What is this (possibly wild garlic leek)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Hi Folks,

Found this today and wondered what it is, it smells very onion/garlicy

photo12.jpg

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I would stake my dog on that being ramsons/wild garlic. You can eat the lot, I like to use the flowers before they open up and the roots are nice too. Blitz them up with some mayo for a nice garlic mayo!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Ramsons 100% sure. great eating and keeps the in-laws away (at least mine)
you can eat every part of the plant without trouble, leaves are great in salads or chopped as an ingredient to anything, the bulbs are sweet and delish, the heads before they've opened are like little firecrackers of pepper/garlic and when the heads have opened you can batter and fry them!

In the words of bill and ted a "most excelent" plant ;)

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
ramsons,wild garlic,shed loads of the stuff grows around here where i live. i did find something on youtube last year saying good ways to eat eat

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The Ramsons I saw last week looked pretty much like that as its not flowering yet, still edible though and makes a good addition to a salad.
Seems to lose a fair bit of flavour when its cooked though.

Make sure it smells like Garlic when crushed though cos you don't want to mistake it for Lilly of the Valley.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
I think Crow Garlic has much different leaves, more akin to those on onion - more tubular.

Edit - Plus you'll know when it flowers :D
CrowGarlic.JPG

....as opposed to
Ramsons.JPG

Last edited:

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
Mix with some toasted pine nuts, a bit of parmesan and blitz with a drop of olive oil hey-pesto! still got some in the freezer from last year. Also try making soup with a hand ful of ransoms, four handfuls of nettles (nice and fresh) one large potato and some veg stock. (got some of that in the freezer too as I made up 17 litres of it last spring. it makes a good base for pasta dishes and chicken/squirrel/rabbit stews.

Jumbalaya

Tenderfoot
Cannot quite make out if there is a sharp 'keel' along the underside of the leaf (making it a sort of crushed Y shape). If that is present then it's very likely to be Three-Cornered Leek (tho. that is generally found in the southern part of the UK as it generally requires a warmer climate). If the flowers appear as white bell-shaped types, along with the 'keel', then it is 3CL. The leaves are too thin to be ramsons, and there also appears to be a midrib or reinforcement in the V bottom. Ramsons leaves, even when they are young, are almost flattened, and they also begin to quickly broaden out as they mature... unlike the more grass-like leaves in your pic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE