WANTED Pot for IKEA Drainer stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I need a sensible pot for a picnic kit...Something like the above...or even a mess tin set.

I have;

purse net for rabbiting
beeswax
leather

lots more!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Hi Tengu. I've made one from a stainless steel sugar storage canister using coathanger wire for a handle. It was realy easy to make and cost £1 from the charity shop. Fits inside the ikea stove nicely so makes a nice compact bit of kit.
I have some golden syrup tins waiting for a spare moment to be made into billys the same way.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yes I think if you have a home made ikea stove you gotta have a homemade Billy to go with it. I vaguely remember making a frying pan out of a fray bentos pie tin as a kid. I can't remember what I did for a handle though. Got the tin... awaiting inspiration on the handle. (Not very non stick if I remember correctly )

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The Fray Bentos pie. I haven’t had one in years and years. Tried a nostalgic visit to Mr Brains frozen faggots a while ago and truly wish I hadn’t. :vomit:

I’m always seeing sugar, coffee and tea containers in the charity shops, that’s probably the best bet.

What’s the diameter of the drainer?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Fraye bentos pies don't tate quite the same as they did either. Wonder if it's to do with taste buds changing as you get older?

Diameter of the ikea stove is a tad under 5 inches.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Will have rummage through shed in the daylight, pretty sure I have one or two that will nest nicely.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I have found that some of the coffee / tea / sugar canisters have a 'soldered' bottom and soldered join running down the side.

The problem with these is if they get to hot the solder 'lets go' and the can 'splits'.

By hunting around I have found cannisters that are 'deep-drawn' (made from a single piece of steel) - easy to spot if there are no joints its deep-drawn.

**** I'm sure it is not actually 'solder' in this H&S day and age but something holds the joint together. It maybe just a pressed / folded joint but when heated it can open up.

**** The deep-drawn ones tend to be rounded where the sides turn into the base.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
IMAG3510.jpg

• 100mm diameter
  • 1 Litre capacity
  • weight 230g
  • Stainless Steel [deep drawn / spun with no seam]
  • Factory finished with a black paint that has proved surprisingly heat resistant
  • Fitted with wire bail however holes punched large enough for coat-hanger
clean-can.jpeg
This is what they look like on the shelf.

Reactions: Woody girl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE