Waxing a hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
Soon winter and rain will be upon us and I have invested in a 2nd hand wax hat with a wide brim. I was thinking of re waxing it but I don't want to go and buy a whole new tin of Barbours wax or similar is there a cheaper way of doing it?

Cheers

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Probably cheaper, and certainly better and easier. I use Nikwax Wax Cotton Proof. Use it on appropriate jackets, bags and items of clothing. Gives a much better and even finish. Don't know if it says on the new instructions yet, but stand bottle in warm water before applying as it goes on much better. I've done heaps of gear with this... LINK

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
You could always melt some tea light candles and throw in some beeswax, I think it's 80% paraffin wax and 20% beeswax if memory serves correct. That's what I use on my stuff

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
I make my own wax, it's 1 part neatsfoot oil, 1 part tallow and 1 part beeswax.
Heat it lightly and slowly so it's all the same consistency, let it cool then rub in circles.
Leave it to hang overnight to dry. Repeat as you like, or;

Add 2 parts beeswax if you want a stiffer mix, but in that case you want to apply it when it's as close to liquid as you can, but not too hot.

There are plenty less messy methods but I stick with what I know :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE