Wet Weather Fire Lighting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Today I went out to one of my locals, that is being worked (clearing trees), for a spot of wet weather fire lighting. The only thing I used to light the fire, that I didn't find in the wood itself, was a Web-Tex steel of fire. The tinder, kindling and fuel, all came from the surroundings. The firesteel let me don't a little, by coming free of it's holder, but I persevered and managed success. I will be making a bow drill video in the future and probably a wet weather bow drill video too.

It's a pretty long video, as it's from start to finish. Collecting the materials, lighting the fire, then clearing the fire site to leave no trace.

Hope you find it useful.

[video=youtube;YOkz7hIT9xo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOkz7hIT9xo[/video]

Sanji

Forager
Oct 20, 2006
Oban, Scotland
Great video, excellent guide to gathering prepping and lighting a fire when wet. Shame your firesteel decided to jump out and try to run away lol Nice instruction on our leave no trace rule. But I couldn't help hearing some type of sound from motor transport racing in background?

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Nice vid Adam , you will need those skills on Wednesday, your films are in danger of becoming feature length.

Looking forward to hooking up again at the meet .

atb Ivan...

Conclusion for the Web-Tex steel of fire...

Produces some great sparks, but takes a lot of force to do it (whether it's with a knife, or the supplied striker), plus the rods aren't glued into the plastic holder, just push fit.
I have since glued the rod in, but this obviously doesn't help with the striking force required.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for the video - really good to have a 'warts and all' one. Those which show everything working perfectly first time eg always getting loads of sparks from a firesteel - just make me feel inadequate when mine aren't like that

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Excellent video dude, you included some great tips in this that I'll keep in mind. Especially the point about spreading the ashes with your hands to ensure they're cool enough to be left safely.
Thanks for sharing!

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
really nice video. I like the fact that you're collecting the wood and disposing of the fire too - so many vids are literally 30 seconds of throwing a spark into an already collected and prepared fire. Very hard to learn from that. Yours goes through the whole process in detail, thankyou! Also nice work on the website, the background and nav are much better now!

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Good vid!

I learnt how hard wet wood fire lighting was this last weekend. I too only had a fire steel and I will admit I resorted to a splash of meths to get my fire going as everything was soaked!!

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE