What is in your medical/first aid kit, show and tell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
After enjoying the discussion regarding the medical uses for a sanitary towel it got me wondering what else other people might have in their medical or first aid kit.

To get the ball rolling here is mine

attachment.php

We got personal meds of asthma inhalers Ventolin and Becotide, painkillers of Tramadol hydrochloride and regular paracetamol, hazardous waste bag, various bandages some plain and others specific like finger and eye, crepe and conforming all sterile, vinyl sterile gloves and scissors, sterile gauze, antiseptic creme, safety pins, regular self adhesive plasters, O'tom tick twisters large and small, nasal airways clearer, Wilmas Nordic Summer midge repellant and jungle formula 50% deet, I also usually have non alcohol sterile wound wipes but i ran out last trip and need more and a small tough bag to keep it all in. I also now plan to pop a couple of tampons in there so I am also prepared incase any female trippers find themselves caught short without for the regular intended purpose.

So whats in your box/pack? Anything i am missing that i should have?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'd popped up my main medical pouch in this thread here, but I'll repost it here.

A fair few of the usual things with a few additions:-
icon1.png
Well continuing my pouch fetish I'll get on to my main first aid pouches.

The first one is one of the TNF mini duffels, strong and pretty watertight. I keep my spare meds in here for longer trips - again a "Nitestick" on the zip for ID and finding after dark.
IMG_0732.JPG

I go through a fair amount of tablets at the moment so it comes in usefull.

Second up is a little bug-out bag that I keep my first aid kit in. Holds a fair bit so only really used when camping, take something smaller for walks.
IMG_0733.JPG

Again there's the obligatory glowstick, but also on the outside there's a "Fox 40" whistle - boy they hurt your lugs when you blow them, a thermometer with mini compass and windchill chart (do you know your beaufort scale boys and girls?) and an "Inova" LED torch which can clip to you and has various functions.
IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

As well as the usual suspect of dressings, bandages, wipes, and normal first aid paraphernalia there are a few additions. Spare inhaler spray, anti-diarrhoea tablets, Tom o Tick tick puller, nail clippers, different types of strong painkillers, broad spec antibiotics, Olbas oil, knife, batteries for torch, strobe, blister kit, liquid bandage, burn treatment, hot pads, hydration powder, survival blanket (slung underneath), disposable gloves, hand wash, bug cream, saline, heliograph (as talked about in post #4), scalpel, cover for mouth to mouth, little first aid prompter. No longer has any pen flares, they were good fun though!, Some Oralgel and clove oil for toothache, Oh and some other bits and bobs.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Cool a couple of things there i reckon i'll add, cheers for sharing

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Camping I take a little ziplock bag with me with a few things in it. At camp I've a much better kit I store in a see through map case...now stored in a box in my 'man cave' since the house move, I'll find it eventually lol.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Not got a photo of it, but currently mine contains:

• Small IDF Dressing
  • Large IDF Dressing
  • 10 assorted plasters
  • Space blanket
  • Drugs pack :
    • 6 x Loratodine 10mg
    • 16 x Paracetamol 500g
    • 8 x Ibuprofen 200mg
    • 3 x Asprin 300mg.
    • 6 x Loperamide HCl 2 mg

I am pondering adding some Low adherent dressings and tape. I am also going to add a tickcard or tick twister as soon as the group buy completes. The only other item I am looking to add is some burn gel.

But that's it. It's only a solo kit for when on my own, anything else I will adapt/improvise from other items I am carrying.

Julia

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Mine started as a solo pack but i found many times too often i am the only person with any at all so it steadily started to be prepped for more than just my needs, only thing i seem to regularly use are the pain meds, the asthma inhalers, the antiseptic wipes and the creme and the midge repellants, the rest i hope i never need to use.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Here's mine as I found it from my last trip.

1l Dry bag

Midge repel
20ml Sudocrem
Medium bandage
Whistle

Ziplock containing:
Cut-to-size sheets of plasters
Assorted plasters
Alcohol pads
Bister plaster
Surgical tape
Large adherent dressing.

Small nylon bag containing:
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Co-codamol
Diohorrea relief
Antacids
Lipsyl
Tick tweezers
Heliograph / Tick mirror
Safety pin
Rehydration Salts
Spare chlorine tablets

All in 255g, but could do with some sunscreen adding for summer and more blister plasters.

DSC_0397_zpsmdolahg4.jpg

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
hows that Midge repel worked for you?

Very impressed, used it pretty much exclusively last year and I thought it was comparable to any DEET based product I'd tried. It lasts a long time and it's much more compact than sprays which appeals to me. Smells good too :).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Here's mine as I found it from my last trip.

1l Dry bag

Midge repel
20ml Sudocrem
Medium bandage
Whistle

Ziplock containing:
Cut-to-size sheets of plasters
Assorted plasters
Alcohol pads
Bister plaster
Surgical tape
Large adherent dressing.

Small nylon bag containing:
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Co-codamol
Diohorrea relief
Antacids
Lipsyl
Tick tweezers
Heliograph / Tick mirror
Safety pin
Rehydration Salts
Spare chlorine tablets

All in 255g, but could do with some sunscreen adding for summer and more blister plasters.

DSC_0397_zpsmdolahg4.jpg

Thats not bad but you need to think about adding a couple of good sized pads to it, they will add to the overall bulk but...if you or someone has a bleed you'll wish you had them chap.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thats not bad but you need to think about adding a couple of good sized pads to it, they will add to the overall bulk but...if you or someone has a bleed you'll wish you had them chap.

You mean like an IDF dressing Richard? I do have one of those that I pack when I take an axe, but that is the minority of my trips.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
My only experience with big bleeds was losing just under 3 pints from my guts, i have enough trouble elevating that at the best of times let alone with a 6 inch horizontal knife wound in it so it was all about the pressure, i literally felt like i was holding my guts in.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have several kits ranging from my Van Kit - which is housed in a Medics Bergan Side pouch to my bimble bag - which has an ouch pouch of a couple of plasters, some absorbant "ambulance" dressings and some micropore (plus gloves and info sheet and a couple of other small items.
Every kit is tailored to specific environments and the likelihood of typical accidents in that environment.
My Camp Kit has everything from Tic Tweezers to SAM splints, burn dressings to blister pads - even a Dental kit!
I keep medical kit separate from first aid, insect repellent separate from both.
First Aid is different from Medical treatment or prevention.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
My only experience with big bleeds was losing just under 3 pints from my guts, i have enough trouble elevating that at the best of times let alone with a 6 inch horizontal knife wound in it so it was all about the pressure, i literally felt like i was holding my guts in.

Crikey :(!

I think the bottom line is you could end up carrying a huge amount of first aid gear if you planned for every contingency, I just try and take enough to cover the comfort side of first aid really. Broken limbs and severe bleeds I can improvise for (sounds dumb but how often do they occur compared to a small cut/blister/headache etc...).

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I can see this thread is going to make my first aid kit to grow and adapt, currently i take one kit for all purposes and i am trying to keep it small as i don't drive i have to be my own packhorse, can't rely on the feet anymore on the pedals so i am a public transport gimp (when i am in my wetsuit hahahaha)

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Pack for the stuff that happens often (little cuts, headaches etc) and prepare for the stuff that will kill (think cabc) everything inbetween can be worked around

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
That is how i currently roll but seeing what other people take makes you think laterally

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
It depends on your training, i carry a laryngoscope and set of magills forceps, wound glue and sutures and large bore cannulas for decompressing a tension pneumothorax.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE