Walking for weight loss

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Well according to my scales i have hit 100Kgs.......

The heaviest i have ever been.
I am rocking a 46" chest, 39" waist and am quite unhappy with my body.

So time for a change, i am going to walk my way to a slimmer waist.

I do walk a bit, maybe a few 4-5 milers a month to get out the house, but from now on im going to try and up this to 2-3 times a week.

Today was my first and walked a path i have not been along yet, was only 3.71 miles but its a start.
Will try and find a way to make it longer as its a very nice walk.
Also i will be doing this with an 8Kg pack that will get heavier the fitter i get.

The route i walked
Screenshot_2014-06-06-19-39-26.jpg
A lonely oak tree in a field
20140606_171947.jpg
The ivy carpet in a wood i walked through to check for camping sites.
20140606_175100.jpg
20140606_175112.jpg
A bit of tree ID, found my first Cherry.
20140606_175208.jpg
Found a memorial to someone near a tree with a lovely overlook of the area.
20140606_175503.jpg
20140606_175514.jpg

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Good on you mate. I have been doing the same thing. Need to kick my bottom as I have a bit slack the past month. I have found Geocaching is a good waybto keep motivated and a way to find local interesting place to walk.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Welcome to the walking for fitness crowd. I've been doing the same after I put on far too much kummerspeck and suffered an injury so I couldn't walk much. Have got upto doing 10-12k walks, which are quite good, tho 2 hours for each one.

One thing I have found really helpful is podcasts. Download the friday night comedy from radio4, inside science (also from radio 4), and the outdoor station onto my phone, out come the poles, and off I go, keeps me from going mad while walking alone.

Good luck!

J

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Well done on making the commitment.

One bit of advice i'd give is keep your pack as light as possible.
Adding weight doesn't improve your fitness, it only stresses your joints and connecting tissue.

Once you start getting a bit fitter try breaking into a steady jog for 1 min or so, after that walk again for another 3 mins or so and try another 1 min jog.
Very very gradually build up the jogging times and reduce the rest walks, after a while you'll be able to complete the entire walk at a jog.

Walking in itself is great exercise, unfortunately it's not really good for weight loss unless you are doing longer walks.

Don't get me wrong every little bit helps and even a 10 min walk is better than nothing and if you do it regularly then you will lose weight.
It's just in my experience you reach a weight then stick there and even with more regular and longer walks it's difficult to get lower.

Plus unless you're walking up long steep hills walking isn't going to improve your fitness level as much as bit of jogging.

What ever path you take just make sure you take it easy and gradually increase your distance and effort, going too hard/long too soon is what causes most injuries.

I'd also recommend nipping to your GP, tell him you intend to start excising and get a check up if you haven't had one in a while.

Again well done and good luck.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Well done on making the commitment.
Once you start getting a bit fitter try breaking into a steady jog for 1 min or so, after that walk again for another 3 mins or so and try another 1 min jog.
Very very gradually build up the jogging times and reduce the rest walks, after a while you'll be able to complete the entire walk at a jog.

Walking in itself is great exercise, unfortunately it's not really good for weight loss unless you are doing longer walks.

Kinda, sorta, mostly. I did what you describe, and it screwed my back up something chronic. Don't start trying to run before you can walk, and by walk, I mean a brisk walk that you can keep going for 5+ miles.

Don't get me wrong every little bit helps and even a 10 min walk is better than nothing and if you do it regularly then you will lose weight.
It's just in my experience you reach a weight then stick there and even with more regular and longer walks it's difficult to get lower.

Plus unless you're walking up long steep hills walking isn't going to improve your fitness level as much as bit of jogging.

You would be surprised. It might not be pushing your VO2 max, but it will certainly be helping with your basic cardiovascular fitness.

What ever path you take just make sure you take it easy and gradually increase your distance and effort, going too hard/long too soon is what causes most injuries.

I'd also recommend nipping to your GP, tell him you intend to start excising and get a check up if you haven't had one in a while.

That I agree with, don't run before you can walk, literally.

J

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
oh god im such a fatty since i gave up smoking, i intend to walk the 4 miles to and form my current camp site a couple of times a month with my full bag on my back. nearly killed me last time but it should help

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Walking in itself is great exercise, unfortunately it's not really good for weight loss unless you are doing longer walks.

It's just in my experience you reach a weight then stick there and even with more regular and longer walks it's difficult to get lower.....

To be honest, that's pretty true of all exercise regimens. It works until your body adapts and then reaches a plateau. Then you have to shock your body by changing the regimen.

Haggis

Nomad
Nigh a decade ago, and just after I retired from teaching, I visited the Doctor for my yearly physical. The hateful scale had me at 305 pounds; a 100 pounds of which I had added during my last few years teaching. Long story short, between March and September of that same year I lost the 100 new pounds, and have not regained it. I didn't exercise at all, other than three "push-a-ways" each day. Now I ride my bike in summer, snowshoe in winter, weigh myself each morning, and do "push-a-ways" as needed.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Honestly worth looking at what you are eating , I don't necessarily mean quantity of what your eating but what the ratios are , most of weight loss can be made in the kitchen. Look at increasing lean protien and real Veg , reducing fruit , cutting sugar completely and trying to limit the amount of complex Carbs on your plate and in your mouth. Not eating after 20:00 tends to also be a good move.

Good luck guys.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good for you Redeldog,

And it's attainable, for & after my pacemaker last year I managed to shift 12 stone in weight. Like you I did it by walking about, with diet change thrown in. Got myself an MP3 player for talking books to push me on when doing road pounding on the times I couldn't hit the woods. For the weight loss I bulked out soup with things like cous-cous and being a typical Scot ate tons of the stuff. Meat went back to being a luxury like it was when I was a kid rather than the main thing on our plate we expect every day today. Luckily I like things like dry crackers so they became a filling treat when the snack monkeys came upon you, and if combined with the right fruit or veg are very satisfying indeed.
Good luck with it, it's very doable, the closeness to wartime rationing seems uncannily close and may be worth a look, though remember that was to sustain a healthy nation during shortage, so that extra walking will be needed to burn the extra calories.
Would love to hear how you get on over time,
GB

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Hi there. I'm now 2.5 stone into this years big weight loss effort. You have my sympathy.

Artificially raising your exercise level is the least effective means of weight loss. At 100kg you burn only 167 calories per mile walked. If you intend to eat a recommended 3000 calories a day to achieve a noticeable weight loss you really need to be walking 3 - 4 miles a day! As soon as you stop you will put weight back on!

Obviously the reason you have gained weight is because you eat too much. (Unfortunate truth)

The simple way to get it off is to reduce your calorie intake. Try a typical diet intake of 1200 calories a day for a month see how much you lose. Most importantly when you have achieved the weight loss you want you need to up your intake in 500 calorie stages for a couple weeks or so at a time until you work out what your intake needs are.

Exercise as you have described on top of the reduced food intake will certainly help.

It takes work and time. You need to get into your daily routine how much you should eat and change your lifestyle.

Full English breakfast? Once a week. McDonald's? Once a month. Portion sizes: Meat in the palm of your hand. Carbs in the palm of your hand. Rest of the plate is veg. However watch the sauces and booze intake. You burn less calories walking a mile than in a pint of ale. These are normal healthy portions, not diet portions.

Service station Sandwich, Packet of crisps and a can of Coke: 750 calories.

Easiest win for me to lose weight was to cut out bread, pasta and potatoes. Try it and see how you do.

If you want an organised weight loss plan to lose weight fast contact a Cambridge Diet councillor. It is amazing but you need massive will power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Well done and keep it up! Eat less-move more!!

I went through the process in 2012 after reading the New Year Weight Loss thread. Started running too soon and gave myself shin-splints, I then did C25k and now run regularly. Went from 16st down to 12st and hover between 11st 11lb and 12st 8lb.

The only downside is all my outdoor gear looks massive on me - 38" waist trousers make you look like a tramp when you're 32"!

Best thing I ever did, went from not being able /bothered to have a kickaround with my son to being able to play as long as he wants.

Good luck!

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I should say, after i left the army i became a "gym nut" so the goals i set, my diet, etc i know how to change and how to increase as needed.

I just wanted somewhere to put out what i was doing, maybe to spur on some others who need it, mostly because if i have an audience who is watching my posts, i will spur myself on more and obtain my goals quicker.

Also with the weight carrying, it will go up as my weight decreases
for every kilo i lose i will put another in my pack. so i wont be putting any undue stress on myself as im already used to carrying that much weight.
Basically it always keeps my body training at this level, and the fitter i get the quicker i will walk so i am always turning up the exercise.

Once i can do sub 4 min miles then i will start to do short jogging intervals within my walks......and so on

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Good on you.

I've been doing the same since the start of the year. Started with around 3 miles a day in january, each month the distance went up by a mile 'till by april it was 6 miles a day with a longer one thrown in once a week (10 miles or so).
It's the daily bit that makes it work. When you head out and can still feel the session from the day before for the first half mile you know it's got to be doing something.

Started getting used to the hiking, it wasn't feeling quite so much like exercise but was taking up a lot of time. Was down three notches on the belt but more to the point my legs were transformed and by body was looking elsewhere for fat to burn.
Added a day at the climbing wall each week around then but was still carrying too much weight for an effective workout(tiring too quick and risking pulling something) so didn't push it...
...and switched from walking to cycling. That got me sweating again and I could control how each days session went. There's a big difference between pootling around and pushing on so if I'm short of time I can destroy myself in half an hour - with time to spare I'm doing about 15 miles a day.

Down another two notches on the belt since then, have dropped nigh-on all the excess body fat and it's just a bit of a gut to go. The belt is back in the same notch as it was when I bought it after popping the button of my suit trousers at work one day about 10 years ago. Being in sight of the finish has encouraged me recently to sort my diet out(cutting out sugar and junk food).

Couldn't tell you how much weight I've lost but down from 40" waist to 34½". The goal is 32" and being able to fit in my leathers again. The jacket is at least zipping up now but I'm just into the cheap trousers that I picked up as my waist was expanding, the good trousers are still a fair way off yet.

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I should say, after i left the army i became a "gym nut" so the goals i set, my diet, etc i know how to change and how to increase as needed.

I just wanted somewhere to put out what i was doing, maybe to spur on some others who need it, mostly because if i have an audience who is watching my posts, i will spur myself on more and obtain my goals quicker.

Also with the weight carrying, it will go up as my weight decreases
for every kilo i lose i will put another in my pack. so i wont be putting any undue stress on myself as im already used to carrying that much weight.
Basically it always keeps my body training at this level, and the fitter i get the quicker i will walk so i am always turning up the exercise.

Once i can do sub 4 min miles then i will start to do short jogging intervals within my walks......and so on

My advice is to forget adding weight to your rucksack, your joints only have so many impacts in them when carrying heavy loads.
It also serves absolutely no purpose.

The effort level cardio vascular wise is hardly noticeable and walking even with a heavy backpack is not a good way of adding muscle (too many repetitions), all you're really doing is adding a LOT more stress to your knees and ankles.
Walking up stairs or up a hill would be a far far better solutions, less impact on your joints plus a better cardio workout.

Levels of exercise is always a tricking balance.
On one level walking or very low level activities does use our bodies fat as fuel, on the other though you use a LOT less calories than a high level cardio activity like say cycling or running.
The general thought is that 1lb of body fat is somewhere around 3500 calories, i.e, you burn around 3500 more calories than you take in you lose 1lb of fat.
It's not really that simple in reality but it does serve as a good visualisation.

Diets are tricky, apart from a few exceptions generally they simply don't work long term, the vast majority of people who diet actually end up gaining weight over a 3 year period.
There are obviously exceptions, but generally dieting alone doesn't work long term, think about it, if it did the entire population would be slim.
There is a train of thought that our metabolism adapts to a certain weight after 1 year and will try it's hardest to retain that weight.
There have been studies that show the calorie intake for a person to maintain say 12 stone after losing weight is less than if someone was 12 stone to begin with, simply because the body is trying to get back to the target weight.

So my advice is to forget about a diet, eat sensibly and just concentrate on getting fitter.
If you start to exercise AND diet your body will think that there is something wrong and actually hold onto fat (it's emergency energy supply) so it's worse than if you ate the same stuff before you started exercising.

Getting fitter has many many more advantages than dieting.
After hard exercise our bodies will burn more calories up to 2 days after, so it's not just while you're exercising.
If you're fitter your body will get more efficient at burning calories.
As you get fitter you build muscle mass which uses more calories
Then there are the million other health benefits of getting healthier.

So my advice is:
Start your exercise slow (exactly as you are doing)
Gradually increase the level and duration of your exercise, (very very gradually)
Try and throw in some low impact exercise like swimming and/or cycling
Forget about adding weight to your rucksack, it has a insignificant benefit yet will dramatically increase the risk of injury.
Don't diet, continue to eat what you're eating (as long as you are exercising) but start to eat more healthy foods.

Keep us updated and again, well done.

Cheers
Mark

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
A lot of agreement from me in what Mark said above.

I'll not repeat it, but the only thing I would add is be aware of your genetic body type and tweak your regime around that. I'm a mesomorph so that influences what I do to stay fit. And I have to, as I get a pretty tough medical twice a year with work.

Running doesnt really work for me. So I use walking and weights (kettle bells specifically) and I stay at a 50" chest and 36" waist with that.

Good luck, eat clean and take it a lb at a time. You'll get there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE