what can I take flying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
other threads have made me think about this.

What can I take through customs and on to a plane. ?

first aid kit.

can I take old fashioned razor blades...
we know a knife is out :)

fire starting kit ?

sewing kits

is there a list somewhere of what is allowed who would we ask.

your thoughts

David

deepcmonkey

Forager
Nov 6, 2007
Oxford
You are not allowed any thing with a point/edge I believe, the exception may be for diabetics who need insulin. You are allowed to carry one lighter on you so waterproof matches may be ok.

First aid, why would you need one?

I think there is no need for all this survival type stuff on a commercial flight really. Only a good idea if on light aircraft in remote areas and then you can carry what you want.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I flew to Borneo last year from heathrow it was a nice 747 the further we went the smaller the planes seem to get. last one was a prop plane about 20 seats. funny we started off with plastic knifes and forks finished with metal I think the plastic were sharpest :)

but the point of my post if I bother to carry a plaster can I carry a pin if I carry.......

suddenly your carrying your own survival kit so what can I take :) anyone know :)

sorry I did try to be clear with my first post but thanks for your reply

David

deepcmonkey

Forager
Nov 6, 2007
Oxford
fair one,

If flying out of UK/Europe/US as per my original post nothing sharp, I know some one that had a set of nail clippers taken.

Other countires like Borneo etc. will vary and it can be often down to the secruity guards discretion.

Sucking eggs but:

Option 1 Ask the airline who you will be flying with or contact the airport

Option 2 Dont pack any thing you wouldn't mind losing

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Have a look at http://www.baa.com/portal/controlle...n^Security+Control^Frequently+Asked+Questions

And if what you want to take is not listed, ask the airline or call up BAA on 0870 000 0123 and ask them.

I carry a FAK & sewing kit with me everythine i travel (which is frequently), but it's all in my hold luggage and i have never had a problem, i also carry a small FAK in my carry on, but it has no pins (inc safety pins), scissors etc in it, only plasters and a few headache pills, and that's never been queried, refering to the post by deepcmonkey, i carry a FAK with me because of some of the countries i am travelling to, where hygiene, can be a little suspect and i would rather use my own gear, if you have a problem on the aircraft then the aircrafts FAK is more than up to the job, i should know, i sell them as part of my job.

deepcmonkey

Forager
Nov 6, 2007
Oxford
I realise that carrying a first aid etc..in other countries is good practice, but it can be put in the hold luggage when travelling, a pack of pain killers can go in your bag and is often a good idea, although I am sure they have them on board.

I am sorry and I dont wish to apear rude but it is pretty much common sense what you what you take in your hand luggage.

Do you need a fire starting kit ON YOU, all you are going to do is hold people up at the security desk

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Out of interest, the contents of an airline FAK are as follows:

airlinefak.jpg

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I am and I dont wish to apear rude but it is pretty much common sense what you what you take in your hand luggage.

Do you need a fire starting kit ON YOU, all you are going to do is hold people up at the security desk

You would be surprised what is taken in carry on :) from knitting needles to cats..... both by little old ladies....

yes they have very good first aid kits on planes including ones that are for doctors only containing prescription type. All of these they quite like you to leave behind when you get off. If you get off and your bags are missing you know have nothing.........

I wonder what would be wise to take on a plane....... what would common sence tell me to do.

sorry I thought it would be a good topic to discus. I read more than I type on here. Bushcraft is great but there are a few basic tools that help, some people believe in being prepared other leave it to luck. I carry a folder almost every day, without it I feel naked a cheap farmers type they cost about 8 quid and last about ten years before I lose them all my friends know I have a knife in my pocket that is sharp. I stopped carrying the piece of string because they used to take the micky too much....

when I get off the plane I look forward to retrieving it from my hold luggage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE