water proofing advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
I'm sorry if this has been asked before.
I have a Snugpack Sasquatch coat (got it at the outdoors show for £40) but I want to re-proof it, what do people reccomend for this as the filling is Softie fibres? :You_Rock_
Taz

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
Wash it first with Nikwax Tech Wash, then proof it with Nikwax Polarproof.

That shoukd get it waterproof, just make sure you tumble dry or hang over a radiator afterwards to heat activate the Nikwax waterproofing - check the garment care label to see which method is best.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
While we are on the waterproof thing.
I got a new oz tarp off eBay a few months ago.
I’ve used it a few times but not in any heavy downpours until the weekend gone.
4 days in the Cambrian mountains and it rained hard all day everyday. My tarp started leaking on day one in the middle where the centre loops are attached. I’m a bit gutted I’ve used oz tarps for over ten years and my first one was second hand I still got years of use out of it with no problems.

Having never had to waterproof a poncho/Tarp some suggestions would be great.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Do you think there are some cheap imitations about? I’m sure my last one was a bit bigger too.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Do you know if they sell it in town shops like Blacks or do you have to order on the net.
The reason i'm asking is that i'm off out again in a couple of days and dont have time to order and I dont really want to get the british poncho out.

Rod

On a new journey
Hi Den,

If water has seaped through the hanging loops on the underside onto you, then it sounds like water has penetrated the seam. It has dripped onto you via a capillary action. You can fix this by applying a line of Grangers seam sealant to it.

Best fix method: (my experience)

• Pitch your tarp on a dry day at a comfortable working height
  • Apply a continuous thin line of sealant down the seam covering the fabric to left and right hand sides of the stitching
  • wipe off any excess
  • leave to dry

job done!

Hope this helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE