well a couple of hours out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Hi all,

My eldest has wanted to go fishing for a long time he's been asking for a few years, I thought it was fad he'd fall out of, however I bought a cheap fishing set to see if he'll stick with it. I've never fished nor had any interest to do so as such I have no clue what to do at all, so it's a learning experience for everyone :). The first day we went to the harbour, where another father and son were fishing, he came over and helped my son rig up [even looked at our stuff, said it was a bit pants - in a friendly way :)] then rigged up the fishing rod, giving us some better weights, hooks and bait then spent 1/2 hr showing my son how to cast, reel in etc. What an awesome chap :)

Anyway, this is now an excuse for me to get out with the kids for some outdoors time:) 2nd and 3rd trip were to a bay 3/4 hrs drive away, I don't have any pictures of that :( but managed to take my stove and make tea while the eldest fished and the others played at the beach.

Fourth time out, and I look a camera, we were only out for an hour or so [plus 1/2 walk there and 1/2 hr walk back - got to get some exercise in there somewhere !] this is at a little bay at the mouth of a river which separated two towns, marred slightly by a fairly busy road next to it.

GEDC0548_zps4djp0ohk.jpg

2nd Child wanted a camping fire, so I thought that'd be nice.

GEDC0549_zpsoaivxlpe.jpg

only a small thing [mora for scale]

GEDC0550_zpsnooptmyw.jpg

3rd Child helping with wood collection :)

GEDC0551_zps2jmhsiwf.jpg

shavings with pencil - finger sized kindling. After a couple of matches [about 4-5, it was quite windy really!] it became this...

GEDC0553_zpsfzvhat59.jpg

It was at this point I realised I'd used all my tea bags over the last week or so and hadn't replenished the supply. However there was a packet of hot chocolate I'd appropriated from a hotel room a few months ago - much to the children's delight

GEDC0556_zpsovnaurxw.jpg

Son 2 warming hands [although it's summer, it is NE Scotland :)] - and my black travel mug full of hot chocolate

GEDC0557_zpspbvo5pi1.jpg

Son 1 with his own fire a little way up the beach, I think he's getting to the age where it is NOT cool to be seen with your dad :) - This photo was taken with the maximum zoom permissible with the camera - and the bugger still noticed me!

GEDC0560_zpsctfkog5p.jpg

National boyhood pass time of poking a fire :)

GEDC0563_zpsr7hc2bvg.jpg

Daughter with hot chocolate after it'd cooled down a bit.

GEDC0573_zpsfan0qmwk.jpg

Walking home. this is about 9.00 at night with an hour or so of usable light left.

Anyway, it was an impromptu outing which was very pleasant with everyone having a bit of fun, no fish were caught this time though. I was too busy un-tangling line, tying knots, and spiking hapless worms onto a hook to take any photos of that, but it did happen honestly:)

On that day we went to the harbour he caught 3 fish, far too small to do anything with and so they went back. But the other father and son caught a sizable cod which they gave to us, subsequently filleted and fried up, son 1 eat the lot without saving any for me!

Well that's all folks - just felt like sharing. Cheers now.

MaddogMatt

Oct 9, 2015
Suburban West Birmingham
Brilliant. I recall as a youngster getting my first fishing kit, probably 7 or 8 years old. My birthday is just 6 days before Christmas. I vividly remember going to the local canal with my Dad and having to break the ice to be able to fish. It really was the start of an awesome journey that has led me to a point where I am now able to pass on skills to my Dad and my 5 year old daughter.

Just last week she made her first fire using the magnifying glass on her compass, and char cloth which I had already prepared. Unfortunately when blowing into the newspaper smoke got into her eyes, but soon it was forgotten when it burst into flame!

Parenting done right, I truly believe that we need to be self sufficient and pass knowledge on to others, especially our kids.

Not a virtual Pokemon in sight. I salute you, good sir!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Really good write up, thanks for putting it all together. Good to see others helping you rig your lines etc. It's rare nowadays that people are willing to do such a thing. It's always good to get out with my son or daughter. It's good for the soul.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
@ MaddogMatt, yes my wife explained Pokémon 'bagging' even where I am there are a couple of places. I immediately thought of Geo-caching but for kids in an urban environment, part of me thinks this is great, getting folks out and about, part of me is saddened as the only reason they are out is to look at a screen to capture a non existent thing. Maybe I don't understand the point of it.

I'm even quite young, and have been brought up with technology, but I think this generation now is the first to really have it and it be normal. As I read on this site on another thread I can remember Libraries and having to physically research stuff in school and college, these days the internet is always the first call. I'm guilty of this now, we've recently thrown most of our reference material at work away as the vast, vast majority of the time the best place to look for the most uptodate information is the internet.

@ barbourdurham, I was quite surprised how readily the other chap came over to help, giving his time, advice and even some [albeit inexpensive] equipment! I do try to get out and about with them as much as possible - usually I don't have a camera. But I'm at a busy point in life now with too much other stuff to do, so your right it's nice to get out even for a few hours.

I've often seen other threads of people getting out and about and when I can't get out myself it makes me feel happier to see what other's are getting up to, so I just though I'd share too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE