What is 'Glamping'..??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yeah.. heard this one a few times but still not sure exactly what it means.

From what I gather it's what people call camping when they have fridges and high tech stuff.. :confused:

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Please and thank you! ;)

Samon

(threads are boring without pictures, so here's my late fat ferret)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
GLamorous cAMPING... essentially it means camping in a tent but with the luxuries you would usually reserve for other types of holiday or home life.

We have a glamping tent... 5m bell tent that has carpets, tables, chairs and even a chandelier.

Some have 4 poster beds in their tents or hot running water... anything really that adds an element of luxury to the camping experience can be classed as glamping.

For arguments sake, a hardened hillwalker who relies on a one-man tent, small stove and dried food could debate that anyone cooking on a BBQ on a campsite was a glamper.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Camping on flat campsites with showers, electrical hookups and other amenities to me. I guess it's subjective. Pretty much hit the nail on the head with your description

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Loving the gratuitous ferret picture. A great idea for thread. Post a pic at the end just because you can. Excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Glamping? It's a pigeon hole :p

Hmmm ... ferrets are part of the weasel family ... as are badgers ... interesting black head stripe that little fella has ... and parts are 'honey' coloured :evilangel: :p

(threads are boring without pictures, so here's my late fat ferret)

You say 'late', if so my condolences. If you got auto-corrected from 'latest' then s/he's a chap/chapette :D

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Sadly that ferret is now dead. His name was beef. :) He was apparently a 'silver' ferret, but I suspect he was a sort of sandy cross, either way he was a fat, soft house fert. He died an unpleasant death like some of my previous ferrets, enlarged spleen and eventual a boney/bloated end.. on boxing day too.. he was a good little guy though, and had a good life.

So glamping is fancy camping with all the mod cons? ah, thought it might have been.

From what I've seen of some of the members here, is they mostly 'glamp'?.

I've always walked to a camp site and have through necessity had to not carry anything too heavy, food and beer/water being heavy enough. Those who have designated stoves, pans, plethora of tools, fancy sleeping rigs, parachute tarp things and what not are all glamping right?

I mean, if you drive there, surely it's a given you'll over-do you standard set up and go for more.. right? more = glamping.

Alot of people call it 'bushcraft' because they start a fire with a space age ferrocerium rod, carve stuff with a knife and wear green, but in most cases, they are kitted out and set up for a rather high tech and pleasant night out. Unlike nearly every night I've spent outside, in the cold, pretty uncomfortably and pest bothered nature lol.

Just a thought, not a rant by all means. :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Cramming the car with as many luxuries as you can!
Like above we have a bell tent with wood burning stove, chandelier, carpets, lanterns, double and single bed with proper sheets and duvets.

Its all good how ever you get out there.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Alot of people call it 'bushcraft' because they start a fire with a space age ferrocerium rod, carve stuff with a knife and wear green, but in most cases, they are kitted out and set up for a rather high tech and pleasant night out. Unlike nearly every night I've spent outside, in the cold, pretty uncomfortably and pest bothered nature lol.

The one thing I've taken from this site in the short time I've been here is that you can label it whatever you want, we're all outdoors and loving it! :)

Bushcraft... am I bushcrafting if I have a woodburning stove in my front room? I'm making a fire in the winter to keep warm and if I like, I can start the process with a firesteel!

Glamping... am I glamping if I take a wool blanket? Or is it if I take a pillow? Or a torch?

Prepping... I bought a few more tins of beans than usual to keep a spare stock, just in case.

Labeling is lots of fun and it riles up discussion like nothing else... as was demonstrated when someone suggested that bright clothes/tents on a hillside was an eyesore... its all based on personal opinion that some will share, some won't.

I spent last weekend under a tarp in a hammock, next weekend I'll do the same, but come next month I'll be in a field in a lovely canvas bell tent... and given some luck I want to build an igloo to sleep in one of these winters...

... I call it being outdoors. What do you call it?

A relative recently went "glamping" in the Sierras. He and his young children stayed in a Yurt that had running water. It was a rustic environment, but meals were provided and there was a zipline and other outdoor activities on the grounds. It struck me as an upscale sleep-away camp.

I should say that my relative knew exactly what he was getting into. Nobody on the trip thought the were actually camping. But it worked for them because it was easier to manage the young children and keep them entertained. And the modern conveniences were required to get some of the adults into the mountains.

It is not much different, conceptually, than the "resort hotels" of the early 1900's whose ruins I find while hiking in remote corners of the mountains. City dwellers enjoyed nature without sacrificing their modern conveniences.

I find I am less likely to belittle "glamping" now that I know someone who has done it.

- Woodsorrel

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
The main objection I have to glamping is the way that many sites have put semi-permanent tents,"pods" or similar on pitches that were once available to people who were self-sufficient. Regrettably, the Camping Club has joined the trend and sites that I remember as a child being a field of grass in the countyside are now covered with huts and concrete hard standing for huge caravans and motor homes. The worst examples have bars and restuarants. Site fees reflect the need for these rural developers to recover their investment.

When my parents first took me camping 65 years ago, we took eveyrthing we needed with us and quickly learned how little we needed. We could hear the wind in the trees, birdsong and could see the stars at night.

No wonder many postings are about how to find "wild camping" places. I feel very sorry for youngsters today who have birdsong in the morning drowned out by the generators and air conditioning units of glampers and the night sky polluted by allnight artificial lighting.

What next, a swinging extra fee to camp simply in a field with no amenities but peace and quiet?

In the USA there is enough space for both styles to co-exist so that a choice can be made. Unfortunately in England and much of Europe, glamping is taking over and "wild camping" ie Camping, less easy to do.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Nobody on the trip thought the were actually camping.

Of course it's camping... for goodness sake, just because its a different type of camping, it is still a night away from home in a tent... at least they're attempting to connect with outdoors!

I've got to admit, I was under the impression (and this isn't solely directed at you Woodsorrel) that the majority here were a tad more open-minded than what I'm reading recently. There seems to be a very fixed view on how we enjoy the outdoors, what camping is, and particularly how people go about it.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I feel very sorry for youngsters today who have birdsong in the morning drowned out by the generators and air conditioning units of glampers and the night sky polluted by allnight artificial lighting.

Well I reckon we tell them not to glamp then. I reckon they should stay in the concrete jungle until they meet a specific definition of what it is to be outdoors!!! That'll teach 'em!!!!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
"Clamping" anything over what you can carry on your back, drag behind a horse or dog team, or over and above the displacement of a canoe. And most definitely what I want to do when I grow up...
images

Pol Age 53/1.2 :p;)

Last edited:

K813ZRA

May 1, 2015
Spain
Sadly that ferret is now dead. His name was beef. :) He was apparently a 'silver' ferret, but I suspect he was a sort of sandy cross, either way he was a fat, soft house fert. He died an unpleasant death like some of my previous ferrets, enlarged spleen and eventual a boney/bloated end.. on boxing day too.. he was a good little guy though, and had a good life.

Sorry to hear your ferret has passed. He sure was a big fella!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I don't think glamping is something that should be discouraged or mocked. If you enjoy it go do it in my book. I've found with some people there can be a degree of snobbery and to me that's not something I would ever like to be. I once met a fellow pair of bushcrafters (i use that term lightly) while in my usual spot and as I always do offered them a brew. When walking away I overherd them commenting on the fact I was using old mess tins and a "cheap knife" and laughing. All the gear no idea is the impression I got. And I don't think anyone's hospitality should be met with mocking and contempt because they CHOOSE to use the gear they do. So if you want to use a built bell tent and a heater then crack on if you want to build an A frame then I'll happily help you put it up. This hobby shouldn't be elitist

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE