Waterproofing a cotton smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Alright gents, I've a Swedish Snow smock that I'd like to waterproof, what are your preferred methods, wax or???

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you did, I predict that perspiration will condense inside the smock and freeze it to whatever coat you are wearing underneath.
The result is that the smock will be almost impossible to take off until the binding layer thaws, leaving your coat cold and wet.

I can imagine that snow in Sweden is like ours = like sugar, you just brush it off.
I've got a full set of NatGear Snow camo in silent brushed cotton. It seems to stay clean and dry.
Of course, we're unlikely to get caught out in rain in January!

The Australian Drover's coats are waxed, there's a re-proofing goop that you might be able to buy. "Outback Collection?"

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I'm guessing that because you want it waterproof, that you are intending to use it for wet, not freezing conditions? I have one that I have never worn that I am considering waterproofing.

I think a few folk here have tried this, so I too would like to know if any of them worked out.

Z

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you have the Army Snö dräkt M-62 be aware of that it is made from very thin cotton. Made to be worn in freezing conditions as an outer, loosefit layer.
I doubt the fabric will hold the water proofing for long.

RV, the snow in Sweden differ with the temperature and area. In Stockholm it is usually sticky and grey.
Up north anything from wet and heavy to a lovely velvet. Or the very fine, loose baby powder that dusts just by breathing on it.
( that is in temps of around -30 and colder)

Last edited:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I'm guessing that because you want it waterproof, that you are intending to use it for wet, not freezing conditions? I have one that I have never worn that I am considering waterproofing.

I think a few folk here have tried this, so I too would like to know if any of them worked out.

Z

I got one last year dyed OD from Endicotts (though I think they have sold all the dyed ones) and just used standard wax jacket wax and Mrs N's hairdryer.

It's not fully waterproof in a downpour but great as a cheap and cheerful reasonably thornproof worktop when it is drizzling or when working in wet woods but as it is unlined, condensation does build up if you are working hard. It's ok on a quad bike although I quite fancy upgrading to a TwoDogs RainDog with a tail long enough to keep my cheeks dry when the seat is wet!

IMG_0975.jpg

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have a fond memory of shooting the Carl Gustav anti tank gun wearing a brand new Sno drakt. First day in a 3 week exercise.
About 5 shots, full load, armour piercing grenades. Lovely, better than a woman!

The top turned dark grey from the back flash. Zero camoflague. Had to be ditched.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE