What to do in New Zealand?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Hi all, Has anyone here been to NZ and have any suggestions? A family holiday but im smuggling a mate who is a fellow outdoor instructor student :). We are going from the 11th december to the 7th Jan arriving in Auckland.

Any tips or stories would be much appreciated

Thanks

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
You'll love it! My wife and I did NZ a couple of years ago - 3.5 weeks with a camper van across both islands. Probably the highlight for us was Stewart Island - we flew there from Invercargill in a Cessna 185 which dropped us off on a beach on the western side of the island. We then overnighted in a Department of Conservation hut (where we spotted a wild kiwi) and then the next day hiked 14km across the watershed to a river jetty and returned to Oban by boat, before flying back to Invercargill the following day.

Other things we did which I would recommend if you are in the area:

Little penguin viewing (Akaroa)
Royal Albatross colony (Dunedin)
Catlins National Park
Milford Sound
Key Summit Trail (off the Milford Road)
Franz Josef glacier
Abel Tasman National Park (use the water taxi and hike between pickup points along the coastal trail)
Taupo volcanic/geotermal area
Waipoua Kauri Forest

How are you travelling around?

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
The bay of Islands is nice albeit a bit touristy. I like Russell rather than Paihia although Paihia is good for food. 90 mile beach is fun to see and there are a lot of good places to hangout and fish in the Northlands. I haven't been in Milford Sound but enjoyed Doubtful Sound very much. I did some kayaking there and it was an amazing place. Camping all over is fun. The Coromandel Peninsula is where most of my family tend to go. Not wild camping but much less spoiled than most of the campsites I've seen in the UK. I haven't been to Stewart Island but friends who have enjoyed it very much.

When may be as important as where. Your dates should be OK for weather but you are more likely to have rain then than, say, 6 weeks later. You'll also overlap with the summer holidays so there'll be more families camping, fishing and the like.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Have a look at kea campers, I saw loads about the last time I was over there, I did 3 weeks on the south island, basically stick a pin in a map and you will be in an awesome spot. Particular highlights for me were, the queen Charlotte track, fox glacier, whale watching at Kaikoura, Wanaka, Stewart island, the Catlins and many others.
Just starting to look at another 3 to 4 weeks there next year.

http://nzrentals.keacampers.com/en/vehicles/vehicles.aspx

http://www.doc.govt.nz/
The DOC have some great remote campsites and huts to stay at.

Hope that helps

Louis

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I spent a year in New Zealand in 2002/2003. Awesome country!
I spent the whole time hitchhiking and found it easier to get around hitching in NZ than anywhere else I've travelled. Even got picked up by a Rolls Royce limo! ( https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=18643541212&set=a.8433446212.24975.516031212&type=3&theater )
It's a great way to really explore a country, especially if you want to split off from your family for a week or 2 for an adventure with a mate! :D
It would be a lot harder with a group of 6! You could split up into 3 pairs and meet up at a set destination though.
I found it easier hitching with a girl, but a lot harder if it was me and another guy.

If you do have time to get to the South Island, I loved some of their multi day hikes! I think they called it tramping...
My favourite ones were:
Trekking from Lewis Pass to Arthurs Pass (6 days)
St James' Walkway (5 days if you want to go slow)
And one which tied a few routes together. I set off from Wanaka towards Mt Aspiring and I emerged 6 days later near Queenstown.

Spent a month in the Coromandel too. That was cool, but it gets quite touristy in the summer.

I wouldn't read too many tourist guides (Lonely Planet etc.) unless you want to find yourself surrounded by tourists!
I asked almost every Kiwi I met what their favourite thing was in NZ and I had an endless supply of destinations and quests to discover and explore just from their advice!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
If you decide to go the multi-car route you could look at one of the "rent a wreck" firms. The cars will all have their Warrant of Fitness (NZ MOT) and the prices can be ludicrously low.

You didn't actually say what sort of things you wanted to do in NZ. I think we've all assumed outdoorsy stuff but there are lots of other things. For example, the vineyards in the Marlborough are all pretty close together and a wine tour is very easily managed.

There's also fairly mainstream tourist stuff like whale-watching in Kaikoura or visits to the Waitomo caves. Both are great fun. If you are in Auckland you could also head out to the Great Barrier Island. It is like going back to a NZ of 30 or more years ago.

Cheers!

Huon

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Things to do in new Zealand:

1. Criticise Aussies.
2. Talk rugby
3. The haka
4. See a kiwi (the bird)
5. See a kakapo (very rare flightless parrot)
6. See a weta (giant cricket)

First three are silly, but the second three would be on my personal 'to do' list. :)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Things to do in new Zealand:

1. Criticise Aussies.
2. Talk rugby
3. The haka
4. See a kiwi (the bird)
5. See a kakapo (very rare flightless parrot)
6. See a weta (giant cricket)

First three are silly, but the second three would be on my personal 'to do' list. :)

You'll have no trouble seeing wetas :) The giant weta may be more of a challenge though.

Giant+Weta+_BRFAL.jpg

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
HAHA wish you hadnt put that picture up!, We were gonna bivvi out :) A mixture of stuff really, a bit of outdoors stuff for me and my mate, the girls like the usual girly stuff. We are a cricket family so hopefully see some matches. The rent a wreck sounds a good idea so we can spilt up etc. I also heard of a famous motorbike road race at the bottom of the north island. The cemetary race or something. A good point is we have 30kg each plane allowance so can take some kit. How does the weather feel in summer down there? Ive read irts 30's Thanks all!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I want one! I want one!

Yeah, they are great aren't they. I think the giant is rather lovely. They all look fierce but are completely harmless. If you camp or spend much time outside you are very likely to see some. I've had them wander over my leg or hand when kneeling to light fires.

Last edited:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
HAHA wish you hadnt put that picture up!, We were gonna bivvi out :) A mixture of stuff really, a bit of outdoors stuff for me and my mate, the girls like the usual girly stuff. We are a cricket family so hopefully see some matches. The rent a wreck sounds a good idea so we can spilt up etc. I also heard of a famous motorbike road race at the bottom of the north island. The cemetary race or something. A good point is we have 30kg each plane allowance so can take some kit. How does the weather feel in summer down there? Ive read irts 30's Thanks all!

The temperature will probably be mid to high twenties but the sun will be fierce - remember the hole in the ozone layer. Good sunscreen is a must. The Christmas period has a reputation for rain so I'd take good wet weather gear just in case.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
That bike race is the Cemetery Circuit at Wanganui.... It's on every Boxing Day. Basically it's a bike race around the town and attracts quite a lot of visitors. There's usually a Jet Sprints race on a couple of days later if you're a petrol head. Actually I would recommend Wanganui as a place to go, not exactly top of the tourist destination list but a nice place to go. I live half an hour away so maybe I'm biased.
The Whanganui River Road is a must do if you go that way. It's not often travelled, even by locals and is stunning in scenery. Most people just go north or South by SH1 or SH4.
if you want to do something very Kiwi and not terribly touristy go on a day or overnight hunt at Remote Adventures. Not a flash trophy hunt, but a proper Kiwi meat hunt. They will deal to the venison if you like, and you will probably have no problem unloading it at other places you stay!
my advice would be not to over extend yourselves with travel, and stick to one Island.
The weather will be OK, possibly very good, possibly a lot of rain. Shouldn't be too chilly, but you do get 4 seasons in one day. And wear very high protection sunscreen. Seriously.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE