What kills starving people?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
[h=1][/h] (Also posted to http://www.hunter-gatherer.org/what-kills-starving-people/)

The litterature on survival tells many tales of death by starvation, but also of survival after long periods of starvation. We have Christopher McCandless who died after having spent a winter on starvation diet (when he was found he weighted only 30 kg) as the perhaps best known example of death, and the so called "snow man" in Sweden this winter as a recent example of survival. An article by a medical doctor and survival expert in the Swedish journal Läkartidningen gives a good summary of what science knows about death and survial in cases of starvation.

The key facor appears to be vitamin B1 (thiamin). We have good data on two groups of starving people; Irish prisoners who went on a hunger strike in 1981, and Turkish prisoners who hunger striked in 2000-2002. Based on the data it is fairly clear that with only water humans die after 46 to 73 days of starvation, but that with viamin B1 (600 mg/day) survial was extended to between 130 and 324 days (median 197). There is also a case of an Australian student who got lost in Nepal, and spent 42 days on a rock shelf inside his sleepingbag and survived with only minor permanent injuries

[h=3]Why vitamin B1?[/h] To understand the importance of vitamin B1 you have to recall your senior year chemistry from school: the citric acid cycle (also know as the Krebs cycle). In order for glucose to be turned into acetyl-CoA (and then fed into the citric acid cycle) an enzyme needs thiamin (i.e. vitamin B1) as a cofactor. Simply put; without a supply of vitamin B1 the body can no longer power itself. This explains why the Irishmen died with a BMI of about 15, while the Turks in some cases had a BMI of 10 when they died.

[h=3]Lesson for survival[/h] There is mainly three lessons for suvival here:

1. Vitamins (esp. B1) are more important than food in medium lenght survival situations
  2. When a starving person recieves nutrition also giving B1 is essential for survial (there has been cases when this has been neglected in hospitals, with death as the result)
  3. Humans can survive for 6-10 weeks on water alone, and 4 months to almost a year with water and vitamin B1.

Links: http://www.lakartidningen.se/07engine.php?articleId=17925#comment

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i nearly spilt my whisky then lol my daughter loves it i find its alright <you either love it or hate it>

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
So adding a stash of vitaminsupplements to your gear might be good in the long run for more than one reason.....
What food does contain vitamin B1?? Apart from the killermarmite...

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Would rather chew my own leg off.

Like Dave53 said that about made me spray my breakfast! thanks for the laugh.

In all conscience I could choke that stuff down if I had to. Bit like Crocodile Dundee said about the Goanna lizard. "You can eat it, but it tastes like $#it."

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Forestwalker, very interesting read that.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Marmite! Don't leave home without it. :)

Excellent!!! Love the stuff! I guess it also gives you salts which you would need if you were just drinking water and perspiring!

The top 10 list, seeing fish on there reminds me of a story about a man lost at sea who was surviving by catching fish. But as the weeks went on he found he wasn't getting enough sustinence. Until he suddenly had cravings to eat the parts of the fish you otherwise would not (The eyes, the liver, the kidneys, etc). It was on TV a while ago... I can't find any version of the story online though :(

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Excellent!!! Love the stuff! I guess it also gives you salts which you would need if you were just drinking water and perspiring!

The top 10 list, seeing fish on there reminds me of a story about a man lost at sea who was surviving by catching fish. But as the weeks went on he found he wasn't getting enough sustinence. Until he suddenly had cravings to eat the parts of the fish you otherwise would not (The eyes, the liver, the kidneys, etc). It was on TV a while ago... I can't find any version of the story online though :(

There you go :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Callahan.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adrift-Seventy-Six-Days-Lost-Sea/dp/0345410157

bearbait

...seeing fish on there reminds me of a story about a man lost at sea who was surviving by catching fish. But as the weeks went on he found he wasn't getting enough sustinence. Until he suddenly had cravings to eat the parts of the fish you otherwise would not (The eyes, the liver, the kidneys, etc). It was on TV a while ago... I can't find any version of the story online though :(

treefrog mentions Steve Callaghan.

Whilst it's a long time since I read his books I seem to recall that Dougal Robertson was eating all sorts of "interesting" bits, including, IIRC, sucking the moisture from fish eye balls when he was adrift at sea with his family.

It was his experiences adrift that caused me to plan for an active-survival by means of a sailing liferaft and the contents of two panic bags for my boat when I spent some time blue-water cruising, rather than the regular passive-survival liferaft.

after my very short and misrable militry career, I worked for a company based in Dubia, we used to do alot of work for the french doctors without borders or you might know it as Médecins Sans Frontières .

some of the work involved us working in so called refugee camps in africa and other problem areas of the world, as part of the "conditions and rules" for working in there was the rule that we NEVER EVER NEVER feed the refugees "our" food, the main reason was they were unable to digest it and as such it it could kill them, we were under strick instructions to not feed the refugees in any way ever our jobs depended on it , they were fed, either what looked to us as baby food or peanut butter gloop,

the same effects were seen with when people where released from the horrors of the polish concentration camps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE