What bushcraft tools and know-how do you use in your daily life?

• Thread starter ex member coconino
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

ex member coconino

What do you use in your everyday "real" life—work or domestic—which you've got or learned from bushcraft? I mean tools, knowledge and techniques, etc. that you wouldn't have without your interest in bushcraft.

I'll start this off with a simple one: I've been using a firesteel to light my domestic gas cooker since the built-in ignition died a couple of years ago. Works a treat!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Leatherwork and knifemaking- I make and sell the odd bit as part of my income
Basketry - I store some stuff at home in home made baskets
Woodcarving - making props for our theatre
I have started writing a Survival and Bushcraft column for a motercycle mag

TBH - Most of my life revolves around bushcraft skills! :D

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I forge things when I'm not at uni. mostly just knives these days, but they don't sell well so I might move back to the more traditional stuff. - pokers and firesteels etc.

Andy

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
i travel around alot back and forth from mates places ect, i spend alot of time in tarps and caravans so the usual would be breaking my back carrying a 5 galon drum of water everyso often, splitting wood for the burner ect.

at my parents house (home i guess)

i make knives for some extra sludge, i also make leatherwork.
ofen split logs for my dad with a felling axe.
when theres no nice meat, i go to the feilds and shoot rabbits and pigeons, more fun than tescos.
repair my kit
i just like to make things when i get bored, like catapult rifles and other fun contraptions ect.

oh and forums, theres not much more bushcrafty than forums

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm a carpenter by trade and when I get that sort of work amongst my tools is a drawknife and a carpenter's axe. The drawknife gets a lot of use too, if only to rough out the wood before final planing with a conventional smoothing plane. Saves a lot of effort too and so much nicer than using a powerplane. Obviously the powerplane has its use too. You can't beat it for the rustic repair projects I sometimes get asked to do

The carpenter's axe has been used sometimes, but not half as much. I use that mostly for splitting kindling for the woodburner. I figure the more practice I get using it the less strange it'll be when I have to use it properly.

My Leatherman Super-tool lives in a pocket on my toolpouch belt and gets used often, if only to sharpen a pencil or strip wiring when fitting a plug for a client. I've even adapted one of the tools into a bradawl

If my job requires it, and his has recently, I take along my folding camp bed, sleeping bag and some other kit for some home from home luxuries. Saves having to drive home and set off again the next day back to the job if it's a long way away. I kip over in their barn and pretend I'm a journeyman. It's a nice life.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
I use my leatherman when at work aswell as the use of proper knots, etc. Tree and plant I.D comes into play aswell.

The best skill so far would be tracking, this comes in handy when I get the 12 bore out at weekends.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
For me it has been the other way around ! I use tools and skills in my bushcraft that I learned in daily life and whilst growing up. I just didn't realise it was called bushcraft until I discovered this forum several years ago !!
For example my father taught me how to sharpen a pen knife, planes, chisels etc when I was a child and these skills have luckily stayed with me. My interest in nature and wildlife was stimulated by my father who knew most flowers and birds around our area, and by an elderly neighbour who was an expert botanist and fired my enthusiasm and encouraged me to study . Camping, fishing and firelighting skills were learnt by playing in the woods, rivers and fields with my local gang, luckily we never caused major arson !
Interesting thread, thanks for starting.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I'm a park ranger so I use woodcutting skills, firemaking, tracking and many others daily. I generally carry my Svord peasant knife as an EDC but occasionally opt for a victorinox forrester. Although not legal carry (forrester locking blade Svord just over 3" blade ) I have "just cause" to be using them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE