what kit do you take out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
What kit are you lot takeing out with you .and do any of you go out with bear minium ie sleeping bag pot knife and axe and good clothing or do you end up with stuff you did not even use like me

jason sears said:
do any of you go out with bear minium ie sleeping bag pot knife and axe and good clothing or do you end up with stuff you did not even use like me

I'd look even more silly taking my monsterous bergen out with hardly any kit in Jason - you know me mate, my bergen just aint packed right if it's not bulging :D

I was discussing this via PM with another member earlier today and to be honest I just love taking my toys out for a play in the woods - hardly worth having if I left them at home ;)

Mind you I do fancy a bit of extreme bushcrafting with hardly any kit - could be fun!!! :eek:

Phil.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i usually take an axe, folding saw, knife, zebra billy, trangia, tarp, sometimes a hammock, sleeping bag although i am getting some blankets which i will use in the warmer months and i cant really think at the moment so that will be it for now.
i know that i could scrap the saw and just use an axe or the other way round or leave the zebra billy and just use the trangia but i havent been out much so i dont really know what works best for me
i hope to become knowledgable enough to go out with just an axe and a cooking pot when i am older, now that would be fun
leon

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
I'd look even more silly taking my monsterous bergen out with hardly any kit in Jason - you know me mate, my bergen just aint packed right if it's not bulging :D

I was discussing this via PM with another member earlier today and to be honest I just love taking my toys out for a play in the woods - hardly worth having if I left them at home ;)

Mind you I do fancy a bit of extreme bushcrafting with hardly any kit - could be fun!!! :eek:

Phil.
I new you would jump in here :lmao:

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
I think that the images might upset a few people as they could be considered to be "not very Politically Correct" - I'll have to save them for you as I just can't Doooo iitt :p

Phil.
you are jokeing there verry funny :( thats sad

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
At first, when I started. I thought it would be fun to go with the bare minimum. to go extreme. But it wasn't fun at all. From then on my kit only grew and grew. Now I'm at a point where it's beginning to schrink. But I still carry loads.
Sleepingbag with bivybag - thermarest selfinflatable - poncho (wich I use as tarp and poncho) - Knife - Hexamine/esbit burner - mestin - stainlessteelcup - And I'll be fine. When circumstance asks for it a saw and/or tri-fold shovel are optional.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I went bare minimum on a survival course in the army, world war one battledress, ichy as hell, missing half a leg and all the inside left of the jacket torn open, a pair of old army boots with no laces, and with nothing else on underneath.
They instructors gave us a PSK with a candle, a flint + striker, a button compass and a wire saw (you know the really crap ones!!) and a sketch map of the area we were in.
And off we went for three days on Dartmoor in November. If I said it was Brilliant I'd be lying..

So ever since then I have always packed as much gear as I think I will need, even if it doesn't eventually get used, Anyone can be uncomfortable but not me I like to enjoy myself when I go out these days.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
This weekend it will be in my coat:
Frosts Mara knife
58 pattern water bottle
Turbo lighter
Mobile phone
FAK
BCUK Torch :p

In Bag:
Hammock
Sleeping bag
Tarp
Candle latern
Petzl Myo headlamp
Folding saw
hank of paracord
DC4 sharpener
Second 58 pattern water bottle + plastic cup
Gas Trangia 25 (two days) or Military Trangia (one day)
Personal hygiene kit + towel
Food bag

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Hmmm....I guess the first question I always ask is "what's the climate and what is the weather likely to be"....

I kit accordingly.

However, had a trip to Sweden last September and took WAY too much stuff. :eek: ...I think it's a microcosm of life really...you learn by doing more of it!! :D

Phil

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
jason sears said:
What kit are you lot takeing out with you .and do any of you go out with bear minium ie sleeping bag pot knife and axe and good clothing or do you end up with stuff you did not even use like me

You should have a "what you stand up in", weekend at your bucks site mate... I'd be happy to join you or maybe we can do it next time we're at Pete's, he's even been threatenin to join in too! :lmao:

I did an 1800's weekend a couple of summers ago and very much enjoyed it, must get round to organising another one soon.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
Depends, if I am going to the woods I take axe, knife, small billy can, good clothes and bed roll and a small possibles pouch with tinder, DC4, fireflash and Opinel in it.

If on hills, fells or mountains I take more stuff such as rations and a stove if there is no wood.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Zodiak said:
Gas Trangia 25 (two days) or Military Trangia (one day)
That will teach me to cut and paste lists!!!
Tonight I am actually taking my big trangia (to feed two people) but using the meths burner as the temperature is going to be low and gas won't work too well. :rolleyes:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Well this is always a compromise between not having a lot to carry and being comfy.

I guess it all depends on certain things like, how much walking your going to do, how skillfull you are at replacing certain things by making them in the wilderness.

Personally i like to take minimum, and add comfort items based on where/what im doing. (sometimes ill take extra just for the fun of it)

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
bambodoggy said:
You should have a "what you stand up in", weekend at your bucks site mate... I'd be happy to join you or maybe we can do it next time we're at Pete's, he's even been threatenin to join in too! :lmao:

I did an 1800's weekend a couple of summers ago and very much enjoyed it, must get round to organising another one soon.

Cheers,

Bam. :D
got one in the pipeline cheers bam :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE