What is a Camp Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
What makes a Camp Axe what it is, how does it differ from other Axes/Hatchets??? In your learned opinions

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Instead of a brown leather loop hanging from the handle, it has a pink one?

( sorry, could not resist!)

I think it is just a name. A large hatchet/ small axe. I have seen ’camp axes’ of various sizes.
Most of what I hsve seen seems to be of low quality too.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Dunno really. Maybe a boys axe size (GB Scandinavian forest axe)
"Camp axe" to me denotes something a little larger for splitting wood for a stove or shelter building maybe?
I don't think it has much of an official designation, more of a colloquialism like a lot of axe terminology

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Medium sized axe meant for camp chores = pounding in tent pegs, splitting firewood and kindling,
maybe chopping bones in food prep from hunting success. Not good for opening fruit juice tins.
Sandvik(?) felling axe is 56 oz, the camp axe is 36oz.

Reactions: CLEM

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Medium sized axe meant for camp chores = pounding in tent pegs, splitting firewood and kindling,
maybe chopping bones in food prep from hunting success. Not good for opening fruit juice tins.
Sandvik(?) felling axe is 56 oz, the camp axe is 36oz.
It is as I reckoned, a colloquialism for as you described. My Rosseli is the perfect camp axe

Reactions: Robson Valley

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Oh yes .. that Roselli axe is miracle. The head came loose on one of mine and it took a little enterprise to sort it. It is very impressive, and everyone I camp with is very envious of it .. not to the extent of buying one for themselves though ... bunch of skinflints :lol:

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
IMHO, and in my camp, a camp axe is a relatively small axe that's used around the camp for splitting and preparing wood for the fire. I like to have a variety of fuel sizes and that includes split wood to control the fire - get a fast flame for the kettle etc. It's also always an axe that I am happy with anybody in the camp using; there's no point having a 'camp axe' that I'm too precious about - consequently, you won't find any Roselli axe being treated as camp axes here :)

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
It depends on the role be it beheading chickens creating kindling or repelling midges….

hand ax small kindling and limbs off trees
felling ax splitting logs or felling trees to make an Abatis

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
you won't find any Roselli axe being treated as camp axes here :)

I don't find there's much that is precious about the Roselli :) ... tough as boots and anyone and everyone I camp with is free to use it. So long as they don't try to sharpen it. :lol: We usually arrange to divvy up heavy items among ourselves, especially if there is no need for two of them .. like axes, big tarps etc.

I picked up the long handled Roselli, too. It is very good also, but less compact than the tiddler. Thing about the Roselli is its absolute versatility. The GBs etc., with their thin grinds, are OK for green wood, as it says on the tin, but not good at cutting AND splitting. They have more of that Plumb kind of philosophy of making a practical design for two jobs bundled into one item. Though, the Roselli and the Plumbs go about answering the same question slightly differently.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE