what backpacks and day sacks do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adam_myers

Sep 25, 2011
durham
curiosity question about what backpack people are using at the moment.

i've got a snugpak rocket pack 70L or 40L with side pouches off.

what do you have and use the most?

happy posting :)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I currently own a Dakine Helipack Pro, which with its 22 liter serves me as a casual pack, and a small daypack
and I have a 90 liter Lowe Alpine Saracen Dutch military edition with the two side pouches which brings the pack to about 120L
Love the pack to bits as I can carry everything, it's nice while carrying, its rugged to the bones and if you take the side pouches off you have a 30L pack as they zip together into a small rucksack.
only thing is the empty weight of the bag is around the 4,5 kilo's which could be a bit lighter IMO as with flying is a big burden as you can only pack 14 to 15 kilo's of gear instead of 17 to 18.
But I am still on the look out for a pack in between, around the 40 liters
Yours sincerely Ruud

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Frost River Isle Royale Jnr

2D0E79A6-BD6D-4328-B2D1-93269450E853-11339-00000C5ED682943A.jpg

Sent from my phone.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
i use a Fjallraven No.21 as a daysack come sort stay rucksack (recently upgraded from the Fjallraven Vintage 30l pack which is now for sale ;) )

and a karrimor sabre 45 for cold weather camping or longer trips, and i add the side pouches if i need more packable space.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
ULA Ohm or CDT for longer trips, Sabre 45 for weekends in the woods, Alpkit Gourdon/Montane Cobra or Maxp Jumbo Versipack for day trips.

Ohm..
DSC03488P.jpg

CDT ..
P1000782P.jpg

Sabre 45 ..
DSC02070.jpg

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I use the Gossamer Gear Murmur which will carry 22lb or work as a day-sack. Have been trying other packs but, so far, nothing else suits me. Am considering the ULA Epic as I like the idea of a lightweight frame carrying drybags of whatever size (up to 60L) you need. It also has a slot for an inflatable raft/canoe, not that I want a canoe but I can see the space carrying the GG "One" tent or my DD hammock, or summat.

Am also considering the other end of the weight sale in a Karrimore ... I like the pockets and the bottom compartment, but I do have to consider I'll be toting 2.7K (over 5lb) before I even load it! And do I really need a rucksack that is that tough? where am I going and what am i doing that would need it? Los of things to think about ...

May go and look at the thing Adam has as well ...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just had a look at this, for price and what it seems to do it may just have knoked the karrimore off my list. Ta for heads-up, Adam

The Rocket Pak is designed to sit above a webbing order Elen so one to bear in mind before you buy.

Have a look at this thread for some further info

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Just 2p on the rocket pak Elen.
I got a black 1 mega cheap brand new on ebay, but after I read a few things on here I feared the worst.
However, I can gladly say I was wrong, Im 5,11 ish and it is a bit shorter in the back than most but for me it worked fine, also when its weighed down it sits quite alot lower thean when its empty.
I took it up a mountain in Wales and it was brilliant.
Plus from what I rememebr you recently bought a snugpak response pack, I have 1 of these too in black to match my rocket pak, and i can also confirm its possible to wear the response pack round your waste and the rocket pak sits nicely on top of it.

also in wales I had 2 down sleeping bags pushed right down the bottom of the pack no problem and still had bags of room for my tent sleep mat, ectra clothes, food stove water etc. and that was without the side pack.
All in all I would certainly reccomend it but not if your were any taller than me.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Steve

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Gossamer Gear Mariposa plus 73l for lightweight backpacking
Ancient Karrimor 20l for daypack,
45l Stripped down Mountain Warehouse pack for not bothering about too much,
Sabre 130 + sidepouches for foreign winter use.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
DSC_0113.jpg

Where do i start.
Karrimor Jaguar, Berghaus Munro, Berghaus Vulcan and Lowe Alpine Salient.

Looking at getting either a LA Strike or Berghaus Centurio

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Some Deuter 22L affair for day walks and weekends sleeping in hostels/B&Bs. Karrimor Alpiniste S 45+10 (old one) for hiking when camping and dossing about camping. Then I have a 60L Alpkit drybag thing that I forget the name of for when I'm on the water.

Should be replacing the Karrimor with an Osprey Exos 58L at Xmas, although it's incredibly comfortable it's far too heavy for hiking being just over 2kg iirc.

ghound

Nov 10, 2012
doagh
I'm on my second one of these 30l mil-tec backpacks (dog chewed the old one)
Loads of pockets, bladder pouch, big enough to hide an 18'' machete and there's straps on the side to tighten the load up. There's also molle straps which i'm a big fan of as i can pick and choose what i need to carry depending on what foolery i have planed, camping, fishing, hunting, archery, metal detecting etc etc and for around £25 there great value, though there not waterproof as the zips let in.

Here's a few pics of what to expect for your money..

backpack001.jpg

backpack003.jpg

backpack010.jpg

backpack005.jpg

backpack006.jpg

backpack007.jpg

backpack008.jpg

backpack009.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE