Which cheap small fixed blade?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

D_Fisher

Feb 19, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi guys,

I'm looking into purchasing a small fixed blade knife to keep handy when I'm out and about.

It'll be used for general duties stuff; prepping tinder, cutting cord, light carving etc..

Don't have a massive budget at all. Was hoping to keep it around the £30 mark and below.

Quite liked the look of the Condor Fidelis Neck Knife but I wondered if you guys could help out and offer a few other suggestions.

Thanks!

Fish

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
All the Hultafors 'budget' fixed blades are excellent value and they've a reasonable length tang if you decide to rehandle one.

The Mora Companion HD
Heinnie link - just noticed they're out of stock here

Or at the same price here...

... is a little more expensive, half as thick at the spine again so very robust and has a higher polished finish which is easier to keep clean and less prone to corrosion. Still well under your budget at £14.95 and if you haven't already got either a Hultafors Craftsman or a Mora of some description they're almost obligatory as a first knife.

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Heinnie have this one in stock

I've both the orange and the high grip black and orange (as well as a Mora HD) and the black and orange is definitely worth the extra couple of quid if you're going to use it a lot. The blades are, as far as I can tell, identical.

I prefer the sheath of the Hultafors to the Mora, it's easier to string as a neck knife with some paracord and have it hang vertically.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Mora all day long with that budget, Mora Robust (3.2mm blade stock)

974.jpg

And one of these great value leather sheaths to put it in, and you've still got a tenner in change :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Lea...425061165&sr=8-1&keywords=mora+leather+sheath

41ToqtZp54L._SX300_.jpg

D_Fisher

Feb 19, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
With the fact that they're all so under budget, I'm actually tempted to get both the Hultafors and the Mora!
The leather sheath does also appeal.
You're spoiling me for choice guys! :eek:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
You're a bad man Silverback... now I've been on an Amazon safari and bought stuff I don't need! :p

Just sharing the love!

There was a guy on BB who posted about the leather Mora sheaths, they are great value, and a carbon Mora with a 3mm thick blade is already a no brainer, combine the 2 and you've got yourself a stunning piece of kit for £20 :)

D_Fisher

Feb 19, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd update you all regarding this topic. Following the help I received on this post I ordered the Hultafors and the Mora from Hennie. The Hultafors came straight away but I already knew the mora wasn't in stock, so would have a bit of a wait. It came in stock and was dispatched yesterday, arrived today (for no extra postage cost even though the two were sent separately!). Great service. I also ordered the leather sheath straight away, in too arrived within days of order.
Really pleased with everything that was suggested. All three are great products and at great prices.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Just a quick question, what's the button bit for on the front of the mora sheath?

Thanks,

Fish

wheelnut

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
UK
if you look at the back of the Mora plastic sheath you'll notice a hole, this is the same on most of the Mora plastic sheaths, it means that you can connect one sheath onto the button of the other sheath, so you effectively have them 'stacked' in one place on your belt, the front one will be slightly lower than the back one and leaves both handles easy to get at.

wheelnut

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
UK
here you go
morakniv-sheath.jpg

you'll also notice that there is a ridge behind the button, this sits into the recess adjacent to the hole and keeps it sitting dead straight, simple but brilliant design from Mora.
Known as the 'Combi Sheath'.

Last edited:

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I was thinking of getting a couple of Moras, one for me and a safety one for the boy. Which blade is best! The Carbon or Stainless steel? Will the stainless one throw a good spark? I also saw a nice Rough Rider drop point hunter For About £12 on Heinie Haynes, which looks lovely. Any advice?

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Stainless will work on a ferro rod, my Leathermans work on them, but will not on a flint/quartz. I have yet to get an ember from a mora carbon blade on a flint and char cloth combo, my re-purposed file steels get one every time, but works on a ferro rod so it depends what you are using it on.

Rob.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Stainless will work on a ferro rod, my Leathermans work on them, but will not on a flint/quartz. I have yet to get an ember from a mora carbon blade on a flint and char cloth combo, my re-purposed file steels get one every time, but works on a ferro rod so it depends what you are using it on.

Rob.

Cheers Rob, I usually use ferro rods, so looks like either blade will work. Happy days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE