What to buy in the USA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Hi all

I'm going on a short trip to the USA. Any advice on what is a bargain to buy over there for the outdoors etc ?

Cheers
folks

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
If there is a Bass Pro near by I'd advise going there, even if it is a little out of your way. Even if you buy nothing it is an experience, but I highly doubt you'll make it out of there without succumbing to temptation. If you hunt, pick up a buck pocket knife while there: a 110 or one of the smaller options. They are great knives and cost much less in the states than here.

I also highly recommend looking at clothing by Filson, if you can. They should be relatively easy to find over there. I have some of their wool items and although they are expensive, they are some of the best quality kit out there. If you buy it over there you will save on postage and import duty. Filson gear is something your grandkids could end up getting the quality is that good!

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The u.s can be candy land for outdoorsmen....what kinda stuff do you need?
Can you have stuff posted to wherever you are going beforehand?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Promise to self

''I must not buy loads of stuff i don't really need and post it back home to myself, I must not buy loads of stuff i don't really need and post it back home to myself, I must not buy loads of stuff i don't really need and post it back home to myself''

I head State-side in 2 weeks

You lot are a bad influence

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Promise to self

''I must not buy loads of stuff i don't really need and post it back home to myself, I must not buy loads of stuff i don't really need and post it back home to myself, I must not buy loads of stuff i don't really need and post it back home to myself''

I head State-side in 2 weeks

You lot are a bad influence

See now your thinking is all wrong, why post it back, take nothing, buy it there and bring it back :D

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
That's even worse, i could already outfit a small expedition into various climates, several of which i am yet to visit :eek:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Plus 1 to Bass Pro and Smoky Mountain Knife Works (must be in Tennessee for the latter) Also any Gander Mountain or Cabela's. Don't forget to check the Mil Surplus stores wherever you are.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Search the on-line Cabela's catalog. Make note of prices. Total camps, shower tents and all.
Search the on-line catalog for B&H Optical/Video. Make note of prices, >1,000 binos to pick from.

Have you ever seen photo essays of "the people who shop in Walmart?" Don't get infected.
Their greatest achievement has been to kill off competition (kind of like shooting Cecil.)

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Cheers guys. Going to NYC, thankfully I've a buddy who I can get stuff shipped to so will mostly be online shopping.

Does anybody have suggestions of what brands to spoil myself with? I'm looking at 5.11 and maxpedition kit just now. Some good waterproof gear recommendations would be appreciated!

Daft question but has anyone had issues with bringing knives through customs?

Hi korvin karbon!

The US is a big country. Where you are visiting influences the type of brick-and-mortar stores available. Here are some thoughts...

I have not seen many brick-and-mortar places that sell 5.11 and maxpedition. So you may have to order it online and have it sent to an address in New York where you can pick it up.

In terms of stores to visit, here are some options for New York City and the surrounding area:

EMS and REI are traditional outdoor retailers. You will find a wide selection of modern gear that is priced moderate to high. These stores tend to be more "upscale", but on some gear may have lower prices because they purchase larger inventories.

There are many other outdoor retailers you should be able to find, but I do not know the area well enough to make a recommendation.

Do visit a good Army/Navy store. These stores sell military surplus and "like military surplus" gear. They tend to have low prices and occasionally great deals for us bushcrafters. The stores vary in size and inventory, so try to find a good sized store. Mainstream consumers of outdoor gear generally do not shop in Army/Navy stores. But you may be able to find gear there that is very different from what you will see at an REI or EMS.

New York City, being an urban environment, may not be the most ideal place to find bargains on outdoor gear.

Have a fun trip!

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
There is great advice on this thread, and woodsorrels guidence is excellent. Have a look at Outdoor Magics threads as well, becuase this question comes up every so often. I found this oldish thread - http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/outdoor-shops-in-new-york/19773.html

Dont forget more general shopping. Clothes are often much cheaper, especially if you find the clearance dept or a whole outlet (Century 21, etc). Of course dont make my mistake when my wife and I went on honeymoon of buying cheap Levi's in one size, only to find with the huge food portions that those trousers were never going to fit again. Luggage might be another one. I've just looked at Travelpro luggage (a favourite with cabin crew) - buying a 29in case from the UK stockists costs £350, whereas the same thing from an online US store (so will deliver to US addresses free but seldom international) is $255. Thats £164. So even if you dont go into a store, you can still shop and have it delivered. And your probably going to need another bag anyway - we certainly did. And my wife loves her Westin travel blanket. We bought it via Amazon and it cost us about £46, but its $59 (£38) from the US website.

As others have said, do your research. If you go into a store and only look for brands you've heard of in the UK, you might miss some real bargains (I know I did) - Kenneth Cole suits wree stupidly cheap when I last went, but at that time, wasn't a brand I'd even heard of.

And dont hesitate - your not going back to that store, so if you see it, buy it. Should have got a 2 for $X deal at Sketchers (why did I need two pairs?), but didn't. Most comfortable trainers I've ever owned, and vastly more expensive here. And totally regret not getting an M65 jacket back in 1989 when I was in a NY thrift store - they had about 5 and I didn't even think about it.

As for knives - there is a guide here: https://www.gov.uk/import-controls-on-offensive-weapons -

What they are happy with is a bit of a grey area, and whether you put it in the hold or on carryon is even worse (I doubt carryon). I had to fly to/from Inverness twice in the last two weeks, and they patted me down twice, even though there was nothing on me. Knives on Transatlantic flight might be much worse. Perhaps better to get someone to send it with full declaration, etc?

Have fun in NY. Our recent holiday in Scotland got semi shot for various reasons, and I'd love to take the family to the city as a replacement trip, if only for the food.

BTW - Seatguru is your friend!

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
M65 Field jackets are going for $25 at my local surplus store (about 16 pounds) Might be a bit more in NY though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Make sure you really check US v UK prices before you buy, sadly the States is not as cheap as it was. Also remember when posting home, if customs spots it you could well be hit with taxes so do your homework.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
If you are going to a Bass Pro shop, remember to leave about half a day clear....as u will need it to look around.....there is SO MUCH good stuff! makes u realise what a crappy deal we get over here when you see the toys the yanks get to play with! but then again they have a tad more 'outdoors' they can roam than we do in the UK

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE