When an engineer goes camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Just found this on another bushcraft forum and thought I'd share it with you lot.

It gave me a laugh but actually looks like something I'd like to try out! :D

915b8002269e34c6b3289630ae67eb1e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Shouldn't take too long for the servants to build... you may as well. :p

Minor improvement would be two cross rails... keeps the logs in line and provides a nice base for a grill or to hang a pot from.

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Servants are out of commission with this sudden cold weather, had to keep the fire going don't you know!

Yeah that a good idea, would be a great set up for someone with a permanent private woodland spot.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Would it work though? Ash build up in the middle potentially stops logs rolling into the flames, and if you have to periodically clear the ash out then surely you might as well put another log on the fire, rendering it useless.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now I like that :D

I can see it being a good steady fire at the Moot :)

Nice stable bit in the middle for pots, and places up the lines of logs to perch others, utensils, etc.,

Neat cooking fire, just not much reflective heat for warmth at night.

Thanks for sharing :D

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Would it work though? Ash build up in the middle potentially stops logs rolling into the flames, and if you have to periodically clear the ash out then surely you might as well put another log on the fire, rendering it useless.

I first saw this on facebook last year and I thought as you do. Still and all, it'd be fun to try.

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
If, by 'fun' you mean "A lot of effort to construct something that won't work, even with perfectly even logs, which you probably can't source out in the woods anyway", yes. :)
Even if you fail, learning is always fun ;) I still want to give it a go

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If, by 'fun' you mean "A lot of effort to construct something that won't work, even with perfectly even logs, which you probably can't source out in the woods anyway", yes. :)

LOL. I have access to much different woods. Those logs are no problem to source.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I reckon the weight of those extra logs will keep the logs together and the heat from those that are burning will eventually catch on the next two as the first ones burn down. Wood doesn't leave all that much 'hard' ash anyway if it's burnt thoroughly.
Good way to dry out firewood too. Pine trees and the like are usually straight enough to chainsaw into pieces like those.

The Gap fire or Rakovalkea works fine, though there's an air gap between those faces. This one looks like a 'slow' fire, and being close to the ground like that I'm wondering just how much air blows through :dunno:

I think it'd be fun to at least try it, and the sandy Moot site's an ideal place :D

M

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire

Erm......

[video=youtube;ejfSv3raPDo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejfSv3raPDo[/video]

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Glad to be wrong. :D

So you say, but in that video he starts with 4 logs each side, and when he's down to 3 logs, they're all pretty much on fire, either , from underneat or ontop, maybe a little bit of tinkering is needed

Anothe engineering video

[VIDEO=youtube;MuLhte7_48k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuLhte7_48k&app=desktop[/VIDEO]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE