Welsh made knife info.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I was lucky to find this slip joint at a car boot today, and I am looking for some info on it.
It bears the makers mark: M H Davis Aberystwyth.
And has CYMRO AM BYTH on the blade.

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

Thanks guys I have never heard of this maker before and was interested to find out.

Thanks Mark

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Can't help either, but it's a very nice find, nice bone scales too. Have you tried on British Blades Forum? They have a lot of collectors there.

The scale on the other side is chiped and cracked, I had just thought they where a form or plastic?

Mark

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I dident know there was a knife maker there either thats why I was looking for some info. Is it possible it was made for them in Sheffield?

Mark

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I'm from that area originally (was actually born in Aberystwyth). I've asked around a couple of the older members of the family and apparently MH Davis was an ironmongers in Aber once upon a time. I've found this reference to them in the National Archives.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=B23537

I'm sure I know the name though.... it's possible the name still exists on an old shopfront somewhere in the town.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE