WANTED: Antler Percussion Hammers for Flint Working

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I have decided to have another bash(!) at flint working, or lithic technology.

When I first got involved in the school volunteering project we were lucky enough to have a day with Will Lord, and I have a copper pressure flaker, small hammerstone and abrader, and a hand pad. I also have some antler tines for pressure flaking

What I don't have is any larger percussion hammers, and I'd like to try and use antler. I know that copper boppers are available but in the context I hope to work (KS2), then antler would be better.

Apologies if this should be in swaps/exchanges but if anyone can point me towards some antler then I'd be delighted. Obviously I am happy to buy/pay postage etc if any of you fine peeps can help.

Thanks!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Cheers.

I did look on his site but all I could find was the kits?

I'll have another look or e-mail him.

Are you a regular rock basher?

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I shall do that then, thanks.

My initial objective is to be able to transform a large nodule into a pile of useless itty bits; I should be capable of that.

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
I'm pretty good at that too mate. I still more often than not make a pile of smaller pieces of flint rather than a tool. However, I am not getting to the point where I can knock out a hand axe, axe heads and arrow heads.
I want to move onto blade core technology next really, but getting my hands on good flint is really hard.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I guess it is the same learning process as converting a canoe paddle to a sugar spoon when learning to carve :)

I am lucky to live in a flint rich area and have a good collection of flake blanks for small blades and arrowheads. I think I'm clear on the theory of platforms and pressure flaking, but the boppers will help for the early percussion work.

I firmly believe that the geology of early Britain drove the beginnings of trade; look at where hand axes made in North Wales end up.

Have you had any instruction or has it been "hit it and see"?

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
I had a day in a group session in Jan 2013 with Will. About 4 months later I went and spent a day having 1-2-1 tuition with him which really really helped. Since them I've probably spend 100+ hours breaking rocks, and had loads of fun doing so :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I'm tempted to do the same thing myself; best to avoid developing any bad techniques.

I mailed him about hammers so I'll see what he comes back with.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fyCAz7v7BBo/T3WtIYA9bLI/AAAAAAAAArI/ABXWNJsmuB0/s1600/flint.jpg

6hZ9FDnl.jpg

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
If you can get to him for some 1-2-1 time its' worth every penny. I learned more in those hours that I did in months of doing it myself. He is an incredible knapper too, and just watching him create flakes is beautiful. You wont be disappointed I promise!

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I did a day course a short while back with him and his dad. Great fellows the both of them. I'm booked back in for another go.

Tried at home since and have the making gravel down to a fine art. Just need to make something I can use now :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a couple of Antler crown - IIRC thats all the soft hammer is? They aren't big ones, but you can have one for the asking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE