Which kukri?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
For a while now I have been toying with the idea of getting a larger blade for minimal/summer camps- when I'm trying to get by with as few tools as possible, or when I need little firewood and there is a lot of ground vegetation which needs to be cleared. After looking at various styles I have decided on a kukri-they seem very versatile and just the sort of tool I want, and none of the other styles really "do it for me" quite like the kukri. I am on a budget, and since the postage for a nice kukri from nepal is rather steep, I want as much bang for my buck as possible. I really like the look of this one-not to heavy with a relatively short blade for a kukri, but robust and with a nice sort of classic look to it
http://www.khukuriblades.com/products/details.php?id=313031fc81
What do you think of it? Does anyone happen to own one that they can comment on? Are there better options for a similar price? Thanks

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I pay around £6 or £7 for that one when in Kathmandu, I wouldn't want to pay shipping and import tax on that one.

You'd be better off buying a second-hand British Army jungle knife (any variant), there are loads of them around, one for sale on bcuk right now in fact.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Have a look at https://torablades.com/ , I bought a butchers kukri from them (blimey, 2007!! time flies) and it was excellent quality, you may have to wait a while because much of the site is pre-orders. The kiranti looks very nice for £70.
Otherwise I'd be looking at the Martindale Golok for £20-40, great steel and well worth the work to get a usable edge, I took a chance and put a scandi grind on my dads one last year, the only chips in the blade so far are from hitting nails as he/I was hacking down a shed. If only they could spend a little more time putting them together, I now they were designed for squaddies to use as crowbars/hammers/stakes/nose picks but if you spend a tenner on any chinese knife it'll feel like a higher quality product.
I'd stay away from the really cheap 'mod goloks' that are splattered around the net, poor steel, too small.

Then again, theres the Kershaw camp 10. Mmmm :cool:

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
Was considering tora but as you said all their products seem to be out of stock with no indication as to when they will become available again. I think I will go for the 12" ang khola from HI, but with a villagers finish as I have no need for a mirror finished blade and also to keep the price down. Thanks for the help! Does anyone know how much the above mentioned kukri will cost?

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Gerber do a 12" kukri machete for around £35. The steel is superb but the handles on the gator range aren't for me. Easily rehandled though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE