what's does tenderfoot stand for?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 14, 2008
uk
I have just noticed that underneath my name i now have tenderfoot? what does that mean?
I have seen others with Nomad, Native and Forager underneath their names.

what do they all stand for?

or am i just being stupid

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Member = 1 post

a Tenderfoot @ 50 posts

a Forager @ 100 posts

a Nomad @ 250 posts

a Settler @ 500 posts

a Native @ 1000 + posts.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Member = 1 post

a Tenderfoot @ 50 posts

a Forager @ 100 posts

a Nomad @ 250 posts

a Settler @ 500 posts

a Native @ 1000 + posts.

So an experienced bushcrafter who has walked across Africa or survived a plane crash in the Andes and got back to civilisation on foot, but hasn't been to this particular internet forum before is a Tenderfoot, and an armchair survival expert who sits in front of the TV with a laptop, never walked farther than the local pub, and writes loads of misleading, inaccurate rubbish could be a Native.

Ian

[puts down laptop, picks up jacket, heads for The Royal Oak ... don't think I'm joking :) ]

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
So an experienced bushcrafter who has walked across Africa or survived a plane crash in the Andes and got back to civilisation on foot, but hasn't been to this particular internet forum before is a Tenderfoot, and an armchair survival expert who sits in front of the TV with a laptop, never walked farther than the local pub, and writes loads of misleading, inaccurate rubbish could be a Native.

Ian

[puts down laptop, picks up jacket, heads for The Royal Oak ... don't think I'm joking :) ]

Yep,

'Cos they contribute to the forums;)

and if it's rubbish or inaccurate writings they do,then the rest of us educate...simple

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK

Ian

I think you might be taking a small thing a little too seriously Gzornenplat.
It is just a means of accounting for the number of posts made by a member, nothing more, nothing less.
We have many members who don't post much, but leave us all in awe of their abilities. I often consider myself as a tenderfoot when I'm out in the wilds, yet with calm thought and consideration (perhaps some research on here) might see me attempting a new skill or overcoming a particual problem.

Lets just leave things at that, I'd hate to think that we'd have to moderate this informative thread.

Perhaps you could post up a greeting and an introduction in the Introductions And Welcome section.

ATB

Ogri the trog

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Ogri...

If I said something which means that you took me seriously then please accept my apologies. I didn't mean to upset anyone.

Ian

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I was under the impression that the expression 'tenderfoot' came from outdoors men who adopted the moccasins of the native americans as footware. Those new to this would get very tender feet until they had worn them for a while and their feet had toughened up. Hence the name for newbies, greenhorns or whatever other name you might choose for someone new to something.

That said, I've just had a quick google to find a link and the first thing I found suggested the expression came from the gold rush era where people new to wearing cowboy boots suffered from similarly sore feet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE