Water Purification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
Hi Folks,

Just a confidence check required if thats ok.

I recently did an overnighter in the Peaks, needed some water and took some from a stream, boiled it and drank it the next day. The taste was clean, the water was clear, no problem...

However, I just did a similar overnighter in Dartmoor...took 1 ltr of water from a stream (post dead animal checks of course), boiled it and had some the next day. The water this time had a strange taste and tbh put me off drinking it. I had some potable reserves so wasnt too worried.

Is it normal for the water to taste quite strong still after boiling? (It was also had a yellowy tint too).

I camp with the Mrs and we are quite new to this and her safety is my primary concern.

Thanks in advance.

Neil.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Sediment deposits in suspension from the peaty soil will impart some flavour and In the case of springs so will underlying mineral deposits, if you want really foul water take a trip to Cheltenham Spa pump rooms. One kid described it as 'like drinking a fart' ;) The run off from Pine plantations has a similar issue and is slightly acidic as well but well within safe limits to drink (Fish on the other hand are very sensitive to it and as a result Limestone sand is added in the upper reaches of the Towy to aid Salmon stocks.) I also tend to avoid any water immediately downstream of a farms, forestry workings & sheep dips, especially if there's foam collecting on it.

Anyhow...
Using a filter such as a Sawyer-Mini will remove all the lumps giving clearer/cleaner looking water that barring viral or toxic waste contamination is relatively safe even without boiling or other sterilising treatment. Additional charcoal filtering will also help the taste if it's still a problem.

UKYanky

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2017
Grantham
Ok, thanks guys. I dont mind drinking the water even with a taste, it was a bit strong but not too bad, I was more concerned whether it was ok to drink...I'm happy now to tell my Mrs to "get it down ya!"

BTW I do have a Sawyer, but I reckoned that as I was having a fire I would just boil it instead.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
It'll always taste a bit "off" now and then, pass it through a filter and it normally clears up.

You can freshen up the flat taste of boiled and cooled water buy pouring it between 2 billys a couple of times.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE