What stove ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Im fed up with alcohol stoves ,well not really fed up but they are quite dirty as are Hex and green heat stoves so im after something clean burning.
It's only for getting a quick brew when im out shooting so it needs to support a '95 pattern stainless mug.
I have not used any of the MSR multi fuel stoves and was wondering if they also blacken the pots ?
Or can anyone recommend a suitable small gas stove ?
Cheers
rb

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have one of these... good system.. nice and light.. good base.. packs down small, all in all im really pleased with it boils water very quick, what more can you ask for?

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Without hesitation I'd suggest Primus Expedition range, I have the multifuel which unlike any of its competitors can also run on bottled gas. I've only used mine with Coleman fuel and gas, neither of which leave sooty marks, you might get some soot with some of the dirtier fuels that these stoves can be run on, not to mention blocked jets.

If you dont need multifuel the Primus gas only model is supposed to be very good.

And theyre both very fast, youll be amazed after using spirit burners.

You'll need a foil windshield to get the very best out of them, MSR's come with a shield Primus' dont, they only cost a couple of pounds though.

http://www.primus.se/

Sorry cant post a direct link to the page.

Jason

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Just thought, I dont know if it will support your 95 pattern mug or not, I havent got one!

Jason

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
I'm confused. I bury methyl alcohol in a wide variety of alcohol burners, and NONE of them produce any soot whatsoever. Very clean. Are you using some kind of burner with a wick or something? --Bear

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
a little water in with the meths will make it burn cleaner

i think soot also has a lot to do with the design of the stove

soot is just carbon that didnt get enough oxygen to burn into CO2

try raising the pot a little higher that may let more air in and prevent sooting

Tant

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'd agree with TOMTOM I've the same stove - well form before Karriomor to over and never looked back.

Clean, quick and cheap to run - you can even get small gas can that will fit into a pocket. Personally I can see the point for getting a petrol etc stove if you only really intend to use it in the UK or where gas is readily available.

Just about everyone I know how climbs, treks in Europe tends to use gas stoves these days.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
hi rapid i use a coleman alpine when i'm out shooting and they are great boil fast i use a crusader mug on mine :wave:

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
rapidboy said:
....I have not used any of the MSR multi fuel stoves and was wondering if they also blacken the pots ?....
That may depend on what type of fuel you fed them. I was sort of thinking about getting a new stove, when Martyn started this thread http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4553 on BB. That thread worked as a kick in me butt, and after checking it out, I bought a Nova and a new Trangia to use it with.
Feeding it benzine (or whatever you guys call "cleaned petrol"?) etc there has not been a blackened spot on the pots (on the outside that is, lets not talk too much about the inside and my cooking skills when trying to do several things at the same time :roll:), like when using meths in an ordinary Trangia burner.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
MSR pocket rocket or Optimus crux are both very compact. I pack a crux, 110g gas cartridge and other bits and pieces inside a crusader mug in my bum bag. The Crux is the dearer but has better pan supports.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Rapidboy

You could also try rubbing a little washing up liquid around the outside of the cup before it goes on the stove. That way any blackening just wipes off.

Like Tant says a little water in the meths works well, about 5% or so.

George

I've been using an EPIGAS Alpine for years. (Now the Coleman Alpine) Fantastic little stove, used it through out my Air Training Corps, Venture Scout and T.A. years and it's still going strong. Packs down small, especially if you use the small gas cartridges, lightweight and I've never been unable to get the cartridges.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE