What To Do With?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
If anything:
PVkg5Gj.jpg

K

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I would collect them, dry them and do them in a box.

In the winter evenings I would take a hand full of them out and throw them in a kettle with water and heat it.

After some minutes I would drink it, perhaps with sugar.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Berberis?
Rugosa Scabrosa. Rose hedges are made from.

Clean outside from stalk and nib, halve, remove and save the inside ( seeds, ’itching powder’)
Make a Vit C bursting jam. Chutney. Dry to later use as herbal infusion.
In Sweden we make a Rose Hip soup. (Nypon soppa)
That is why we are so long lived, strong and beautiful!

Itching powder? Teach your kids some oldfashioned fun!
:p

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I remember collecting these as a child during the war as part of the war effort. We had to take them to school which served as a collection centre. I had spent a whole afternoon picking a huge bag full but instead of praise I got told of for collecting haws instead of hips, or vice versa. Whatever I had collected made excellent itching powder, though!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Make rosehip syrup from them.
Much easier than scraping out all those wee hairs. You don't want the hairs in your syrup or jam because they cause grief to your insides.

Rosehip syrup made to be a source of vitamin C needs an awful lot of preparation and a lot of care not to overheat.
However, rosehip syrup made to be drizzled over ice cream or pancakes is very easy and is a lovely mid Winter treat.

Gather the hips and wash them (kitchen sink turn on the tap and rinse them while gently swirling them around. Let them drain down.
Put into a big pot and barely add 3cms of water. Bring slowly to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer until the hips are mushy. Put the lid on the pot and set it aside to cool.
Make a jelly straining bag if you don't have one. An old pillowslip cut up and double layered works fine, teatowels are a bit too coarse, usually. You're looking for something fine and closely woven. Two squares laid over a bowl, and pour the mush on top of the fabric. Gather up the edges, tie into a 'bag' with a bit of string, mind and leave enough ends to make a loop, and hang the bag up over a bowl to catch the drips. Let it hang overnight (I have wooden shelves in my kitchen, I screw a cup hook into the underside of one and let the bag hang from that, but I have a friend who just hangs hers from the shower head to let it drip into a bowl, and any splash mess just rinses away. Another hangs hers from a stick laid across between two of the 'arms' of the indoors clothes drying rack)
Do not squeeze!! you don't want the hairs and seeds to come through the cloth.

Next day measure the juice that you have obtained and per pint or litre add a pound or a kilogram of sugar. Gently heat until the sugar is dissolved. Then raise the temperature and bring to the boil. It doesn't need that long really, you're not making jam with this lot, just syrup. Bottle it into sterile bottles, (boiling water cleaned, don't heat shock the glass though!) seal and put by. If you really want it to keep long term without any fermentation then you can water bath 'can' it in kilner bottles or jars. It doesn't usually last long enough for that though :)

Lovely stuff, tasty, beautiful colour and 'summer in a jar' :D

M

Reactions: Janne

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Do all your hot bottling of jams and jellies on a large sheet pan.
Pomona's Universal Pectin will gel just about any fruit with 1/3 of the indicated sugar, including lime marmalade.
PUP is made from citrus peel. Even for a klutz like me, it's just about magic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE