or lead melody) with others. It can be used for lots of different styles, and there are several approaches to how it's played (strummed chords, melody lines, finger-picking, etc). It's also very expressive once you get past the beginner stage - it's a very analogue instrument in terms of how you can change the sound subtly just by how you play it.

If buying an acoustic, look for something that's been set up well so that the strings can be fretted without it being too painful. Many acoustics are difficult to play and can put you off playing. Mostly cheap ones, but more expensive instruments can need attention as well. Also, go for something you like the look of - if you like it, you're more likely to want to pick it up and play.

Expect your finger tips to suffer for the first couple of weeks until the callouses build up (the pads on your finger tips thicken up and become leathery, which makes playing less painful). When it gets sore, put the guitar down for the day and let them recover.

A 3-way guitar jam can work - two guitars play accompaniment, and the third plays the melody. Or each can play different parts with a view to creating a harmonised whole. Or one plays rhythm, and the other two take turns about on melody. Lots of ways to approach it.

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
These can be fun.

849b8ef48a4090647a8392f0084c9272.jpg

“In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees”

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE