whats the best way to create this pattern? [wood]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
hw77f02.jpg

above is the grip on my Weihrauch 77 I bough a skinner knife blank of "wanderingblade" and I fancy making a knife to go with my rifle.

I have the beech the same colour / similar pattern but What would be the best way to re create the engraving shown above on my knife handle ? what tool ? a small saw blade ?

k

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'd avoid that if I were you.

If it's proper, deep chequering, that you can actually feel, I think you might find it uncomfortable on a knife handle, as well as difficult to keep clean and hygienic?

That is; if you cut the chequering the same as the rifle stock.

I suppose if all you want is the pattern itself, you could colrose it, then seal it with some sort of laquer?

just my thoughts on it.

cheers

R.B.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi ,
Or get a small needle file (triangle) and break if half way down the blade, this will do the same as the chequering tool.

Topknot

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I agree with RB and would avoid it for a knife too if you left it ridged. You could fill the indentations with superglue and sand smooth thoough so it looked the same but was smooth. Or as RB says colross it on.

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
Ok guys , the engraving on the rifle isnt that deep I thought i'd get away with it on the knife if I watched the hygene side of things .

I'll have another think about it , thanks for the ideas an input as always ! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE