Washing bison bushcraft shirts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
These shirts come with clear instructions about hand washing or dry cleaning. I am just wondering how people have got on with cleaning theirs and if they have used any other methods?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive just put mine through the washing machine with everything else. You know dark or lights. No ill effects. If youre a bit paranoid about it, just handwash it with a woolen wash.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Gave mine a NINETY degree wash from day one as it was way too XL. Whatever shrinkage occurred it still is so had SWMBO put a couple of side pleats in for a more tailored look.

K

Last edited:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I hand washed when I had it first but now I tend to chuck it in on a cool wash. It's probably shrunk a bit over the years. (Of course, there could be another explanation...)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've washed mine both by hand with Woolite and on the wool wash cycle in the machine with the Nikwax Woolwash stuff. Both have been fine: no colour seepage or shrinkage.

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
Thanks for the feedback folks, that was helpful. Love the shirt can see its gonna be a favourite item. Have to say I am a bit miffed at the £8 postage they charge as it arrived with at having cost only £3.30 just in basic packaging!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Have to say I am a bit miffed at the £8 postage they charge as it arrived with at having cost only £3.30 just in basic packaging!.."

In the sense of...

The price franked on the package was £3.30?

I suppose you are paying for someone to package it, also the reduction in admin costs that a flat p&p rate provides might allow for the shirt and the rest of your gear to be priced slightly cheaper?

Great shirts though, far superior to the Swannie ones.

:)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Every so often when washing mine I'll either pop in some lanolin or a cap of baby-oil. Helps keep the wool in good nick and also weather-proofs it a bit.
As to cleaning agent I tend to use Nikwax Woolwash.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I don't have a bison shirt, but I have several 100% wool shirts and wash them in the machine at 40º, with no ill effects. However, the caveat; I, or rather it was my daughter wot done it, have had one shrink when it got accidentally washed at 60º.

Now I buy over big (I'm a UK XL which = US L, so buying US XL "tall", buying from the US as their "tall" fitting means the arms are long enough for me) and wash at 60º for the first wash which reduces the garment a size and that takes care of the shrinkage, enabling me to find something else to worry about.

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
Thanks for the feedback folks, that was helpful. Love the shirt can see its gonna be a favourite item. Have to say I am a bit miffed at the £8 postage they charge as it arrived with at having cost only £3.30 just in basic packaging!

Sorry to trawl this thread up but I thought you'd like to know that this shouldn't be an issue from now on. Our new website gives us the ability to set postage by weight rather than based on an average ball park value/size. You also have the option to select regular fist class or insured RMSD. Either way I have to agree with Sandbender, as there is more to sending a package than just the cost of the stamp.
Roger

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Everything i've ever had that was wool always seemed to be over sized, possibly due to the shrinking issues. I wash at 40c with liquid soap flakes and then hand out to dry, never an issue.

Tonyuk

Woodywoodpacker

Jul 21, 2015
Hartlepool
Roger you have not got time to `troll this thread you should be hard at work making the wool shirt that I ordered so that I can then inform everyone how I wash mine.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Roger you have not got time to `troll this thread you should be hard at work making the wool shirt that I ordered so that I can then inform everyone how I wash mine.
He's too busy searching beneath the Cutting Room table for a 1m off-cut of "Autumn" plaid for my matching and, it must be observed, c10-years overdue matching hood!

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE