What should a beginner's leatherworking tool kit contain ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Here's mine straight from the leprevo order;

T47 overstich wheel 6
T45 stitch groover - adj
T46 edge bevellers no 2

T11 awl blade 2" x2
T63 saddlers awl handle
T26 saddlers needles 2
TR14 Linen 18/3 brown 50 gm
C10 Beeswax 30 g

C09 Leather Dye 4 oz black
C09 Leather Dye 4 oz dark brown

since then I've added

a strap cutter
C09 Leather Dye 4 oz mid brown
bottle of mink oil
gum traganth (sp??)
artificial sinew
set of hole punches

A bunch of brasswork; D rings and press studs, Sam Browne fasteners, roller buckles, eyelets and I already had stanley knives, scalpels, steel rules a wee dod of wood for burnishing.

Cheers,

Alan

Last edited:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
overstich wheel 6
stitch groover
edge bevellers no 2
saddlers awl
saddlers needles
Glovers needles
linen thread
Beeswax 30
Leather Dye black
artificial sinew
steel rule
3 and 4 mm Professional hole punch
If you're good with a sharpening stone, save money and buy a opinel pruning knive (the one with the curved blade) once sharp it's the best thing for cutting leather I've used
and a bone folder from a paper craft shop (like the range) for £4 rather than £11 at a leather shop.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
wow! there's some really well kitted up begginers out there. i'd suggest a saddlers needle (two would be better), an awl (best ones i've ever used are made by sharpening old screwdrivers), and something to cut the leather (look in the kitchen knife drawer, there's bound to be something sharp). if you want to space your stitches nice and neatly then the tines of a fork (again, look in the kitchen) or even better a steel comb (maybe bathroom for this one) both work really well.
i've been trying my hand at leather working for about a year or so now and i've made all sorts of bits and bobs but i've honestly never heard of some of the "starter" kit suggested above.

cheers

stuart

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I'm only just starting out myself but would agree with Stu (great tip about the forks there). Advice from a professional beltmaker friend: overstitch wheels are terrible.

Try getting hold of the book Bush Leatherworking by Ron Edwards. Plenty of projects, how-tos, sage advice and home-made tools. Brilliant book (no connection etc.).

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
wow! saddle stitching with one needle must be really hard!! ;) I started with pretty much the same kit you did but found it a lot easier and quicker after buying some tools, as always it's a trade off.

Cheers,

Alan

kasakaa

Jun 23, 2010
England
essentially you can use whatever you want - i've seen holes punched with a hammer and nail before! But to justify investing in tools its worth understanding what they are for.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums...ddle-Stitch-Tutorial-stitching-with-2-needles

great tutorial on hand stitching. Note the diagram showing the diamond slits, and zigzag created by the thread... stitching in this way not only looks uniform and neat but also means you can stitch closer to the edge of the leather, while retaining strength.

Another point on investing in the tools - they should be pretty solid bits of kit, and therefore should last for years and won't be subject to unintentional damage from a beginner*.

*The exception to this is a hole punch... buy the biggest bulkiest one you can! I bought a 'professional' revolving punch, but the key locking component bent first few goes, and it is now useless. I think I will go for a stand-alone punch set next (that requires a hammer), rather than the revolving type (which uses scissor/pliar type action).

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
It should contain an Index of all the complicated tool names mentioned above this post.

edit : i.e. explination what they are all for.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
My basic kit is an awl, some harness needles, a scalpel and a lacing fid This last one is not essential but handy on occasions for marking out and re-opening holes on a back stitch.

Linen thread and a block of beeswax as well of course.

I've never really seen the point of much else unless you really want to get into complicated stuff.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
thank decorum for that one, it's a tip he passed on to me.

It's an idea I picked up else where - I'm fairly sure it was in something Kepis wrote and I just passed it on :cool:
It's a good, cheap tip though :D

Following on from post 10 and 11 on this thread ...
(link arrangement changed by myself)

That was a really good catch :D And the cost of the Tandy kit was good too (it's a sale price), but like you said - it includes tools that some might not want, need, or be interested in. And that makes it less of a bargain price.

I can't work out how Le provo can do the £50 'kit' - post #15 in Toddy's link

... What would those who actually make leather goods suggest be the basic items that a decent beginner's kit should have ?

Personal interest alert.

As far as I can work out this next bit doesn't break forum rules - if it does, I'm happy to delete it or to have it deleted by Mods/Admin.

I hold leather supplies as part of my work and I hold some for resale.
Starter kits are something that I've been rigorously researching lately - so this thread interests me on a professional basis.
Providing it's OK with Tony and admin, I'm quite happy to do the leg work once people have decided what they want in a kit (Meaning the kit mentioned in the thread in Toddy's link).

EDIT: PM sent to check whether (there is a business interest to bear in mind at my end) a GB on this is permissable.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Decorum , I'd be interested in a Kit ,many thanks for considering it as a proposal aswell.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
For a basic tool kit to start out with I’d go for the following:

12” Steel rule.
Stanley Knife or craft knife,
5 or 6 stitch/inch over stitch wheel,
Adjustable stitch groover,
Free hand stitch groover,
No. 2 edge beveller.
Awl,
Size 2 saddlers/harness needles.
Beeswax block
Thread
Pliers (useful for pulling needles through)
Hole punches (not the rotary plier type)

You don’t need all fancy kit to start out with you gather it as you go along. I use tools that I’ve got from Leprevo or Ebay and even made some myself.

Awls for example (not the diamond shape ones) I make out of large gauge darning needles, I’ve made edge bevellers out or screw drivers, grooving tools and even made hole punches ;)

Here’s my main tool kit I use for most jobs………

05102010.jpg

(Sorry about the poor photo only had my phone with me:eek:).

I have a separate sewing kit in a small tin, it contains needles, small SAK with scissors, a few brass poppers and tools and some thread.

Dyes, edge coat, fittings etc’ are all stuff that you experiment with to see what gives you the best results. But beware I've bought stuff on Ebay before and it's not quite what you expect ie: nasty smelling stiff leather and Brass D rings that go rusts:yikes:

Richard

Last edited:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
black sheep, I've one question, how do you make holes, the neat kind in belts and for sam-brown fittings, without a punch? I've tried and just make a mess,

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
black sheep, I've one question, how do you make holes, the neat kind in belts and for sam-brown fittings, without a punch? I've tried and just make a mess,

I use a punch, just missed them off the list:lmao:

Most of mine are home made out of silver steel (O1) made for specific jobs;) There's two in my tool case (left side next to the groover with the long thin handle).

Richard

Last edited:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Probably a bit late in the thread, but this is an extract from a PM I sent a few months ago.

Toadflax said:
I have to confess that I've spent more than I probably needed on tools that are all useful, but not necessarily essential, but as you get older you start to realise that you can't take money with you when you go.

...I can tell you what I think are the very basics that you need.

•Awl and handle (for making the stitch holes)
•Saddlers' needles (e.g. size 4) and 18/3 linen thread
•Sharp knife (a stanley knife will do well)
•Edge burnishing can be done with an old piece of cloth (e.g. jeans). Most people recommend Gum Tragacanth for edge treatment before burnishing but you can get away with PVA glue or even spit.
•Edge beveller - almost essential for rounding the edges of thicker leather before burnishing.
•Adjustable stitch groover - almost essential to make a groove for the stitches to sit in, so they don't wear.
•Pricking iron (expensive) or overstitch wheel to mark the stitch positions. Some people just use the prongs of a fork. If you are serious, the pricking iron is much better than the overstitch wheel, as the overstitch wheel can be difficult to keep in a straight line.
•Google - there are some good videos on youtube and ehow.com about techniques. And of course BCUK.
•Dye if you buy raw veg-tan and some sort of finish (e.g. carnauba cream). However, some people dye using shoe polish.
•I've probably forgotten something.

Geoff

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I would like to add another tool that i think is excellent ,a half moon knife ! i had been des[erate for one for a while but the high prices put me off so i have just finished making my own a couple of days ago and it is great.I would call it an Ulu.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE