What would you do ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Are you sitting comfortably ? then I'll begin.......Yesterday evening whilst taking the mutt out for a stroll, I or rather we, came across a most curious object.
The dog, who needs no introduction, approached, rather hesitantly, a small opaque plastic bag lying at the base of a roadside hedge. His demeanor intrigued me as although it is not uncommon for him to have temporary lapses of fortitude when faced with unknown objects, this particular incident lasted longer than usual. I who was standing a good 5 yards away, decided to approach the item in question to see what all the fuss was about.
Well dear readers as I approached the bag I saw that it moved...***! thought I & then barely a few feet away I heard a sort of cry, very feint but a cry none the less. When I found myself immediately above the bag I saw what it contained.
With deft fingers I pierced the tiny bag & liberated it's occupants from a slow & agonising death by suffocation.
What was in the bag I hear you ask...... well, brace yourselves, two very small kittens, a ginger one & a grey tabby.
Some very thoughtful person had enclosed them in a tiny polythene bag, just large enough to contain them, then thrown the object, no doubt from a moving car & thought no more about it.
Now dear readers I am not one that is easily moved by cutiness & I wasn't on this occasion so I decided to leave them where they were & let nature take it's course. There are both foxes & badgers that frequent the area & indeed they were but a foot or so away from a badger run under the aforementioned hedge. I also know that new born mammals should they be deprived of the mothers milk, fall asleep & not wake up...........a pretty pleasant death in my opinion & certainly a better one than the perpetrators of this situation had planned for these two kitties. Failing that, there was hypothermia as back up.

This morning & hence the thread title, I returned to the spot expecting them to have disappeared & be macerating in a predators entrails or still in situ, stiff as boards. Alas, the blighters were still alive, huddled together & squirming.

I had several choices,
Do nothing & despite nature's reluctance to get involved, leave them to their fate.
Take them to a vet to either have them put down or try to save them,
kill them as humaely as I can to put them out of their misery.

I chose the first option as I wasn't convinced they were in fact suffering. The unfair thing is that had they been puppies I would have done everything in my power to save them & then no doubt I would have kept them......:rolleyes:

Anyway would you have done is this situation.?

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sorry... but abandoning them like that is totally out of order. I just can't see how you could be so callous and cruel to them .

I'd have taken them to the vets so they at least have a fighting chance.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I would have taken them straight to a vet.

You confess that had they been puppies you would have done just that.

I have to say that just leaving them was almost as cruel as the original charmers who dumped them.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Karmas gonna bend you over and give you it good time for that fella.

You sided with death over life..... bad things will follow ;)

You've earned it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There's no difference between cats and dogs, what you did is shocking and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Tell me the address and I'll see if they can be rescued somehow

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Sorry... but abandoning them like that is totally out of order. I just can't see how you could be so callous and cruel to them .

I'd have taken them to the vets so they at least have a fighting chance.

+1. Would have taken a few minutes searching the web or yellow pages this morning to find a local cat sanctuary who would have helped em out. I'd have taken them home overnight.

Thought better of you than that

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
If they were wild animals i could go with let nature take its course approach but these were not put in the situation by nature, they were put there by an idiot. You should have saved them mate.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Redeem yourself. Get back down there right now, and take em to the local sanctuary. Stop thinking bout it. Just go get in your f@@@@@@@ car.

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Disgusting.

Only an emotionally void husk could allow this to happen. No matter how much one may dislike grown cats, letting infant ones suffer this horribley is vile and completely preventable. What's equally difficult to understand is your choice to air it to the public..

There's a sulphury hot spot for souls like your pal! ;)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
The fact that you posted this thread makes me think that in the back of your head you had a nagging voice telling you your choice might have been the wrong one. In my eyes that voice is right. Get back there and go for option 2.

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Living as I do in a country where savagery is the order of the day (Ethiopia), I think we should all try to do something that makes the world a little better.

You chose not to.

I agree with all the others, please go back and rescue them.

Alan L.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
What a strange man you are. Hope you are proud of yourself. Somewhat incredulous as to your motive for this post actually.

I do find myself wondering if this is just a deliberate inflammatory wind up?

It isn't as if there was likely to be a deluge of support for the OP:

"Whoah yeah! Let those kitties rot man!"

:confused:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The sad thing is that you are a pet owner yet condone animal cruelty. It is a pity that you cannot be prosecuted for the despicable act you have done.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Interesting responses so far. Try to save them & then what ? ...... I cannot keep them, no one will want to adopt them as there are kittens everywhere & the animal shelters are over flowing with cats & kittens which as are routinely euthanised as there are too few adoptions.
Without being over emotional about it, is it not better that they pass away now whilst their nervous systems are not yet devolped & unaware of their surroundings rather than have them saved & then put down at a later date ? I could take them to a vet who will no doubt put them down as trying to raise new born kittens is a difficult task & again I ask you, then what ?
If any one can guarantee them a satisfactory life then I wouldn't hesitate to try & save them but living on death row in an over populated cage is not my idea of a good life.

Good job I was only after you opinions & not looking for advice.

Given the violence of your comments I shall return to the spot & if they are still alive I'll take them to a vet & they can deal with it.....should I do so, any misery that befalls them in the future is as much your responsiblity as it is mine.

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Eden Animal Rescue if I were in Cumbria, SPCA in Cardonald up here, can't mind the name of it but there's a place in Oban if I were up the west coast.
You asked what I'd have done, well that pretty much covers the parts of the country I hang out in. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't somewhere near you too.

Oh, and don't you bloody 'Dear reader' me. What's with all the flowery pish? How deft do your fingers really need to be to open a plastic bag? Do you think anyone gives a damn what your opinion is of what the best way for a kitten to go is?

What this thread needed right from the start is a picture of two little furballs sleeping off a bowl of milk.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm in two mind on pulling the thread as it's just going to go down hill or letting it run, I can't see it being any way constructive from this point forward so i'll at least close it for now before it turns into something people will regret, if it's not already....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE