What is the best torch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
oooohhh that's a loaded question

Batteries- Lithium or standard AA/C/D or rechargable
Bulb- LED or Incandesant?
Size- Pocket or monster carry?
Brightness- Second sun or enough to see by?

There are a number of options

LED Maglights are quite good (the smaller AA ones)
http://www.shop4torches.co.uk/acatalog/Maglite_Mag-LED_Mini_2-Cell_AA_Torch.php

going up to the indestructible Surefire torches

http://www.shop4torches.co.uk/acatalog/Surefire_6PL_6P-LED_Compact_High_Intensity_LED_Torch.php

I have a number of both types. My everyday favourite is a Surefire L4 that i run on rechargeable batteries so i don't have to worry about the expense of the lithium batteries.

Give us an idea of what you will be using it for and we'll see what we can come up with:)

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Just everyday use.

I have maglite's etc, just wondered if there was anything better?
The surefire ones sound interesting! I have a bit of a torch thing at the moment and im
looking round for a topnotch torch for winter, possible powercuts etc. I know any torch is better than none in a powercut, i just wanted something decent :)

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I personally use Fenix and Surefire torches but, as has been previously mentioned, you've got to think about batteries. If you look at Bernie Garlands thread about torches for lamping, you'll see a Tesco torch that really has to be seen to be believed. I had the opportunity to compare it in the field to my Surefire M2 with a Malkoff 225 Lumen drop in and the only difference was a little bit shorter distance and a narrower beam on the Tesco torch (The Malkoff drop in is a wider beam and the distance difference was almost imperceptable). Having said that, i can only imagine the Surefire will last longer, at least i hope so as it cost almost four times more than the Tesco's one!

Here's the link: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-5039.aspx

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I personally use Fenix and Surefire torches but, as has been previously mentioned, you've got to think about batteries. If you look at Bernie Garlands thread about torches for lamping, you'll see a Tesco torch that really has to be seen to be believed. I had the opportunity to compare it in the field to my Surefire M2 with a Malkoff 225 Lumen drop in and the only difference was a little bit shorter distance and a narrower beam on the Tesco torch (The Malkoff drop in is a wider beam and the distance difference was almost imperceptable). Having said that, i can only imagine the Surefire will last longer, at least i hope so as it cost almost four times more than the Tesco's one!

Here's the link: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-5039.aspx

Ive just got back from tescos Jed having bought one,theve got a bigger one for £18 isle 3 is were you find them.

Bernie

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally I like some thing that will work as a headtorch - so I can use both hands.
A red lens option - for map reading etc - so nightsight is not destroyed - is useful
Varable intensity ( single/cluster LEDs) makes a torch versatile.
Ease of battery aquisition makes a torch easy to reload - I like AA or AAA batteries for this reason.
I find that my camera (AA battery model) uses only the "top" of the charge and those registering "dead" in the camera will keep my torch burning for days!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
We never used red filters for map reading as they obliterate contour lines. You wouldn't want to find that cliff face all of a sudden in the dark, would you!

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
To get the best of two worlds you might consider a torch with a diffusor. It could be used as a normal spotlight style torch or used to light a whole room, a tent or a camp site with the diffusor attached.

The Fenix L2D CE Cree Q5 with a diffusor would be a good example.

Another good choice might be a Zebralight. It's a surprisingly small and good light for close up work, reading or indoors general light during powercuts. But it doesn't throw a focused beam far away. Will work handsfree as a headlight or attached to your clothes. Very nice if you have to fetch and carry in the dark. Great for every day carry since it is really small.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Ive just got back from tescos Jed having bought one,theve got a bigger one for £18 isle 3 is were you find them.

Bernie

Are you happy with your purchase Bernie? :D It was actually the larger £18 one that i linked to. I thought it was the one in the link in your thread, but the £18 is lower on the page, clicked on that and thats the one i had the chance to compare my M2 to.

I also have a Zebralight head torch, the CR123A version and i love it to bits. There is, however a seperate thread on that subject.

Why are Surefire so expensive? Because they are made to be 'squaddy proof' to put it bluntly. The military and Law Enforcement need to rely on their kit and when you need light, you don't want to be shaking and slapping a torch to get it to work. I think Surefire is reassuringly expensive and that's why i've got two (M2 and E2E, M2 in my E&E pouch, E2E in my Uni pack). My Fenix is my in-car, 'where's my torch, damn it's in the house, oh no, there's one in the glove box' torch. 1 AA battery and a very useful amount of light. My Zebralight is either on my head or in my Ventile pocket and a spare Petzl Tikka in the bergan.

Still, the Tesco one looks good, need a long term test though................................!:rolleyes:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I like the Nitecore EX10. Far left.

nitecore_compared1b.jpg

Extremely bright yet very compact. Very reliable piston switch. Here is a video describing how it works.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE